Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2020, 08:56 PM   #1

Pentax LX or MX Focus Screen

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello all, Im a fellow Pentax slr enthusiast and I have recently acquired the Pentax lx. Its in near mint condition but the only thing that seems to be wrong is the focus screen. It seems to have some scratches and fogginess on it. Do you know if this will affect the images at all ? If so, I was wondering if anyone had a spare LX or MX focus screen that I could buy. Thank you !

07-04-2020, 09:23 PM   #2
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by misledyouthx Quote
Its in near mint condition but the only thing that seems to be wrong is the focus screen
Hi misledyouthx,

Don't worry, both DSLRs and film, the result of the photos does not depend on the focusing screen, but on the film or sensor.
07-05-2020, 12:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by misledyouthx Quote
Hello all, Im a fellow Pentax slr enthusiast and I have recently acquired the Pentax lx. Its in near mint condition but the only thing that seems to be wrong is the focus screen. It seems to have some scratches and fogginess on it. Do you know if this will affect the images at all ? If so, I was wondering if anyone had a spare LX or MX focus screen that I could buy. Thank you !
Are you certain it isn't the mirror that is scratched/foggy? Mirrors are far easier to clean than the focus screens, both in terms of accessibility and risk of damage.
Alternatively you can substitute an MX focus screen in the LX. They're available here periodically in the for sale sub-forum, as well Ebay etc.
07-05-2020, 02:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum. The focussing screen is not part of the imaging light path so it won't affect your photos. On the LX it is easily removable (with the tool that came with each focussing screen). They should be available from eBay and the like but may be expensive these days.

07-05-2020, 10:11 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
I cannot yet vouch for this but being in a similar position of wanting a new focusing screen for my LX, I purchased this off of eBay. It should be with me this week and I can let you know how it goes. Focus Clear Split Image Focusing Screen for Pentax LX | eBay