Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2020, 10:00 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Time past, I've circumvented symptoms like this by fitting the "ever-ready" carrying case ... doesn't fix the problem, but can help prevent it causing an issue. Just remember, when changing film, to rewind the film before removing the case, then refit the case before winding on. You don't need to use the whole case if you don't want to, just the lower half is adequate ... might help save on further repair bills
hard to find one nowadays though! will try!

03-19-2020, 10:27 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by choonie Quote
Seems like its not bad, the felt looks orderly. I couldn't slide any paper into the hinges
Obviously you are in a better position to judge but from your photo, that felt seal certainly isn't new and it looks quite worn to me. Given that the light leak seems to be the same width from top to bottom, it seems to suggest that the hinge seal would be the most likely cause. On the first photograph that you posted, there is quite a wide area of light damage but you can also see several smaller strips of damage which would have happened as the film was advanced. It doesn't look like a shutter problem to me.

Why don't you put another roll of film in and then tape up the rear camera door, just to diagnose the fault?
03-19-2020, 10:38 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
Obviously you are in a better position to judge but from your photo, that felt seal certainly isn't new and it looks quite worn to me. Given that the light leak seems to be the same width from top to bottom, it seems to suggest that the hinge seal would be the most likely cause. On the first photograph that you posted, there is quite a wide area of light damage but you can also see several smaller strips of damage which would have happened as the film was advanced. It doesn't look like a shutter problem to me.

Why don't you put another roll of film in and then tape up the rear camera door, just to diagnose the fault?
will do just that! thanks for all the help and advice Vendee. will update again!
03-19-2020, 12:15 PM   #19

In my experience this type of leak is due to the seal at the hinge side of the door. The position and intensity varies because of the amount of slack and position on the roll on the take up spool, the orientation of the hinge to the light source, the intensity of the light source and duration or length of time before the frame is moved.

It would not hurt to replace all the light seals but your main culprit to look at is the hinge side seal.

03-19-2020, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Order a light seal kit from Jon Goodman

jgood21967@aol.com

Jon Goodman
9153 Loma Vista Dr.
Dallas, TX 75243-7407
USA

03-19-2020, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by choonie Quote
Hello guys, i've just gotten my pentax back from repair and shot two rolls of it
unfortunately there is this light leak which, i've been reading up, is coming from the front of the camera. the leak is not on every shot, mayb just 10/36 of it, could it be a particular shutter speed i shot at that affects the leak? ive attached some shots for reference.
The most common cause for this sort of leak is the felt light trap on the film canister. Are you seeing this on both rolls that you shot? Poor handling by the processing lab may also be a cause.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-19-2020 at 04:52 PM.
03-19-2020, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had similar problems with the seals on my ME Super. It turned out to be the hinge, but it was somewhat unpredictable, depending (I think) on how well my right hand was covering the hinge. I replaced the seals and the problem went away. Vendee's suggestion to tape over the door joints as a test is a good one.

03-20-2020, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Your symptoms look exactly like you'd expect from a poor seal at the door hinge, as previously described.

It takes only a microscopic gap at the door hinge to let a few photons past and onto your exposed film on the takeup spool. The effect will vary from shot to shot, depending on how long you let a piece of film sit next to the hinge (if you shoot quickly, you'll get a few frames without marks), how bright the exterior light is, and how far along you are in the roll (the takeup spool gets fatter later in the roll).

Pentax did use very durable hinge seals on cameras like the ME Super, but they don't last forever. Also, the hinge itself can get loose and gap more than when new.

If you want to test if the hinge seal is the culprit, load a roll of film, and then cover the hinge with opaque black tape - electrical tape works, but remove it when done unless you like gummy residue. Chances are the roll will come out without marks.

But, no, vertical stripes from top to bottom on the film aren't caused by mirror pads, shutter blade issues, or the frame counter re-set plunger.