Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2020, 06:26 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
No is the simple answer...

-Eric
Thanks, that's what I first concluded.. but then there were there 'but..' messages. Thanks for making it clear.

08-01-2020, 07:19 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I might be mistaken, but I think someone tried the new D FA* 50/1.4 on their LX and got it to shoot/meter wide open. So the D FA* 85/1.4 should do the same?

Phil.
08-01-2020, 08:23 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
I was planning to use the DA55 on a Super Program one of these days soon.

The PZ-1, and maybe the other PZ cameras, allow you to set the aperture using the now-common two-dial system. Probably also most of the MZ line allows you to set the aperture with on-body controls, though of varying levels of ease of use.
I don't think there is direct aperture control on the MZ's besides the MZ-S which is its own thing anyway.
08-02-2020, 12:20 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I might be mistaken, but I think someone tried the new D FA* 50/1.4 on their LX and got it to shoot/meter wide open. So the D FA* 85/1.4 should do the same?
That's my understanding that they default to wide open setting. That's why I asked about f2.8.

br,

08-05-2020, 05:43 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I don't think there is direct aperture control on the MZ's besides the MZ-S which is its own thing anyway.
There are 3 types of MZ cameras:

1) The MZ-S, which we know about

2) The MZ-3 and MZ-5 style, where they have basically traditional shutter speed and aperture controls like the bayonet cameras introduced in the 70's (and were previously on the screw-mount cameras before that)

3) The MZ-6 and MZ-10 style, where you can set the shutter speed by pushing the switch that is around the shutter button, and you can set the aperture by pushing the Av button while manipulating that same switch. The *ist has similar controls.

So #3 would let you do full manual with these lenses, where #1 lets you control the aperture directly in AV mode, and #2 only allows it to be set by an automatic mode.

---------- Post added 08-05-20 at 05:48 PM ----------

And I think some of the MZs also have a different control that is like a wheel, but it doesn't spin, that you use rather than a switch around the shutter.
08-05-2020, 05:50 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
There are 3 types of MZ cameras:

1) The MZ-S, which we know about

2) The MZ-3 and MZ-5 style, where they have basically traditional shutter speed and aperture controls like the bayonet cameras introduced in the 70's (and were previously on the screw-mount cameras before that)

3) The MZ-6 and MZ-10 style, where you can set the shutter speed by pushing the switch that is around the shutter button, and you can set the aperture by pushing the Av button while manipulating that same switch. The *ist has similar controls.

So #3 would let you do full manual with these lenses, where #1 lets you control the aperture directly in AV mode, and #2 only allows it to be set by an automatic mode.

---------- Post added 08-05-20 at 05:48 PM ----------

And I think some of the MZs also have a different control that is like a wheel, but it doesn't spin, that you use rather than a switch around the shutter.
#3 will not let you use the D FA*50 or the D FA*85 in full manual mode.
The film cameras do not have a way to actuate the aperture in those lenses -- they are electronic like a Canon EF lens...

And it's a distinct phenomenon from the "no aperture ring" on FA J lenses, DA lenses, and the like.
That has to do with communicating with the lens to meter...

The new D FA* lenses will work fine wide open at f1.4, but not at any other aperture on a film camera.

This might be handy here... it's from 2018, but the D FA* 50mm f1.4 is on there, and the 85 should be the same...
https://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensCompatibility.html

-Eric

Last edited by TwoUptons; 08-05-2020 at 05:53 PM. Reason: added the chart...
08-05-2020, 05:55 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Absolutely, I'm only talking about the "no aperture ring" KAF2 (? KAF3?) lenses.

08-05-2020, 06:07 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ppohja Quote
Yesterday I bought the D FA 85mm lens. Is there a single film camera body which I could be shooting at f2.8 ?
To echo the above...no, as in no film camera offers in-lens aperture motor support or control protocol for such.

Steve
08-05-2020, 06:09 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

That's my understanding that they default to wide open setting. That's why I asked about f2.8.

br,
Then it would be f/1.4 with the new D FA* 85mm.

Steve
08-05-2020, 06:26 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Okey, thanks.

Well, who anyways buys 1.4 glass, only to stop it down?
f/1.4? Meh. K50/1.2 and A50/1.2 start coming into their own at f/2.8 and they’re sharp as a razor from f/5.6 to f/11.

And boy are they easy to focus On a K-1.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-05-2020 at 06:42 PM.
08-05-2020, 06:56 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The film cameras do not have a way to actuate the aperture in those lenses -- they are electronic like a Canon EF lens...

And it's a distinct phenomenon from the "no aperture ring" on FA J lenses, DA lenses, and the like.
That has to do with communicating with the lens to meter...

The new D FA* lenses will work fine wide open at f1.4, but not at any other aperture on a film camera.

This might be handy here... it's from 2018, but the D FA* 50mm f1.4 is on there, and the 85 should be the same...
The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

-Eric
That's good information, thank-you for putting that together. Sounds somewhat fiddly. But doable at least if I wanted to use KAF3 and previous types of lenses.