Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2020, 06:23 AM   #1

someone offered a deal on a LX and consern about issues.

Hello everyone

Currently I have a MX and collected a bunch of M lenses to suit. I really enjoy the mx however I wanted to get a second body that has automatic mode.

I have been drooling over the LX due to its long exposure times to 1/2000 and its functionality (I like waist level viewfinders). however I have been put off by the amount of issues people bring up the camera "its the best camera i used... but...". tech gets on over the years however I feel i could get a few years (probably more) with the right purchase. However is it worth trying to pick up a LX in 2020? or am i seeing a squed view of the reliability of the camera from the internet?

Now someone has approached me on ebay with a deal i think is reasonable. looks to be a later model and kept very well, the person says it has been CLA in america where he picked it up but doesn't have the paper work. i am sitting on my hands not to impulse, however i want to see video of it working and pics of the mirror. Is there things i should look out for with the LX?

Thankyou for any help.

06-16-2020, 07:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If the other party approached you about buying their lens, I would be very careful. On various forums, I have read numerous accounts of scammers initiating contact such as this. Not saying this is a scam, but take it easy. Require them to prove who they are and that they have the camera in question.
06-16-2020, 07:58 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aisjam Quote
I wanted to get a second body that has automatic mode
The LX has many features no other film era Pentax has. But that comes at a price. Sticky mirror syndrome is one thing to watch for.

For utility (albeit without the waist level finder capability), the SuperA/Super Program offers 1/2000 plus modes that the LX does not like P and Tv.
06-16-2020, 10:29 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If they offer money back then close the deal!

I have two perfectly working LX cameras that I've now used for over 10 years . . . but looking for a third . . .

Also, welcome aboard and good luck!

Last edited by LesDMess; 06-16-2020 at 10:39 AM.
06-16-2020, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The LX waist-level finder unmagnified image is just too small to use - at waist level.
It's very hard to find and pricey as well. So don't buy an LX just for that capability.

Fortunately the other LX accessory viewfinders are very good.

Chris
06-16-2020, 11:14 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Long before the LX, 35mm slrs had waist level finders so it must have been useful. After using it myself, I can say that you can frame a shot with it below eye level and get in the ballpark with the lens distance marker. However critical focus can only be perfect if you use the magnifier. Also, I suppose back in the day, critical focus was not a concern with typical small prints. These days, with high res scans and on-screen magnification, critical focus may be a bigger concern.

Of course the LX's meter is unaffected by external light entering the viewfinder while in aperture priority, unlike the other similarly equipped and capable Nikon F3 and Canon New F-1.

Last edited by LesDMess; 06-16-2020 at 12:44 PM.
06-16-2020, 04:21 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thankyou everyone,

First of, this person is an ebay seller so i have a bit of protection there, and being an internet stalker he seems like a legit person wanting to pass on his gear. There wasn't a photo of the mirror directly in the photos so i am going to ask for a video today asking to show the shutter working. He has highlighted it in the comments that its fully working so can use that in ebay if its not.

it has most of the accessories i wanted so i see it as a good deal. the reason i want a waste level viewfinder either ff-1 or fe-1 is im 6f6 and its easier to get to someones level without bending over. I use my Yashica 635 alot in the same way. but nessary to have the magnifier

06-16-2020, 09:47 PM   #8
Pentaxian

"its the best camera i used... but...".
It’s (technically) the best 35mm camera I’ve used, no buts.

I’ve had two LX’s, both purchased in good condition from members here, and both have performed perfectly.

Still prefer the MX though
06-16-2020, 09:53 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote

I’ve had two LX’s, both purchased in good condition from members here, and both have performed perfectly.

Because of the size?
06-16-2020, 11:16 PM   #10

Original Poster

Ok will be picking this up. Hope this stops my GAS...

Im pretty sure ill be in the same boat nick. I really enjoy the mx, mainly it can skip the batteries all together. im glad i stumbled onto the MX pretty quicky. with the m50 1.4f lens, its hard to get out of my hands.

I want ether the m85 or m100 to have that closer focal lenght (tba im have 9 pentax m lenses atm). however Im pretty sure i would just get the Pentax A 50mm 1.2. seems to be my favourate focal length... dam it GAS!
06-17-2020, 12:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I think when you buy vintage its always wise to factor in and think about CLA costs on top. Sellers can be clueless rather than dishonest in many cases.

I bagged a camera some months back and the seller seemed knowledgeable but in fact the camera had issues, I got the camera cheap but it need need a pro tech to sort it out, final bill for the box and the tech still gave a good price and now I KNOW its serviced and likley to run reliably for a chunk of time.

I never buy with an expectation it will be fully ok because out of maybe 30 cameras acquired through eBay and dealers sight unseen only one of them has had zero issues. Most have been fixed by me but at least 5 have needed professional work the majority have all been claimed to be perfect by their sellers, some are dishonest but i honestly think most have been clueless.
06-17-2020, 05:42 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agreed on the MX. I bought my LX new not long after it came out, and already had an MX. The LX has great workmanship and high-spec features - but like most users I just used the basic camera, so it was a bigger and heavier MX to me. I also prefer the MX shutter and mirror sound.
My LX sat unused for years after the mirror rest sagged and got sticky, affecting focus and action. Had it fixed by Eric after I retired, so it’s fine now, but I Use the MX more.
For high precision SLR I still go back to my Leicaflex SL.
06-17-2020, 05:34 PM   #13

Original Poster
I really enjoyed how the MX slowed me down when taking photos, also being creative since the whole thing is manual. I enjoy creating double exposures which is easy with the 1/2 stop exposure meter. I dont know, from the top down point of view with the MX, im getting pretty good with not even using the view finder and hip firing the shutter. And being able to try a variety of focal lengths for cheap. I found what lenses I like.

the LX I wanted the FF-1 or FE-1 (just picked up the FE-1) so i can get fine focus like i do on my yashica 635. also be able to be a bit faster with auto mode when shooting people.

However i wanted a second body as I have 1 project that uses one type of film, i try to go out every other morning and capture the rural town i live in befor i move on. probably make a zine like the cool kids. however i it stops taking it when its half role and going to do something else. I feel the LX and MX would be a good combo.
06-18-2020, 12:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

the LX I wanted the FF-1 or FE-1 (just picked up the FE-1) so i can get fine focus like i do on my yashica 635. also be able to be a bit faster with auto mode when shooting people.
Oh dear, you've bought the finder, you need a body now... an LX is not good for GAS, too many accessories...

As far as multiple exposures go, the LX film counter clicks back accurately as you rewind. This allows you to go back to any previous frame and re-expose it (accuracy to 0.2mm IIRC).
06-18-2020, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Because of the size?
Not so much the size, I just like the simplicity. I find that the MX is one of those cameras that does what I want very well, and for everything else it just gets out of the way.

The LX is infinitely capable, it’s just very rare that I actually use those capabilities.

---------- Post added 06-18-20 at 11:54 PM ----------

I want ether the m85 or m100 to have that closer focal lenght (tba im have 9 pentax m lenses atm). however Im pretty sure i would just get the Pentax A 50mm 1.2. seems to be my favourate focal length... dam it GAS!
If it makes you feel any better, the A50/f1.2 isn’t any better than the M50/f1.4 at any of the apertures they share, and f1.2 isn’t really much faster than f1.4 in practice. Assuming you do decide to get an f1.2 though, go with the K version. It’s cheaper and better made than the A version, optically identical, and you can’t use the A setting on an MX or LX anyway...

M100/f2.8 is an underrated gem. Great lens.