Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2020, 06:32 AM   #1

Best K mount camera for M42 Takumar

Most lenses I have are Super Takumar with M42 mount.

Those are the pretty much the only lenses I use when shooting digital. Heck, I don’t even have an autofocus lens.

I’ve always shot 35mm film with a Spotmatic that died, so I want to replace it with a camera with a K mount.

So the question is: which Pentax K mount camera deals better with adapted Takumars??

Thanks!!

01-20-2020, 06:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you liked using a Spotmatic, something like the KX or KM would be a good fit. I'd avoid anything that is Av only, but most of the others would work fine, e.g., MX, LX etc.

K.
01-20-2020, 06:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Viernes Quote
Most lenses I have are Super Takumar with M42 mount.

Those are the pretty much the only lenses I use when shooting digital. Heck, I don’t even have an autofocus lens.

I’ve always shot 35mm film with a Spotmatic that died, so I want to replace it with a camera with a K mount.

So the question is: which Pentax K mount camera deals better with adapted Takumars??

Thanks!!
The K-1 and K-1ii are currently the best digital cameras for those lenses in that they are the only digital cameras which will show you the same area in the viewfinder that a 35mm camera would have.shown. For example, with one of them, a 50mm lens gives a ‘normal’ view; with any other Pentax camera they give a mildly telephoto view - a 50mm lens gives the sort of view that a 75mm lens would have given on a 35mm camera.
01-20-2020, 07:08 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The K-1 and K-1ii are currently the best digital cameras for those lenses in that they are the only digital cameras which will show you the same area in the viewfinder that a 35mm camera would have.shown. For example, with one of them, a 50mm lens gives a ‘normal’ view; with any other Pentax camera they give a mildly telephoto view - a 50mm lens gives the sort of view that a 75mm lens would have given on a 35mm camera.
I already have a digital body, I’m looking to replace my film camera.

My Spotmatic died, so I want to buy a 35mm camera with a K mount.

01-20-2020, 07:16 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I already have a digital body, I’m looking to replace my film camera.

My Spotmatic died, so I want to buy a 35mm camera with a K mount.
In that case, I don’t think it really matters; they all will work with a M42 Mount lens with adapter. Why not get another Spotmatic? Periodically I see one for sale here; likewise on eBay. You could also get a K1000 - which I have heard was a K Mount version of a Spotmatic.
01-20-2020, 07:43 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K1000s are over priced and under specified. The closest match for the Spottie would be a KM which have more features than the K1000 for a fraction of the price.

~ducks the brickbats thrown by the K1000 fans...
01-20-2020, 07:54 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would lean towards a camera with automatic and manual modes. I liked my ME Super for m42 and found it easy, as it automatically would adjust the exposure when stopping down when in auto mode, or I could go manual, and they are inexpensive and plentiful to find, but If you're looking for a film camera and most of your lenses are m42, why not another Spotmatic, perhaps an ES? That way you maintain control of your aperture for metering and don't have to mess around with manually opening up to focus and stopping down for the actual shot, and you don't end up having to mess with adapters. That aside, other K mount bodies I'd check out would include things like the K2 as another with an aperture priority mode that will adjust your exposure automatically as you stop down or give you a manual option. For full manual, check out a KX, or MX, which often come around on eBay for not too much - often less than what you'll see a K1000 go for.

01-20-2020, 08:15 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think when adapting an m42 lens to a non-m42 camera body, suddenly you have all kinds of options, as m42 has a long register distance and adapters take up the slack. Obvious the K-1 is a great option but I could see going to a good micro 4/3rds camera and using a speedbooster to give back to field of view that would otherwise be missing. Something with good focus peaking in an electronic view finder.

A Chinon CE-4s, Pentax LX, or Ricoh XR7 would get my interest if I wanted to stay with film.
01-20-2020, 08:20 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would say go get another spottie if you want to stick with film. They can be had for a song and I frequently see ones sold locally around me for $25 to $30 often with a 55mm f/1.8 body cap included.
01-20-2020, 08:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Theres alot of options out there and alot of it falls to personal preferences.. nice thing about pentax is how easy it is to use m42 on k mounts.My only advice is consider the focusing screen. My preference with m42 lens is to use them on a camera with a split focusing screen. For me... I find it easier.

Good luck!
AL
01-20-2020, 08:45 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I think when adapting an m42 lens to a non-m42 camera body, suddenly you have all kinds of options, as m42 has a long register distance and adapters take up the slack. Obvious the K-1 is a great option but I could see going to a good micro 4/3rds camera and using a speedbooster to give back to field of view that would otherwise be missing. Something with good focus peaking in an electronic view finder.

A Chinon CE-4s, Pentax LX, or Ricoh XR7 would get my interest if I wanted to stay with film.
While I have a Pentax DSLR, my main digital camera is a m4/3 Olympus. I use it with my Takumars and a few other old manual lenses with an adapter.

When I’m shooting film I always use that Spotmatic.

---------- Post added 01-20-20 at 08:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I would lean towards a camera with automatic and manual modes. I liked my ME Super for m42 and found it easy, as it automatically would adjust the exposure when stopping down when in auto mode, or I could go manual, and they are inexpensive and plentiful to find, but If you're looking for a film camera and most of your lenses are m42, why not another Spotmatic, perhaps an ES? That way you maintain control of your aperture for metering and don't have to mess around with manually opening up to focus and stopping down for the actual shot, and you don't end up having to mess with adapters. That aside, other K mount bodies I'd check out would include things like the K2 as another with an aperture priority mode that will adjust your exposure automatically as you stop down or give you a manual option. For full manual, check out a KX, or MX, which often come around on eBay for not too much - often less than what you'll see a K1000 go for.
I live in Argentina and in here, for some unknown reason, the MX is one of the most expensive film cameras you can buy.

Maybe because of its huge viewfinder?
I’ve never used one, so I can’t tell.
01-20-2020, 09:29 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think when adapting an m42 lens to a non-m42 camera body, suddenly you have all kinds of options, as m42 has a long register distance and adapters take up the slack.
The register distance is the same on a Pentax m42 body as the Pentax K mount body, which is why the proper Pentax adapters, which fit flush, focus to infinity. but the ones ones with the raised flange do not.
01-20-2020, 10:09 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I mean going from m42 to something like x-mount or ef, etc. I know that m42 and k are the same which is why it's so easy to make a mount adapter to go between. You just can't have that flange.
01-20-2020, 10:25 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I mean going from m42 to something like x-mount or ef, etc. I know that m42 and k are the same which is why it's so easy to make a mount adapter to go between. You just can't have that flange.

All good - I wasn't sure if you were meaning from something other than Pentax, which is why I specifically wrote Pentax - wanted to make sure someone not familiar with all this didn't get confused.
01-20-2020, 10:27 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I live in Argentina and in here, for some unknown reason, the MX is one of the most expensive film cameras you can buy.
Maybe check if there would be import fees and watch the U.S. eBay for Japanese sellers who ship world wide or someone from here. I've had a few purchases from Japan, which have all gone well. Actually waiting on a KX from Japan now.