Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2020, 03:21 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Esii

Hi,
I recently acquired one of these cameras and I have a couple of questions. I have read the manual but there is something that is still not clear to me.
1st - My SMC Takumar has the AUTO / MAN(ual) lever. If I move it to AUTO, and MAN is visible, is it on AUTO or MANUAL?
2nd - If I use the camera in automatic mode, with the lever down and the lens in AUTO (AUTO visible) in a dark-ish situation, the mirror may stay up for a few seconds if I keep pressing the shutter button. Is this normal? I feel in other cameras you just press it and can let it go. With this one if I let it go the mirror goes down immediately.
Any input, comments are appreciated.
sergy

07-21-2020, 04:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can check the first point by looking at the aperture in the lens:
- M(an) visible: when you move the aperture ring, you see the aperture blades closing or opening. That's the manual stop-down behaviour.
- A(auto) visible: when you move the aperture ring, the blades are and remain wide open. That's automatic aperture behaviour.
I don't know the answer to the second situation.
07-21-2020, 05:48 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
1st - My SMC Takumar has the AUTO / MAN(ual) lever. If I move it to AUTO, and MAN is visible, is it on AUTO or MANUAL?
The label that is visible is the current state of the lens. That is the convention for all Pentax M42 lenses. It should be immediately obvious in that putting it in the MAN position stops the lens down.

Don't use your SMC/S-M-C lenses on your ESII with the switch in other than the A position. In addition, never move the switch unless it is attached to a camera or has a rear cap attached. Doing so may damage the aperture mechanism.

2nd - If I use the camera in automatic mode, with the lever down and the lens in AUTO (AUTO visible) in a dark-ish situation, the mirror may stay up for a few seconds if I keep pressing the shutter button. Is this normal?
You got me. The shutter timing should be the same regardless of whether you hold the button down. (The duration is determined before the shutter is released.)

Steve
07-21-2020, 06:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

If I use the camera in automatic mode, with the lever down and the lens in AUTO (AUTO visible) in a dark-ish situation, the mirror may stay up for a few seconds if I keep pressing the shutter button. Is this normal? I feel in other cameras you just press it and can let it go. With this one if I let it go the mirror goes down immediately.
sounds like it's on the 'bulb' setting with that behavior

07-21-2020, 06:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your responses.
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
sounds like it's on the 'bulb' setting with that behavior
I know, right? Funny thing is that I have a second body that behaves exactly the same way. I bought this other one from another PF member because it was supposed to be working.
07-21-2020, 06:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I know, right? Funny thing is that I have a second body that behaves exactly the same way.
that's weird fer sure! .....have an ES but it's been a minute since i played with it.....do remember it would take it's sweet time completing an exposure when in very poor light
07-21-2020, 07:06 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
that's weird fer sure! .....have an ES but it's been a minute since i played with it.....do remember it would take it's sweet time completing an exposure when in very poor light
Up to 8 seconds!

Steve

07-21-2020, 07:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Up to 8 seconds!

Steve
That is another thing. According to the manual 8 secs tops. The two I have can take up to 20 or so.
07-21-2020, 10:40 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

That is another thing. According to the manual 8 secs tops. The two I have can take up to 20 or so.
Do you have a copy of the manual? I can't say that it is significant, but on page 28, "Important notes" there is a list of things that can result in the camera going into a mirror-up "safety" state. One cause is detection of shutter press with lens cap on (very little light detected). That might be a clue.

The manual lacks discussion of low light limits for the auto exposure system. While the shutter is capable of an 8 second metered exposure, the meter is only accurate in the range EV100 1-18. To put it in practical terms, the longest accurate metered exposure at f/1.4 is 1 second with 8 seconds coming at f/4.0. Whether less light to the meter might be a cause of meter lockup is hard to say. Are you able to confirm that the shutter actually opens for exposure when the mirror stays up for 20 seconds or so?

Steve
07-22-2020, 06:23 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That makes sense. Those longer exposures happen if I block the lens with my hand completely.