Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-13-2020, 06:27 AM   #16

It would be interesting to actuate the right switch only on some of the models with two switches to see what functions are enabled or disabled.

It would make sense to not popup the built in flash when an external flash is mounted on the shoe.

When did Asahi/Pentax introduce the flash shoe cover?

01-13-2020, 09:43 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Though that doesn’t give any hints about the pop up flash disabling

-Eric
Except that presence of the pin(s)/switch(es) goes back to the earliest Pentax hot shoes and has a very specific historic primary purpose. I don't own any cameras with popup flash and could not test whether it might also disable auto-popup.

Steve
01-13-2020, 09:58 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It would be interesting to actuate the right switch only on some of the models with two switches to see what functions are enabled or disabled.
I tested that on the models I own in regards to the PC connectors. The switches on those cameras are wired in parallel.

It would make sense to not popup the built in flash when an external flash is mounted on the shoe.
Have any Pentax cameras featured auto popup?

Steve
01-13-2020, 10:05 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I tested that on the models I own in regards to the PC connectors. The switches on those cameras are wired in parallel.

Steve
I think some of the MZ/ZX bodies did, in certain modes.
Though my memory may be confounding that behavior with something else...

I’ll try a ZX-£ when I get home...

-Eric

01-13-2020, 11:31 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I just checked, and can confirm. As you can see in the picture, there's the little switch on the hot shoe that let's the camera know something's there. You can also see the cover.
I thought it wouldn't let the flash pop up, but it does. Makes sense if you're using both the on board flash and the hot shoe adapter FG.
What I found is that it just limits the shutter speed to the maximum flash sync speed of the camera (ZX-L, 1/125th sec.).

Last edited by torashi; 01-13-2020 at 11:47 AM.
01-13-2020, 11:58 AM   #21
Veteran Member

The ZX-L does in auto picture mode, which is good since you want to be in control in any other mode. It is also probably the reason why the button is electronic, instead of a hard bypass switch and lever like on my MZ-S and K-5. They both flash the lightning flash sign inside and outside the viewfinder like begging for flash under the right circumstances.

01-13-2020, 12:26 PM   #22

Should be the models with the infamous solenoid to popup the flash. Example from the K-x manual (see middle of page 69)

01-13-2020, 01:30 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Should be the models with the infamous solenoid to popup the flash.
The *istDS has auto popup, while the *istD (mechanical latch) does not. Both are pictured on the front of the manual with hot shoe covers. Doing a quick survey of my Pentax manual library, cover photos/illustrations with hot shoe covers seem to start with the ZX/MZ series bodies.

Steve