Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-17-2020, 09:51 AM   #1

Is this normal in an MX?

I was going to take my new to me MX out today. I put a 135mm lens on it and found the light meter would not work. (It works without a lens.) Then I put another lens on it and it worked until I changed the aperture, then it stopped working. All 3 of my current Pentax lenses have an A setting because they are for my P3. I found that the light meter would only work if the lens was set to A which would be f22 only on the MX. I have never tried an A lens on a manual Pentax before. Is this normal or do I have a problem? One week from today I plan to order a manual 40mm 2.8. I hope I don’t have a problem because I do like having a light meter in camera.

06-17-2020, 10:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What shutter speed are you using and what is the ASA set to?

A Series lenses need to be off the "A" setting on the MX, set the lens aperture to f/8, the ASA at 100 and the shutter to 1/60 you should get some sort of reading?

Phil.
06-17-2020, 12:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like an issue with the aperture arm follower in the body side of the mount.
06-17-2020, 12:07 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How is the battery in your MX?

Steve

06-17-2020, 12:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Sounds like an issue with the aperture arm follower in the body side of the mount.
Agreed. It sounds like the variable resistor around the lens mount that is connected to the aperture follower is likely dirty or corroded and making poor contact. Moving to its extremes (like f22) can make it work, but not through the rest of the range. Getting it cleaned may be in order. Hopefully it's not worn through.
06-17-2020, 03:04 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
How is the battery in your MX?

Steve
They are new

---------- Post added 06-17-20 at 03:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
Agreed. It sounds like the variable resistor around the lens mount that is connected to the aperture follower is likely dirty or corroded and making poor contact. Moving to its extremes (like f22) can make it work, but not through the rest of the range. Getting it cleaned may be in order. Hopefully it's not worn through.
Thanks, that is what it appears to be. I guess i will use it without a light meter.
06-17-2020, 11:59 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Try moving the following gently across the full range of each: shutter speed dial, ISO dial and the aperture simulator (opposite the stop down lever) on the body. There may be dirt on a contact that movement may dislodge.

I had a KX which had a similar problem, doing the above helped identify where the problem was (dodgy contact in the ISO dial).