Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2019, 12:59 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I'm surprised that the K1000 got as high as it did, given that there are so many models that are better but with the same handling.
We're typing in one of the few areas of the internet that readily recognizes that. In every other list elsewhere it invariably seems to wind up at the top purely by nostalgia and overall recognizability compared to other Pentaxes I'd say. Never fails to baffle me a bit.

12-27-2019, 01:22 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I'm surprised that the K1000 got as high as it did, given that there are so many models that are better but with the same handling.
I fully expected the K1000 to win, given how many people have used them and how they are almost universally recommended by the blogosphere. I suspect most K1000 users have never heard of a KX, regardless of their respective capability...

Can’t say I’m disappointed it didn’t win
12-27-2019, 01:57 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The MX beating the LX is a surprise.

I had an MX. It was my first proper camera. I replaced it with an LX. It was a far, far more capable camera. Aperture priority and TTL auto flash were game changers for me. For long exposures on film, the LX even had the Nikon F3 and Canon F1 beat with it's off the film auto exposure. Also, the motor drive was faster and had more battery options.

As wonderful as the MX was, I think the poll was influenced by a bit of nostalgia. When these were new, they weren't even in the same league.

These days, the MX is a better used buy. Being a lot simpler, it has turned out to be more reliable and easier to repair than the LX. That counts for a lot, some thirty odd years later, and probably accounts for the result.
12-27-2019, 07:30 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have no disapointment from the fact that the original AP came in almost last. We're about 62 years removed from it's original release and likely folks just haven't had a chance to try one in the condition as mine that was serviced and cleaned by Eric the Pentax Guy to like new . . .

And even if they did and they still don't rate it high, well they're entitled to their preferences anyway . . .

I really like Stephen Gundy's Pentax Original article in which he states, "The original Pentax was one of the rare pivotal designs which influenced millions of 35 SLRs."

12-28-2019, 06:14 AM   #20
Pentaxian

So the greatest Pentax film camera is one that offers the user the most convenience apparently and not the one that will yield the best quality print.
12-28-2019, 08:30 AM - 3 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
The MX beating the LX is a surprise.

I had an MX. It was my first proper camera. I replaced it with an LX. It was a far, far more capable camera. Aperture priority and TTL auto flash were game changers for me. For long exposures on film, the LX even had the Nikon F3 and Canon F1 beat with it's off the film auto exposure. Also, the motor drive was faster and had more battery options.

As wonderful as the MX was, I think the poll was influenced by a bit of nostalgia. When these were new, they weren't even in the same league.

These days, the MX is a better used buy. Being a lot simpler, it has turned out to be more reliable and easier to repair than the LX. That counts for a lot, some thirty odd years later, and probably accounts for the result.
My guess is that most people will only vote for a camera they have actually had the chance to use, and many more people have been able to handle / use an MX than the much-pricier LX. The MZ-S may be a wonderful camera, but I have only ever seen pictures of one, I've never handled one and I've never used one. Therefore, I didn't vote for it.

We should also keep in mind this whole thing was A BIT OF FUN. The results are not entirely meaningless, but we shouldn't put too much weight on exactly where each individual model came.

---------- Post added 12-28-19 at 03:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
So the greatest Pentax film camera is one that offers the user the most convenience apparently and not the one that will yield the best quality print.
Isn't the whole history of photography a story of convenience/capability versus quality? I love the quality I get from my 5x4 but I'm not going to take party snaps with it. As I wander around a beautiful historic church clutching nothing but my Pentax Q-S1 I regret at least not bringing the K-3 plus 28mm shift, if not the full LF gear. As great as the image quality is of a 6x7, not many want to lug that weight of equipment around for very long. The old aphorism that the best camera is the one you have with you has some truth to it. For many, 35mm offered, for very many years, the best compromise between quality and convenience.

K.
12-28-2019, 08:54 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote

Isn't the whole history of photography a story of convenience/capability versus quality? I love the quality I get from my 5x4 but I'm not going to take party snaps with it.

K.
I totally agree with that. Photgraphy is different things to different people. But I'd do 4x5 party snaps with with my Crown Graphics if I had a flash for it. And have done it with my P67 a lot. A 110 camera is small and convenient too but how many people think that is a serious camera.

12-28-2019, 09:45 AM - 3 Likes   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
This was a popularity contest, not a greatest contest.
Not sure about your experience, but my high-school prom King and Queen were never the best at anything, other than being liked.
12-28-2019, 09:51 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eyewanders Quote
This was a popularity contest, not a greatest contest.
Not sure about your experience, but my high-school prom King and Queen were never the best at anything, other than being liked.
Very good point
12-28-2019, 01:52 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My guess is that most people will only vote for a camera they have actually had the chance to use, and many more people have been able to handle / use an MX than the much-pricier LX. The MZ-S may be a wonderful camera, but I have only ever seen pictures of one, I've never handled one and I've never used one. Therefore, I didn't vote for it.
My guess is that more people voted for the LX than have actually owned or used one, based on its reputation. The opposite would be true for the MX, which has enjoyed broad ownership, but whose reputation also may have had an effect on some who haven’t owned one. The older film cameras, frankly, would have enjoyed greater success if those who used them the most were still alive (or maybe just on this Forum) to cast a vote!

We should also keep in mind this whole thing was A BIT OF FUN. The results are not entirely meaningless, but we shouldn't put too much weight on exactly where each individual model came.
Precisely.
12-28-2019, 11:29 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I though the KX would have ranked higher.................

Phil.
12-29-2019, 03:36 AM   #27

Original Poster
Thanks for everyone who has commented. I'd like to echo some of those that responded so far - this was only intended as a bit of fun; I thought it might be an interesting way to mark the 100th anniversary of the founding of Pentax. It's certainly put a few more Pentax bodies on my shopping list.

Also, I've picked the three winners for the prizes and notified, and I've deleted the list of emails.

Now - where to find a Pentax MZ-S?

S
12-29-2019, 06:22 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote

Phil.
I like the KX and it is a fine camera. When I purchased my first MX in 1978 I was impressed with its Gallium light meter and compact size and never got to see the KX at that time. I now have five MXs and one mint serviced LX. I don't trust the LX and don't need its fancy metering and the consequent automation. The MX (and KX of which I have 3) give me the control and reliability I enjoy. I admire the LX, but don't enjoy using it. My SV also comes before it, for the pleasure of use.
12-29-2019, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote

Phil.
It's possible the results were unduly skewed by Russian bots . . .
12-29-2019, 01:32 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I have no disapointment from the fact that the original AP came in almost last. We're about 62 years removed from it's original release and likely folks just haven't had a chance to try one in the condition as mine that was serviced and cleaned by Eric the Pentax Guy to like new . . .

And even if they did and they still don't rate it high, well they're entitled to their preferences anyway . . .

I really like Stephen Gundy's Pentax Original article in which he states, "The original Pentax was one of the rare pivotal designs which influenced millions of 35 SLRs."
If I were to sell most of my film cameras I would keep my restored AP, restored LX and my orange R SV. I really could make do with just the LX - why does one need more than one film camera anyway?