Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-09-2020, 11:27 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eastman Double-X : 5222 ???

Does anyone have experience with this movie film shot for still photography?

Steve

11-09-2020, 11:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've used the CineStill version and it was pretty good, though expensive.

https://cinestillfilm.com/collections/bwxx-dou/products/bwxx-double-x-36exp-...31389476880458

Phil.
11-10-2020, 07:54 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It looks good from what I've seen, but I haven't used my roll yet.
11-10-2020, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've used it in the past. It's nice but, as noted, a bit pricey. The first two photos below are from a batch that I bought from someone and that I'm not certain were properly stored. The second two are from an FPP roll and more in line with what I've seen in other rolls I've purchased from them. (I haven't tried the Cinestill rolls, but I assume they'll be the same.)

One thing to keep in mind if you're using a particularly old or picky camera are the perforations. Since it's a cinema film it uses a very slightly different pitch rate than is normal for still photography. I've not had any issues with modern cameras — various late-'60s and onwards Canons, Pentaxes, and even a Horizon — but it eventually slipped the gears and failed to feed in my Contax II.

11-10-2020, 03:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is an excellent film. Ideal speed range ISO 200-400 depending on development.
My favorite medium speed film before everyone discovered it and the price doubled and tripled...

Chris
11-10-2020, 04:03 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
This is an excellent film. Ideal speed range ISO 200-400 depending on development.
My favorite medium speed film before everyone discovered it and the price doubled and tripled...

Chris
The good folk at Ultrafine are selling five rolls (36exp) for $35 or 100' for $100. That is not cheap, but competitive.

Kodak 5222 Double - X Black & White Film 35mm ISO 250 - Kodak Black & White Films

I am also wanting to try Bergger Pancro400 and will presumably be seeing some Ferrania P30 shortly after the end of the year.

Steve
11-10-2020, 06:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Beginner question but what’s the benefit of shooting movie film other than just being different? Finer grain?

Pics above are nice btw

11-10-2020, 10:19 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
Beginner question but what’s the benefit of shooting movie film other than just being different? Finer grain?

Pics above are nice btw
For this particular emulsion, the lure is supposed to be "tonality" (broad tonal scale) and "sharpness" (acuity?). For color stock such as those offered by CineStill, draw is rendering and grain structure.

Part of the current buzz regarding XX is its high profile in recent projects that have featured one or more B&W scenes. Here are few links.

Project Double X – Eastman Kodak Double-X 5222

Shooting Eastman (Double-X) 5222 in the Leica - Rangefinderforum.com

Film stock review: Kodak EASTMAN DOUBLE-X (5222) - 35mm format - by Jonas Lundstrom | EMULSIVE

Eastman Kodak Double-X (5222) - a Cinematic Black and White Film - Casual Photophile

Film stock review: Kodak EASTMAN DOUBLE-X (5222) - 35mm format - by Alexander Laurent | EMULSIVE

https://www.flickr.com/groups/656147@N20/

Kodak | Double-X 5222

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-10-2020 at 10:27 PM.
11-10-2020, 10:27 PM - 1 Like   #9

Stevebrot:

I've shot one roll of it. It's expensive, but I loved the results. I really like the contrast it gives, but it's not a film I'd want to use as a "go-to", simply because of its price. $20.99 CAD a roll here. I shot my roll at box speed.... 250 ASA. Was very impressed with the results. If you have an event you want really incredible B&W photos of...by all means... shoot it!

Here are some photos taken in the Canadian Rocky Mountains using Eastman 5222 using my Pentax ME and a 50mm 1.7 lens

https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/photo-emerald-lake-59142
https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/photo-takakkaw-falls-59140
https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/photo-takakkaw-falls-2-59141

Last edited by sconut1; 11-11-2020 at 06:11 PM. Reason: No pictures
11-11-2020, 01:54 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
For color stock such as those offered by CineStill, draw is rendering and grain structure.
Personally, the tungsten aspect of the Cinestill 800 is a draw.
11-11-2020, 02:04 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Personally, the tungsten aspect of the Cinestill 800 is a draw.
Yep, that too. It just occurred to me that it has been awhile since the major makers have offered a tungsten-balanced film for still photography.

Steve
11-11-2020, 02:50 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yep, that too. It just occurred to me that it has been awhile since the major makers have offered a tungsten-balanced film for still photography.

Steve
I have a roll of that to try in my latest "Analogue Wonderland Wonderbox"**. I was planning to use it to photograph some night-time urban stuff and probably Christmas decorations next month. I'm still working my way through a couple of other film stocks.

**The "wonderbox" is a subscription package. You get six rolls of film (and other goodies) every two months. The stocks are a variety of things from standards (e.g., Pan F) to whackadoodle things (e.g., FPP "Let it snow"???). Over the two months they post a review of each film stock on youtube, and run a competition for subscribers. The competition has an award for one of the photos submitted, and a "lucky dip" award for someone chosen randomly. I won the latter last month and got, yes you guessed it, two more rolls of film. I'm quite enjoying it as I am using films I probably would never have bought in the normal run of things.
11-11-2020, 03:24 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
The "wonderbox" is a subscription package.
Who does this, FPP?

Steve
11-11-2020, 04:09 PM   #14
Pentaxian

No, a British company called Analogue Wonderland.
11-11-2020, 06:25 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I have a roll of that to try in my latest "Analogue Wonderland Wonderbox"**. I was planning to use it to photograph some night-time urban stuff and probably Christmas decorations next month. I'm still working my way through a couple of other film stocks.
Not sure what it's like where you live, but since Cinestill 800 was first introduced, there's been a lot of change here in terms of outdoor night lighting.
Streetlights are now often white LEDs, which won't play as well with tungsten film. Some people seem to be into the blue that you get under these conditions; I am not really into it, though I might consider it as a particular look depending on what I was going for.