Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2020, 01:54 PM   #1

Pentax LX Focus Calibration Issues

I am seeing an unreasonable number of out of focus shots on my LX. I recently installed an SA-23 which I am using with my 43mm 1.9, and even when I focus carefully It seems that I am off when I finally see the film.

Do these fall out of calibration easily?

04-29-2020, 02:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sperdynamite Quote
I am seeing an unreasonable number of out of focus shots on my LX. I recently installed an SA-23 which I am using with my 43mm 1.9, and even when I focus carefully It seems that I am off when I finally see the film.

Do these fall out of calibration easily?
Did you also adjust the diopter setting on your LX finder? If so the new screen may not be mounted correctly?

Phil.
04-29-2020, 02:21 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In addition to what Phil said it could be that the mirror is not sitting properly....either because the rubber bumpers are worn, or they may have been replaced and not installed optimally.
04-30-2020, 07:41 AM   #4

Original Poster
I just did a very simple test which I'm astounded I did not do before... I put the camera to my eye with my (in this case) 31/1.8 focused to infinity. Guess what, it was all out of focus! Not completely bokeh'd out but unsharp. I then put a little pressure on the GG and checked again, sharp. So I think that the seating of the GG is a bit shaky or loose. I wonder if I should try and DIY a fix or just send it in for repair... The screen is for fast lenses and I'd like to be confident that I can focus wide open and nail shots, which shouldn't be asking for much since the Limiteds are really not 'that' fast.

04-30-2020, 04:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
.either because the rubber bumpers are worn
This was the case of my LX - rubber bumpers became thinner and thinner over time, as result the mirror is not aligned properly.