Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2020, 03:27 AM   #1

Spotmatic SP500 - Meter working but with some issues

Hi all, thanks in advance for your help.

I shoot with a SP500, all the shots look fine and that means that the meter is working and accurate enough.

The only issue I've had since day 1 with this camera is that every time I'm using the meter and the needle reaches the extremities (all the way up or down) it gets stuck to the top or bottom. Moving the sutter speed dial or the aperture ring won't bring the needle back to the middle, what I do to unblock it is a gentle tap on the front of the lens.

I've tried with different lenses and the issue is still there, no corrosion in the battery slot.
As you can imagine this is a bit distracting when shooting, still I've lived with this problem for all this time and I'd rather have a working meter with defects than a broken meter..
I've checked here in the forum and on the web, I didn't find anyone with this same problem. so before open the bonnet I thought I'd check with the experts

Thanks so much,
D

05-29-2020, 03:40 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
This is usually a sign that there is corrosion or dust in the needle pivot bearing or possibly that the needle is making physical contact with the casing or screen. If it is dust then you may be able to clear it with a careful blast of canned air but normally once they start doing this it is time for a replacement meter.
05-29-2020, 04:11 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ray-uk Quote
This is usually a sign that there is corrosion or dust in the needle pivot bearing or possibly that the needle is making physical contact with the casing or screen. If it is dust then you may be able to clear it with a careful blast of canned air but normally once they start doing this it is time for a replacement meter.
Thanks a lot! I hope it's just dust.
Cheers, D