Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-07-2020, 10:47 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
The MZ-S supports matrix metering with all A/F/FA lenses and only supports centre weighted with K/M lenses.
Am I remembering correctly that the MZ-S is also rather unique in that it will display the aperture even when the aperture ring is off the "A" setting?

Steve

11-07-2020, 10:54 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kayakfari Quote
On a related aperture ring note .. Pentax killed off the old rheostat aperture detector and forced us to use stop down metering years ago on DSLRs.
Well remember those aperture readout windows on the prisms like the KX, MX and others?
So how about a modern version with OCR so that the body can know exactly what aperture K and M series lenses (and 3rd party) are set at!?
The info is always in that same spot on those lenses, should be a relatively simple optical and software implement, no mechanics needed.
I would welcome such a feature!
My understanding is that when the "crippled" K-mount was introduced it lacked the physical coupling that enabled the camera to read the aperture position set on "K" and M series lenses (and A series when not using the A position)

I think they would need to redesign the K mount and re-instate the coupler to get full functioning with K and M lenses.
11-07-2020, 11:07 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Am I remembering correctly that the MZ-S is also rather unique in that it will display the aperture even when the aperture ring is off the "A" setting?

Steve
It correctly shows apertures for F or FA lenses AFAIK
11-07-2020, 11:46 PM   #19

It's easy to check if the mount is "crippled" or not. Take the lens off and see if there is a coupler lever at around the 1:30 - 2:00 o'clock position inside the mouth of the camera mount.

Mosphoto's compatibility chart shows that bodies prior to the MZ/ZX-30 (which include the MZ-M and MZ-S) have the coupler (e.g. not "crippled"). Even if the cameras have the coupler though it may not use it in under different conditions.

11-08-2020, 03:03 AM   #20
Pentaxian

The K mount pages give this info too.

MZ/ZX-Series Film Bodies | The K-Mount Page
11-08-2020, 09:46 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Steve
Correct for F/FA lenses, but only if the meter is active. (K/M/A show F--)

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 11-08-2020 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Added more info.
11-08-2020, 12:06 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Correct for F/FA lenses, but only if the meter is active. (K/M/A show F--)

Phil.
I was surprised to find that the MZ-3 manual indicates the same for the MZ-3. The AF lenses provide the max/min information through the data contact.

Steve

11-08-2020, 12:18 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
My understanding is that when the "crippled" K-mount was introduced it lacked the physical coupling that enabled the camera to read the aperture position set on "K" and M series lenses (and A series when not using the A position)

I think they would need to redesign the K mount and re-instate the coupler to get full functioning with K and M lenses.
Idk that you understood what I was saying.
Using OCR and the same type of optic path as those old models mentioned, Pentax could now visually read the actual aperture set without the need for any mechanical coupling(s). No need to make any mount changes, all simple optics and software.
11-08-2020, 01:02 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kayakfari Quote
Using OCR and the same type of optic path as those old models mentioned, Pentax could now visually read the actual aperture set without the need for any mechanical coupling(s). No need to make any mount changes, all simple optics and software.
It might actually be easier to simply restore the non-crippled mount, no OCR required. The mechanism is simple and compact, no rheostat required.

Steve
11-08-2020, 01:45 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It might actually be easier to simply restore the non-crippled mount, no OCR required. The mechanism is simple and compact, no rheostat required.
Exactly. Reinstate the k-mount coupler. Creating a Judas window with the camera having to read the number is a very inelegant solution . Low light use ?