Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2019, 03:54 AM   #1

Pentax Z-5p

Hello.
I bought this camera under 10 USD, from a flea market (I don't know if working). Have someone any info for this camera? User manual from somewhere or for anything like that? Thank you.

12-29-2019, 05:41 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lonerider41life Quote
Hello.
I bought this camera under 10 USD, from a flea market (I don't know if working). Have someone any info for this camera? User manual from somewhere or for anything like that? Thank you.
If it is working, then you have a bargain. Pentax Z-5p - Pentax Autofocus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

The Z5-p is an underrated model in the Pentax film-era line-up. It has screwdrive autofocus, a shutter that goes up to 1/8000th and a high flash sync speed of 1/250th. It also features a panorama mode that you access by sliding a lever on the back.

Getting a manual is difficult. I believe the camera was originally intended for the Japan market only. The manual can be found on the Internet, but is in Japanese. That said, the controls and program are like an early version of a Pentax DSLR, especially in the Hyperprogram mode. It isn't too hard to figure out.

You will need to find 2CR5 batteries for the camera and drive. There is a separate battery for the data back. I can't remember which size you will need but the correct type should be engraved on the inside of the camera.

Pentax Z 1991-2000 - www.pentax-slr.com has more info.
12-29-2019, 06:01 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you for infos. I found the manual (in JP, I think) for Pentax Z-5 (I suppose the same camera). Yes the Z-5p only for JP. Need to buy 2CR5 battery and try to start. Camera is very dirty, I hope still work. Thank you, again.

George.
12-29-2019, 06:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is a very nice camera! great deal!!!

12-29-2019, 06:39 AM   #5

Original Poster
Pentax Z-5p

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
That is a very nice camera! great deal!!!
I hope it still work..., will buy 2CR5 battery tomorrow...
12-29-2019, 07:38 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good luck!
12-29-2019, 02:03 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Z5-p shares many of the features of the earlier Z1. The English manual for the Z1 is available here: http://www.photon.me.uk/matt/cameras/pentax/Pentax-Z1.pdf

Hopefully you will be able to spot the similarities and differences.

12-30-2019, 08:13 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shedking Quote
The Z5-p shares many of the features of the earlier Z1. The English manual for the Z1 is available here: http://www.photon.me.uk/matt/cameras/pentax/Pentax-Z1.pdf

Hopefully you will be able to spot the similarities and differences.
I have a Z-5p I got from a Japanese seller on eBay. I think I paid $65 plus $17 shipping. Mine works well but this is some degradation on the prism...I see two lines, one on each side outside of the viewing area...so it doesn't interfere with use. Also, the usual crack in the base near the battery door. After getting this camera I absolutely loved shooting with it. I've since purchased a Z-1 and a PZ-1p. While I have a nice MZ-3, I much rather shoot with the Z cameras...the 2 dial controls are a brilliant design.
Common issues I'm seeing on these are broken pop-up flash (cause by breakage of spring post), cracks or chips on the base near the battery door, prism degradation and viewfinder LEDs background too bright, and there are motor issues I hear but haven't experienced.

Hope it works.

12-30-2019, 08:17 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is that a Pentamirror or Pentaprism viewfinder?
12-30-2019, 10:19 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Is that a Pentamirror or Pentaprism viewfinder?
I suspect the Z5-p has a pentaprism.

The Z10 was one of the first (if not the first) Pentax to use a pentamirror. The K-mount page gives its magnification as 0.77x, but the Z5-p is listed as 0.80x, suggesting that a pentaprism was used in the premium cameras.

Z/PZ-Series Film Bodies | The K-Mount Page
12-30-2019, 07:25 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shedking Quote
I suspect the Z5-p has a pentaprism.

The Z10 was one of the first (if not the first) Pentax to use a pentamirror. The K-mount page gives its magnification as 0.77x, but the Z5-p is listed as 0.80x, suggesting that a pentaprism was used in the premium cameras.

Z/PZ-Series Film Bodies | The K-Mount Page
I think it's a pentaprism too. I have a PZ-1 with similar degredation patterns. It not like the type you usually see...like in ES or ESII...the dark line through the middle. There look like floaters, whiteish, on the sides outside the image area. I don't know what causes it. I bought a couple of parts PZ-1s and one actually works except the flash doesn't stay down. I swapped the top plate out for one I had with a small dent in the side. When I get a chance I'm going to take the top off again and if I can't fix the flash, I might disassemble the prism area and see how it held in place. Maybe it's a tape mark or something.

01-02-2020, 07:06 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Regarding the Z-5p...does it have a LED backlight. On the Z-1 and Z-1p the backlight turns on by pressing the 2 buttons simultaneously on the back...spot AF and Exp comp. On the Z-5p it doesn't work. Seems odd because even lesser model SFs had a backlight.

01-04-2020, 11:45 AM   #13

Original Poster
The camera is broken. Dissasembled it, the circuits are highly oxidized, cleaned with isopropyl alcohol, still doesn't work. Lens is dirty, but OK.
01-06-2020, 03:51 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lonerider41life Quote
The camera is broken. Dissasembled it, the circuits are highly oxidized, cleaned with isopropyl alcohol, still doesn't work. Lens is dirty, but OK.
That's a shame. Sorry to hear that. K.