Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2020, 03:08 PM   #1

SP SPII or SP1000

Hi,

I recently bought an SP but found out the light meter doesn’t work (tried multiple batteries). I have the potential to return/repair out under a warranty given buy camera shop.

Can also currently get an Sp1000 with working light meter or an SPII with potentially working meter.

Are these as good as the original SP?

Do I keep the original and just shoot sunny16 style?

Or do I return it and get another model?

Ps. I also own an SV and have a clip on light meter coming in the post.

10-08-2020, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The SP1000 lacks a self timer. The SP II has a hot shoe, film transport was improved, and could meter for ISO 3200.
10-08-2020, 04:23 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks. Do you think the SP is as good as the SP1000 or not (minus timer etc)
10-08-2020, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Brinno Quote
Thanks. Do you think the SP is as good as the SP1000 or not (minus timer etc)
They are all good cameras and will give the same results if they are working properly. As for the light meter, it may pay to take off the bottom plate and see if there is anything obvious; broken wire, corroded contacts etc. In any case, one can't expect light meters to be perfect after half a century. Use our phone or the sunny 16 rule instead.

10-08-2020, 05:40 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
They are all good cameras and will give the same results if they are working properly. As for the light meter, it may pay to take off the bottom plate and see if there is anything obvious; broken wire, corroded contacts etc. In any case, one can't expect light meters to be perfect after half a century. Use our phone or the sunny 16 rule instead.

Thank you. Good idea
10-08-2020, 06:36 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I prefer the clean uncluttered look of the SP1000.
I never use self-timer or flash.
For me simpler is better.

Chris
10-08-2020, 09:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Personally, I would go with an SP because I don't use flash and prefer the cleaner look without a hot-shoe. But honestly, go with which ever specific camera you can find in the best condition. There just isn't that much difference between the SP, SPII and SP1000 for it to matter either way... Your SV is a classier camera that any of the Spotmatics regardless

Regarding in-camera meters from this era, I usually just assume they will be cooked and stick to either my Sekonic L308, a light meter app, or Sunny 16.

10-09-2020, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi,

I recently bought an SP but found out the light meter doesn’t work (tried multiple batteries). I have the potential to return/repair out under a warranty given buy camera shop.

Can also currently get an Sp1000 with working light meter or an SPII with potentially working meter.

Are these as good as the original SP?

Do I keep the original and just shoot sunny16 style?

Or do I return it and get another model?

Ps. I also own an SV and have a clip on light meter coming in the post.

Hi Brinno,

If the SP is in otherwise great condition, and since you have a clip-on light meter on the way, you might consider getting one of these:

It clips on over the viewfinder and will allow you to fit your new light meter on top of the camera.

Obviously the best is to try to fix the problem, but if that's not possible then this might be an easy workaround. The suggestion to open the bottom plate to check for broken or corroded wires is a good one.

Hope this helps.

Svend

PS - these accessory shoes cost about US$8 on ebay. Cheap and plentiful.

Last edited by Viking42; 10-09-2020 at 08:23 AM.
10-10-2020, 09:48 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
Hi Brinno,

If the SP is in otherwise great condition, and since you have a clip-on light meter on the way, you might consider getting one of these:

It clips on over the viewfinder and will allow you to fit your new light meter on top of the camera.
I may have misread, but I think the OP meant they were getting an SV with its dedicated clip-on meter (these clip on to the viewfinder brackets and sit over the prism body), not one of the new meters that attach to a hotshoe.
10-11-2020, 06:40 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Personally, I would go with an SP because I don't use flash and prefer the cleaner look without a hot-shoe. But honestly, go with which ever specific camera you can find in the best condition. There just isn't that much difference between the SP, SPII and SP1000 for it to matter either way... Your SV is a classier camera that any of the Spotmatics regardless

Regarding in-camera meters from this era, I usually just assume they will be cooked and stick to either my Sekonic L308, a light meter app, or Sunny 16.
Thanks. Yes I’m looking forward to using my SV (picking up this week after door was jammed) and comparing.

Thanks for the advice.

---------- Post added 10-11-20 at 06:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
I may have misread, but I think the OP meant they were getting an SV with its dedicated clip-on meter (these clip on to the viewfinder brackets and sit over the prism body), not one of the new meters that attach to a hotshoe.
Thanks Nic and Svend. Yes I’m getting a clip on meter for the SV. But this is good info too. Thank you. I’ll try and see if can fix too. Thank you

---------- Post added 10-11-20 at 06:45 AM ----------

I’m a bit new to it all so don’t know how to check for best condition esp. with buying via eBay/Facebook. So it’s a bit of a guess.
10-13-2020, 05:45 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks Nic and Svend. Yes I’m getting a clip on meter for the SV. But this is good info too. Thank you. I’ll try and see if can fix too. Thank you[COLOR="Silver"]
Ah, got it. I didn't realize there was a dedicated clip-on meter for the SV. I thought you were getting one of the new ones from Reveni or KEKS, for which the viewfinder shoe attachment would be ideal.
Reveni Labs
OLED LIGHT-METER KEKS EM-01 Light meter - KEKS

Best of luck with the SV, and hope you can get the SP fixed also. Great camera! I have one in sleek black Love it!

Cheers,
Svend
10-13-2020, 09:44 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
Ah, got it. I didn't realize there was a dedicated clip-on meter for the SV. I thought you were getting one of the new ones from Reveni or KEKS, for which the viewfinder shoe attachment would be ideal.
Reveni Labs
OLED LIGHT-METER KEKS EM-01 Light meter - KEKS

Best of luck with the SV, and hope you can get the SP fixed also. Great camera! I have one in sleek black Love it!

Cheers,
Svend
Thanks so much!!
10-14-2020, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member

In my experience, it is rare to find a Spotmatic with a functioning light meter... or at least one that is accurate. If you want a working light meter, your best bet is a SPII or SP1000 (or SP500) that is in good shape, as they are a little younger. Most of the SP500's especially seem to have good meters when I get them for some reason. The clip on light meter you are getting with the SV will also likely not work very well. Plus (if you care), those clip on accessories really tear up the black enamel around the view finder. Most film is pretty forgiving of at least two stops in either direction, so Sunny 16 works just fine, Bracket the really important stuff, if possible. Another option (although not as common to find) is the SL... basically a meterless Spotmatic. If the meter doesn't function, I'd prefer to not have the dead meter bits in my view finder at all... no distractions, you know. I always just plan on sending a camera off to Eric for an overhaul when I get one... then I know it's good to go for a few more decades. Let us know how it goes!
10-14-2020, 11:39 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My Spottie's lightmeter (which is, of course, only a sample of one!) works fine. I even splashed out on a a replacement/adaptor battery cover so I can use cheap modern batteries. According to Eric, mine is a very early model.
10-15-2020, 10:52 PM - 1 Like   #15

Original Poster
Thanks Driftwood and Womble. Good points both. Seem to be able to get a few SP500s online.

I just got me SV light meter and SV back - can’t wait to use it. Not yet tested but seems to work a bit.

Now my question is....
The camera shop offered a return on the Spottie. So do I:

1) return it and buy one with a working meter when I find it.
2) keep it as nice to have a spottie anyway.
3) return it and just enjoy my SV for a while - and maybe buy other gear 😏.

Love thoughts from all you experienced people.

---------- Post added 10-15-20 at 10:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Driftwood Quote
In my experience, it is rare to find a Spotmatic with a functioning light meter... or at least one that is accurate. If you want a working light meter, your best bet is a SPII or SP1000 (or SP500) that is in good shape, as they are a little younger. Most of the SP500's especially seem to have good meters when I get them for some reason. The clip on light meter you are getting with the SV will also likely not work very well. Plus (if you care), those clip on accessories really tear up the black enamel around the view finder. Most film is pretty forgiving of at least two stops in either direction, so Sunny 16 works just fine, Bracket the really important stuff, if possible. Another option (although not as common to find) is the SL... basically a meterless Spotmatic. If the meter doesn't function, I'd prefer to not have the dead meter bits in my view finder at all... no distractions, you know. I always just plan on sending a camera off to Eric for an overhaul when I get one... then I know it's good to go for a few more decades. Let us know how it goes!
Alas, I believe this amazing Eric is in the US right? I’m down in Australia. He sounds an amazing repair man!