Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
10-22-2020, 12:37 PM - 6 Likes   #1

Asahi logo Spotmatic

Hello all! Recently I bought an old Spotmatic in excellent condition. I immediately noticed a strange detail. The letter ”I” in ASAHI is missing. Does anyone know anything about this, or have you seen it before? I am interested in finding any ideas about this. I’ll post a photo of the camera.

Attached Images

10-22-2020, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #2

The top plate may have had some "bodywork" and was repainted.and the "I" got filled in.

Welcome to the Forums.
10-22-2020, 01:52 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums.

The lettering is centered and the kerning (spacing between letters) is wrong too* appropriate to the missing "I". I seem to remember a report of a Spotmatic with a missing "I" and believe it was due to a known-bad short-run of Asahi-branded top covers that made it past QC. I think the engraving on yours is original.

Steve

* I compared to the Spotmatics on my shelf and the kerning looks to be the same, though all the letters on yours are shifted a little bit to the right.

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-22-2020 at 02:26 PM.
10-22-2020, 02:09 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I seem to remember a report of a Spotmatic with a missing "i" and believe it was due to a known-bad short-run of Asahi-branded top covers that made it past QC. I think the engraving on yours is original.
Yeah I guess if mints around the world can release money with "mistakes" on them, Pentax can as well. Collectors love this stuff!

Phil.

10-22-2020, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacob vP Quote
have you seen it before?
Here is a similar mistake only with the Heiland logo rendered as "HLILAND"on an H3. Note that the kerning is also wider than it should be munged version is also properly centered despite the missing "E" and transposed letters.

Bad Day at the Factory: A "HLILAND PENTAX" H3 - PentaxForums.com

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-22-2020 at 02:28 PM.
10-22-2020, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome to the Pentax Forums.

The lettering is centered and the kerning (spacing between letters) is wrong too.

Steve
I'm not sure about the lettering being centred there. Looking at images of other Spotmatics (I don't own one), and in particular the relationship between the Asahi and the Pentax, it looks like the "I" has been missed. In fact the relationship should be just like it is on the lens cap on the image above. The start of the "A" should be aligned with the start of the "E" below, and it is. The "I" should be between the "A" and "X". There is empty space there in the image above. I just don't think the "ASAHI" in centred on the top cover.
10-22-2020, 02:37 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
I'm not sure about the lettering being centred there. Looking at images of other Spotmatics (I don't own one), and in particular the relationship between the Asahi and the Pentax, it looks like the "I" has been missed.
I edited my comment above after comparing to the SP on the counter in front of me. On mine the first "A" is just to the left of the "E" in PENTAX with the left leg of the "H" lined up with the right end of the cross of the "T".* The letters in the first row are shifted to the right overall compared to my copy.

Steve

* Ditto for my SV and SPII

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-22-2020 at 02:47 PM.
10-22-2020, 05:08 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I went to look until I remembered mine both say Honeywell

-Eric
10-23-2020, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

It looks like an engraving error, you got an oddball!!!! awesome!
10-23-2020, 09:51 AM   #10

Original Poster
Yes, it's right I'm new in this forum. 100 thanks for all quick responses! It's really great to meet all this knowledge. I'm new in owning a Pentax. And excuse any odd small mistakes in the language (I'm living in Sweden).
I do think it is a misstake in the factory when making the parts of the camera. The letters are not just printed, they are engraved and then filled with black paint. But somehow this one didn't get the last letter...
10-23-2020, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I edited my comment above after comparing to the SP on the counter in front of me. On mine the first "A" is just to the left of the "E" in PENTAX with the left leg of the "H" lined up with the right end of the cross of the "T".* The letters in the first row are shifted to the right overall compared to my copy.

Steve

* Ditto for my SV and SPII
Looks like there is some lack of consistency during manufacture there, which is surprising given the general quality of the Spotmatic.
10-23-2020, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #12
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yeah I guess if mints around the world can release money with "mistakes" on them, Pentax can as well. Collectors love this stuff!
Postage stamps too.
10-23-2020, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

People have posted here before about getting a Pentax K100 instead of a K1000.
10-23-2020, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #14

In the 6x7 world there was a batch of helicoid extension tubes that went out marked as "hericoid" instead which is a little harder to understand.