Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2020, 11:35 PM   #1

Film winding strangely on Pentax Super Me

Hello,

I’ve started using a Pentax Me Super but have found that when winding up each new shot, the dial / shot counter seems to increase in a quite arbitrary way?

For example, sometimes it will be ready to shoot after one wind and the counter increasing by one.

Sometimes it will go up by 3 and require 2 winds.

It leaves me unsure of how much film has been used.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Apologies if not explained correctly, as new to cameras!

Thanks!

09-07-2020, 12:35 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a weak spot with the ME Super. What happens is that the film advances, but it doesn't lock loaded the shutter spring, so then you have to repeat the wind, and lose a frame. On mine, I would sometimes wind and pause, then put my ear against the camera, and after a delay there would be a click which locked the shutter spring in place, and then it would be ready to fire. Eventually I managed to free that lock by exercise and the click delay became shorter. If you can find an MX, or KM, KX, K1000 or Spotmatic, you will have a more solid machine.
09-07-2020, 02:10 AM   #3

Original Poster
Ah I see, this makes sense. Thanks for the advice, will give it a try.

As I don’t really know what number exposure the film is on, can I just keep winding the camera until the film runs out of space - would just be met by resistance, like not being able to wind it any more?

Thanks
09-07-2020, 02:50 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Moz1 Quote

As I don’t really know what number exposure the film is on, can I just keep winding the camera until the film runs out of space - would just be met by resistance, like not being able to wind it any more?

Thanks
Yes, and since you are aware the film is randomly advancing, you can pay extra attention to the tension in the winding.
If you force it, you could rip the film off the spool (which is bad) or break something in the camera (also bad).

-Eric

09-07-2020, 09:55 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Moz1 Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

The other standard advice is to have a CLA (Clean Lube Adjust) done on your camera. The technician will likely be able to address issues related to film transport at no additional cost.

Steve