Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2020, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is quite amazing - "A long exposure timer/self-timer/remote shutter trigger"

A long exposure timer/self-timer/remote shutter trigger/intervalometer I designed and built for use with analog cameras. : AnalogCommunity

From the creator:
QuoteQuote:
I do lots of long exposure photography with film cameras, and have been wanting a timer that would automate the shutter release process for years. I got a 3D printer recently, and was finally able to design and build exactly what I had been looking for.

After a ton of iterations it finally works perfectly, and can control long exposures, delayed shutter actuation, and shutter actuation at preset intervals. The shutter cable screws into old style, threaded shutter release buttons/switches found on most mechanical film cameras.

I'm planning to post the 3D printer files somewhere, and do a write-up of the plans and process to put it together eventually.
Truly awesome.
(Would also be a bit of fun to do the calculations and pit it against an LX..... Garry Kasparov vs Deep Black)

01-14-2020, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
wow, that is dedication! such a cool gadget.
01-14-2020, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice! Should be able to ease it into an insulated sleeve for winter cold operation.
01-14-2020, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Very cool and thanks for the link.

01-22-2020, 12:26 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Back in 2012 I built a wireless remote for my film cameras with an option for an IR beam switch. I made my own single layer circuit boards. Shown is a CO2 canister version for a long air hose type cable release. I have an electric solenoid version for shorter, mechanical cables. My 500C/M takes a lot of force to trip it's shutter.

01-22-2020, 06:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Back in 2012 I built a wireless remote for my film cameras with an option for an IR beam switch. I made my own single layer circuit boards. Shown is a CO2 canister version for a long air hose type cable release. I have an electric solenoid version for shorter, mechanical cables. My 500C/M takes a lot of force to trip it's shutter.
Nice one!

I was mulling around a design using RC car controls that are readily available.
01-22-2020, 07:26 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Nice one!

I was mulling around a design using RC car controls that are readily available.
Thanks. I thought I'd use that IR beam switch more but I really haven't.

01-22-2020, 09:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Thanks. I thought I'd use that IR beam switch more but I really haven't.
I haven't used the IR setup on my Minolta X-700 either.

---------- Post added 01-22-20 at 11:19 PM ----------

Remote actuator from an ad in a 70's magazine. This is the form factor I have in mind . . .