Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
09-26-2020, 11:44 AM - 7 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K: Third musketeer and youngest member of the original trifecta

Hello,

The Asahi Optical company was founded in 1919 but it wasn't until 1952 that they produced their first camera, the Asahiflex.
In 1957 they launched the Asahi Pentax, which was to become a pivotal moment in history, even prompting the company to change its name to Pentax as we know today. That "AP" set the design base for all SLRs to come. Even today's DSLRs can trace their design back to the original AP. In 1958, a successor was launched: The Asahi Pentax model S. But within two or three months, the next version was released; The Pentax K.
To the user, the difference between the S and the AP is mainly the shutter speeds were now standard 500/250/125/60/30 from the APs 500/200/100/50. But inside, the S was been prepared for the main new feature to come in the K: Lens Diaphragm automation. The K introduced a push bar to press a pin in the new line of lenses called Auto Takumars. This new Asahi Pentax Model K also introduced the 1/1000 of a second top shutter speed. Minor cosmetic changes include the rewind knob and the frame counter outer ring were now black instead of silver. The K and the S have a similar ASA dial which is slightly different than the one in the AP.
There are some theories about the name. Some suggest it was K for King, others suggest K as in kilo for the new top speed.
The K was the last camera to have separate shutter speed dials for slow and high speeds.
In 1959, after a run of about a little more than 21,000 units, it was replaced with the S2 or H2 in some markets, launching the popular S(H) series of cameras.

My specimen:
As many of you know, I recently acquired an AP, a grail for me. Shortly after, I started searching for a period correct 55 f2.2 preset Tak when I stumble with one that had an Asahi Pentax K as the rear lens cap! Well, not exactly but they were together. Interestingly, nobody else bid and suddenly I now have a working Asahi Pentax K to accompany the AP, both within a few weeks of each other!

Here it is after a deep cleanup but NO disassembly at all.

What do you think?

Thanks,

09-26-2020, 01:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Very nice! I have a soft spot for the K.
09-26-2020, 01:19 PM   #3
Forum Member

This reminds of the functions review Richo-Pentax released yesterday on the unreleased 'Flagship" APS-c Camera. [A kind of AV 'perk"?). They have given discussion, and hands on play sessions to date through their appointed 'talk up the not graspable body' middle men then viewed as body video users. Both are very nice, and perhaps complete photo series and video series details on camera controls highlighted for functional use. Someone, like you, or I, must actually connect with such bodies to fully comprehend their uses, to fully appreciate their possibilities, and to "get" what it is each part of either body can and may do. In the interim such show and tell's viability for actual learning to be photographic tools is somewhat lacking in versimilitude.
09-28-2020, 08:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks really nice. By deep cleaning, do you mean you dipped it all the way into the bucket?

09-28-2020, 09:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very clean and neat.
The {much newer} "Super Program" I have could only wish to be like this.
10-04-2020, 08:06 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
Looks really nice. By deep cleaning, do you mean you dipped it all the way into the bucket?
Nah, I only do that with digitals