Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2020, 08:24 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK...I am stymied...Camera being used on Five Principles of Pentax page?

The recently published Five Principles of Pentax site features photos and clips of people using Pentax cameras, both old and new, one of which is a young woman using a pre-Spotmatic M42 body mounted to a Auto Takumar 55/1.8 55/2.0. What camera is she using?

PENTAX PRINCIPLES | brand | RICOH IMAGING

The same woman and camera are featured in the Five Principles video...

The body appears to be an S1a or S2 Super except that the shutter speed dial* and winder bezel (both chrome) are unlike any I have seen on Pentax cameras. Frankencamera?

Steve

* Chromed with three bands of knurling

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-24-2020 at 10:26 PM.
07-24-2020, 08:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, it looks weird.
07-24-2020, 08:52 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

Looks like an S series camera. I think it is S2 or S3 because it seems the frame counter is manual reset(silver) rather than auto reset(black cap).

*EDIT* The shutter speed dial looks funny...
*EDIT 2* At 54 seconds into the video you can see it has the S2, S3 style door latch, the manual reset counter is silver rather than black, the shutter speed dial looks funny, but on the rewind crank side there seems to be no model indication. Just something faint where the serial number should be. Of course, no SV timer button. I wonder if this is some sort of a prototype or show model, or a modified display unit. When she pressed the button, I don't see the lens closing, as if it was pre-set.

Thanks,
Ismael

Last edited by ismaelg; 07-24-2020 at 09:15 PM.
07-24-2020, 08:59 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
*EDIT* The shutter speed dial looks funny...
So does the bezel for the wind...chrome with three bars?

Steve

07-24-2020, 09:12 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I've attached the best images I was able to grab from the video. Unfortunately that's about as clear as the top plate gets.

About all I can say about the shutter dial is that it looks like no Pentax I've seen before, though you can see what I think is the coupling for the light meter in the first image if you look very closely.

Edit: less of an oddity than the pre-Spotmatic camera, but there's at least one other strange thing in the video: at around the 3:17 and 3:25 marks, a 67 is visible. Anyone ever seen a cold shoe attachment that looks like that before?
Attached Images

Last edited by g026r; 07-24-2020 at 09:31 PM.
07-24-2020, 09:25 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
So does the bezel for the wind...chrome with three bars?

Steve
That's what I mean that it looks like the manual reset counter but painted silver instead of black. As of the coupling for the meter, it was a notch in the dial on those models.
The lens is a 55/f2. not the 1.8
Yeah, we are a bunch of nerds analyzing a video clip

Thanks,
07-24-2020, 09:25 PM   #7
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The body appears to be an S1a or S2 Super except that the shutter speed dial* and winder bezel (both chrome) are unlike any I have seen on Pentax cameras. Frankencamera?
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Yes, it looks weird.
Looks like an S series camera. I think it is S2 or S3 because it seems the frame counter is manual reset(silver) rather than auto reset(black cap).
It seemed to me a Pentax S instead at a closer look it seems to be an SV ? Many details are similar even if I'm not completely sure.

Pentax SV ? ASAHI PENTAX – Photocorner

07-24-2020, 09:29 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
It seemed to me a Pentax S instead at a closer look it seems to be an SV ? Many details are similar even if I'm not completely sure.

Pentax SV ? ASAHI PENTAX – Photocorner
The AP, K and S had a front dial for slower speeds. The SV has a timer button next to the rewind crank. So it is not one of the first trifecta, nor an SV.

Thanks,
07-24-2020, 09:42 PM   #9
maw
Pentaxian

The AP, K and S had a front dial for slower speeds. The SV has a timer button next to the rewind crank. So it is not one of the first trifecta, nor an SV.
The more time goes by, the more Pentax pops up, more of a wizard...

look at this one. Pentax S1
07-24-2020, 09:46 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The film speed dial below the rewind crank is also a little strange. It looks to have completely black edges, unlike the silver top edge that you see on the S/H series cameras.

Last edited by g026r; 07-24-2020 at 09:51 PM.
07-24-2020, 09:57 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is another odd thing: It appears to have a screw or something right on top of the hinge. Never seen that before.

Geez! I need to sleep! I need to sing "Let it go" to myself

Thanks,
07-24-2020, 10:29 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Edit: less of an oddity than the pre-Spotmatic camera, but there's at least one other strange thing in the video: at around the 3:17 and 3:25 marks, a 67 is visible. Anyone ever seen a cold shoe attachment that looks like that before?
I've solved this one, at least. It seems someone took a hacksaw or similar to the wooden grip and then glued a flash mount on top of what remained.
Attached Images

Last edited by g026r; 07-24-2020 at 10:42 PM.
07-24-2020, 11:25 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Here is a link to 's' series.
S is for S series | I like the Suave looks of the S series A? | Flickr
07-25-2020, 03:27 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
I've attached the best images I was able to grab from the video. Unfortunately that's about as clear as the top plate gets.

About all I can say about the shutter dial is that it looks like no Pentax I've seen before, though you can see what I think is the coupling for the light meter in the first image if you look very closely.

Nup, I don't think I've ever seen a shutter dial like that on an S-series Pentax...
07-25-2020, 04:23 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is another odd thing: It appears to have a screw or something right on top of the hinge. Never seen that before.

Geez! I need to sleep! I need to sing "Let it go" to myself

Thanks,
I believe very very early SPs have a screw in the middle of that area.