Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2020, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Article on Pentax Auto 110 in Photo Life

For those who might be interested, the current (Nov 2020) issue of the Canadian PhotoLife magazine has a short article on the Pentax Auto 110 and examples of images using each of its three lenses.

10-26-2020, 07:57 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I received my copy several days ago.

For those who might be interested, here's a link to the magazine: Photo Life November is Out! - Photo Life

The preview includes a page showing one of the Pentax 110 lenses.

I've been a subscriber to the magazine for several years. Although it's a relatively small-scale publication, each bi-monthly issue is well curated and presented. The quality paper provides a consistent look and feel that makes for enjoyable handling and viewing. The content is varied, but tends to focus on the art and practice of photography rather than gear. I always find a bit of joy when each issue hits my mailbox.

- Craig
10-26-2020, 08:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A very nice magazine you have in Canada.
10-26-2020, 10:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks interesting. I miss having my choice of good monthly photo magazines.

On their website there's an offer for 3 free back issues in .PDF form.

Chris

10-26-2020, 03:53 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I subscribe to it too. Writing is top notch, and it has more of an art/artist feel than yet-another-product review of whatever is new. Print quality is excellent and it has a nice quality feel to the paper. They put a lot of care into the reproduction process. Recommended!
10-26-2020, 05:52 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I subscribed a year ago at their booth at the the Toronto Profusion show (being held virtually this year). At the time I was sad about the demise of the Canadian Outdoor Photography magazine. This one is very different - more "art" oriented which leaves me a bit mystified sometimes but it has put a bit more wind in my sails in the "creative expression" aspects of my photography. The current issue I think is the best one I have received so far.
It would be great to hear from someone who has the Pentax Auto 110 and maybe still uses it.
10-26-2020, 10:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I used an Auto 110 Super quite a bit back in April-May. I started rolling my own film to use modern Kodak emulsions in it; otherwise you can only get expired film, or Lomography film (which I don't think is so great). It's still somewhat grainy due to the small negative size, but I got reasonable results with Ektar, Portra 160, and Cinestill 50.

10-27-2020, 02:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
I used an Auto 110 Super quite a bit back in April-May. I started rolling my own film to use modern Kodak emulsions in it; otherwise you can only get expired film, or Lomography film (which I don't think is so great). It's still somewhat grainy due to the small negative size, but I got reasonable results with Ektar, Portra 160, and Cinestill 50.
I'd love to have Ektar in 110. The Lomography stuff is a bit meh.
10-27-2020, 07:21 AM   #9
pid
Pentaxian

the black and white film "Orca" from Lomography is not bad for the 110. I like it.
10-27-2020, 09:26 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
the black and white film "Orca" from Lomography is not bad for the 110. I like it.
I haven't tried that yet. Something to do soon.

K.
10-27-2020, 01:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I’ve noticed that in addition to the usual Lomo offerings in 110 (tiger, orca, peacock, and lobster) they’ve also offered Lomochrome Metropolis and Lomochrome Purple recently.

I’ve recently been cutting my own film, usually Kentmere 400 which I have a bulk roll of. My plan had always been to try higher quality, lower grain films like Ektar 100 but haven’t done it yet.

For anyone interested in refilling 110 cassettes, there was a newish YouTube video where a guy walks you through the process. One thing he did which I hadn’t considered was to scrap the backing paper which makes it easier to roll and get more exposures in the cassettes. You just have to tape over the window in the back to prevent light from getting in.
10-27-2020, 09:24 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My former sister-in-law had a Pentax 110 outfit when they were new.
Her prints were always sharp and clear - pretty good for a "toy" camera!

If 110 film comes back can we dare hope 126 does so as well?
There were some interesting 126 cameras I'd love to try...

Chris
10-28-2020, 09:46 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
For anyone interested in refilling 110 cassettes, there was a newish YouTube video where a guy walks you through the process. One thing he did which I hadn’t considered was to scrap the backing paper which makes it easier to roll and get more exposures in the cassettes. You just have to tape over the window in the back to prevent light from getting in.
How many exposures did he get? Do you have the link?
10-28-2020, 09:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

He says that he uses a 24 exposure roll of 35 mm and gets nearly 60 inches of film for about 36 exposures.

Since the film has none of the tiny holes that tell the auto110 when to stop advancing the film I find that the exposures are a bit irregularly spaced so if you have a scanning mask that has small individual holes for each picture it's not going to work very well. Also the perfs prevent you from over winding film (limits you to 2 winds). Without the perfs, if you don't remember that you already wound the film, you could do it again.
10-29-2020, 12:57 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I’ve been cutting down 120 film; you get 3 110 rolls to each 120 roll, it seems to be the most economical. Maybe I’ll try his technique, though I haven’t watched the video yet.

I have the 110 Super, so it only takes one wind to advance the film.