Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2020, 02:24 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax LX, Self Timer missfire

Hello,
I just found out I might have a problem with my LX timer function. I sincerely don't recall ever using it before so I don't know weather it worked one year ago when I got the camera.
I follow the procedure correctly: I cock the shutter, press the multi-function lever button, wind the lever either halfway or full wind, then i press the shutter button.
What happens is: the shutter fires right away, bypassing the timer. As I continue pressing down on the button it eventually activates the timer mechanism which works as it should.
It seems as the tripping sequence is wrong. Has anyone encountered this issue before?
I must also specify that I have no batteries loaded in the camera at this time, but I doubt thay have anny effect.
Thank you in advance for your input!

11-05-2020, 04:06 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
do you have a copy of the manual ?

Pentax LX camera manual, user manual

I don't own an LX

so I can not help further
11-05-2020, 06:54 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I do have a copy of it, but it doesn't specify anything other than what I've written. the sequence is just like in the manual.
I am thinking about writing a mail to Eric describing the issue.
11-05-2020, 07:28 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That is how mine works. Sounds like a fault.

K.

11-09-2020, 05:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
Hello,
I just found out I might have a problem with my LX timer function. I sincerely don't recall ever using it before so I don't know weather it worked one year ago when I got the camera.
I follow the procedure correctly: I cock the shutter, press the multi-function lever button, wind the lever either halfway or full wind, then i press the shutter button.
What happens is: the shutter fires right away, bypassing the timer. As I continue pressing down on the button it eventually activates the timer mechanism which works as it should.
It seems as the tripping sequence is wrong. Has anyone encountered this issue before?
I must also specify that I have no batteries loaded in the camera at this time, but I doubt thay have anny effect.
Thank you in advance for your input!
Is the shutter actuating or the mirror just locking up? The mirror should lock up as soon as you hit the shutter release, but the shutter will actuate once the timer goes off.
11-09-2020, 06:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What should happen if you cock the self timer and then cock the shutter and press the shutter trigger is:
Nothing - except the timer will start running until it reaches the end. Then it will trip the mirror and shutter. Without batteries and a film inside (to reflect light values), the auto exposure can be erratic.
11-10-2020, 10:17 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reuvens Quote
Is the shutter actuating or the mirror just locking up? The mirror should lock up as soon as you hit the shutter release, but the shutter will actuate once the timer goes off.
I first suspected that too. but then when nothing happened in the end of the run, I removed the lens and saw it triggered both the mirror and shutter.