Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2020, 06:40 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Huss Quote
I notice. The MX's throw is 162 (per manual) while the K2 is 130 degrees. It makes a huge difference in feel and operation. And I find it strange this it is so in the MX, as the SuperA and ME are the same size (the K2 is bigger) but still have a much shorter throw.

Every MX I have tried has a stiff shutter speed dial, and it is a common observation. A quick google search will demonstrate that. Not a deal breaker by any means, but a shame nonetheless.
I never noticed the MX winder level had a longer throw, but I used (and still do) Exaktas with a 300+ degree wind...you start with your thumb then switch to your index finger to complete it. Next to that everything is short. The MX does have a racheting winder, so you can do 2 short strokes. The MX shutter dial is stiffer than most. I find I use 2 fingers to turn it, so I don't take my eye away from the viewfinder to change.

11-19-2020, 08:36 PM   #47
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The MX's throw is 162 (per manual) while the K2 is 130 degrees. It makes a huge difference in feel and operation.
The K2 is the odd camera out from the rest of the K-series in several ways, while the rest of the K-series and the MX's heritage as far as film transport and shutter are derived from the Spotmatic and share the same 160° with 20° standoff. I have several bodies from the mid-1960s to mid-1970s era and my Pentax bodies have shorter throws than most of the others, two of which (a Mamiya and a Minolta), I routinely wind with two strokes.

As for the effort to turn the shutter speed dial, I have noticed that it varies from body to body. Some are smooth as butter and others will make you bleed.

Steve

* The MX service manual makes frequent reference to the Spotmatic by way of convention.
11-30-2020, 08:04 AM   #48
Pentaxian

I own three MXs (well, technically four but I've yet to get the last one in my hands) and the shutter dial is stiff on all of them, it's just the way the camera was made. I rarely change a shutter speed dial with one finger regardless, so it makes no difference to me.

I've never tried a film camera whose advance lever throw was soo long or short for it to be comfortable to use and never noticed the difference in this regard between my MXs and KX or any other.
11-30-2020, 08:23 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I own three MXs (well, technically four but I've yet to get the last one in my hands) and the shutter dial is stiff on all of them, it's just the way the camera was made. I rarely change a shutter speed dial with one finger regardless, so it makes no difference to me.

I've never tried a film camera whose advance lever throw was soo long or short for it to be comfortable to use and never noticed the difference in this regard between my MXs and KX or any other.
I've two, that have both been very recently and thoroughly serviced and they have stiff shutter dials also.
Changing with two fingers is fine by me, I don't think I'd go about changing with one so to be sure I'm setting up the shot correctly.
I'm aware that the film advance throw is long, but it doesn't feel particularly uncomfortable to me.
The way I typically see it is that film is a much slower medium than digital, so slowing me down marginally more isn't going to hurt.

11-30-2020, 08:31 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

P30T - really nice short film advance throw - much better than the MX. Really easy to
use battery cap - stays attached to the body! Killer feature - it has AE lock! I use
this all the time. Camera fits nicely in hand, it's a composite (plastic) but feels dense
and high quality. Meter readouts easier to read than the MX and the LX.

P3/P30 also has depth of field preview, a useful feature left out on several Pentax bodies of the era.

Another nice touch is the large shutter speed dial which protrudes beyond front edge of top cover.
That along with the dials ridged edge makes it quite easy to turn with just your right index finger.

Chris