Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2020, 08:29 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Processing and Scanning Questions

So I've got an MX and had it "rehabbed" by Eric, I'm now going through my first roll of film. I'm not going to do my own developing so I'll be sending it out or taking it to a somewhat local lab (East Coast Film Lab, Wilmington, NC). I know Pentax Forum members love to recommend things, so any guidance?

I also want to have my negatives scanned. Lots of options here, the local place scans but only to 3000×2000, a six MP equivalent. I'm not sure that will be large enough if I want to upload any to Adobe Stock, just in case I get any thing suitable. I also don't want to spend several hundred dollars on a scanner. Are any of the cheaper scanners (up to maybe $150) any good, or how much does it cost to get a decent scanner, I don't need the best or a high volume scanner, but I don't want junk either, something reliable that does a decent job. I read the reviews on Amazon and one guy loves a model for professional work and the next guy says the colors are so far off they can't be fixed.

I'm in this for fun, and the intangible pleasure of using film and mechanical cameras. I don't expect much from my first test roll in the MX, I know I've totally wasted at least four frames because the shutter button is touchy (meaning I'm not used to it yet).

thanks for replies!

08-19-2020, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well you may be able to scan with your KP and the 35mm DA35, that is what I use. You will need a slide holder that is attached to about a two inch extension and screws onto the front of the lens. It may take a bit of experimentation, using old filter or rubber lens hood frames for connections. After that you can scan a stack of slides pointing your camera into a bright blue sky.
08-19-2020, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you're patient - and lucky, it is possible to get some exceptional scanners for little to no money. There are risks buying used - and you may have to run old OS, but if the price is right . . .
My most recent acquisition is a free to good home HP Photosmart S20 which is a 2400dpi 35mm film only scanner. I haven't fired it up yet.
Before that I found a Nikon Coolscan V for less then $200 and gave it to my son-in-law since he's into film. I would recommend this scanner anyday all day everyday for 35mm scanning. Of course if you can find a Nikon Coolscan 5000 or 9000 at a price acceptable to you then those would be better.
Before that I found an Epson 4990 flatbed for the price of gas to drive there. It's versatile and can scan film up to 8" X 10".
08-19-2020, 11:55 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Looks like you have a DSLR and macro lens so you're almost set up for DSLR scanning. All you need is a light source, copy stand (or tripod), and a negative holder.

If you want a dedicated scanner, you can find a used Epson V550 or V600 for $100-150 USD. The Epson software is free.

08-19-2020, 11:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a canon 8800 flatbed scanner. The sharpness of the scans are changing, probably due to different flatness of the negatives. Generally 120 films are more flat than 135 films
I scan my bw negatives to make a preview before traditiontal enlarging . I can get a rather precise indication og choosing the right paper grade
08-20-2020, 07:30 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Using your DSLR for scanning is probably the way to go, I've had scanners and for my purposes after cameras hit 16MP there is very little difference
There are several threads in theforums such as:
My best methodology for film scanning with RAW-camera - PentaxForums.com
or
Bellows II + Slide Copier - PentaxForums.com
08-20-2020, 07:59 AM   #7
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Before that I found a Nikon Coolscan V for less then $200 and gave it to my son-in-law since he's into film. I would recommend this scanner anyday all day everyday for 35mm scanning. Of course if you can find a Nikon Coolscan 5000 or 9000 at a price acceptable to you then those would be better.
A second scanner is a good way to go. Be careful, however, of the scanner's specifications. I have a second-hand Nikon Coolscan 4000 which I have been using quite successfully for about 10 years now. Its only way of connecting to a computer is through an IEEE 1394 FireWire connection which is no longer commonly available; I have a FireWire card in my desktop. I think the Coolscan 5000 could connect with USB.

Added: Software could be an issue with a second-hand scanner. I have always used VueScan. It supports most, if not all, photographic scanners.

Correction: I originally specified a SCSI connection as being required. It's been a long time since I've used one of those. I'm showing my age.

Last edited by cpk; 08-20-2020 at 08:15 AM.
08-20-2020, 08:15 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
A second scanner is a good way to go. Be careful, however, of the scanner's specifications. I have a second-hand Nikon Coolscan 4000 which I have been using quite successfully for about 10 years now.
. . .
I think the Coolscan 5000 could connect with USB.
I bought the Coolscan 5000 when it was first released and it only uses USB. Bought the 9000 after that and it only uses firewire. Both are used on a Windows Vista pc because I only want to use native Nikonscan.
08-20-2020, 08:49 AM   #9
Pentaxian

My Canonscan FS4000US continues to provide sterling service on a SCSI interface using Vuescan software in Windows 10. It provides an approx. 20megapixel scan from a 35mm neg/slide and incorporates an infra-red dust scanner to eliminate a lot of the post-scanning spotting that can be an issue with other systems.
Two things to note :-
1. The dust scanning doesn't work with "traditional" b&w film, only with chromogenic and colour films.
2. The USB interface in this model may have been "leading edge" in it's day, but it's only USB-1, so really quite lethargic by todays standards
08-20-2020, 09:36 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Scan times are a concern and dust/scratch removal can be very compelling.
Coolscan V full res scan with ICE is about 3 minutes per frame, about 2 minutes without.
Coolscan 5000 full res scan with ICE is about 50 seconds per frame, about 30 seconds without.
08-20-2020, 03:49 PM   #11
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A second scanner is a good way to go.
That should have been a second-hand scanner.

I am getting old. I made two changes after posting and still missed that obvious mistake.
08-31-2020, 04:36 PM   #12
Pentaxian

That should have been a second-hand scanner.

I am getting old. I made two changes after posting and still missed that obvious mistake.
A second scanner is not uncommon. Having a dedicated 35mm scanner to maximize the quality from that format - specially if that is the format you shoot the most, and a flatbed for everything else.
08-31-2020, 06:12 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I found a Nikon Coolscan V for less then $200 and gave it to my son-in-law since he's into film. I would recommend this scanner anyday all day everyday for 35mm scanning. Of course if you can find a Nikon Coolscan 5000 or 9000 at a price acceptable to you then those would be better.
Will these run on the current version of Windows? I seem to recall some scanners won't run on current OS. What's a good price for the various Nikon scanners?
08-31-2020, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #14
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A second scanner is not uncommon. Having a dedicated 35mm scanner to maximize the quality from that format - specially if that is the format you shoot the most, and a flatbed for everything else.
That is true. In fact, it is my situation. I actually have two flatbed scanners, an older Epson 2450 and a V700, as well as the Nikon Coolscan 4000. However, I did mean "second-hand" when I wrote my original post. The OP only needs one scanner.

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Will these run on the current version of Windows? I seem to recall some scanners won't run on current OS.
VueScan will run them. I don't believe the Nikon software will.
08-31-2020, 10:15 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Will these run on the current version of Windows? I seem to recall some scanners won't run on current OS. What's a good price for the various Nikon scanners?

Probably not with Windows 10. Windows XP, 7 and 8 likely yes.