Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2022, 12:56 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is interesting. I have a Pentax SV that does the exact same thing. The first time it happened was on top of a mountain in early winter and the next time was on the open prairie in North Dakota near Minot. Of course nothing is reliable in Minot in mid winter with the possible exception of an old, 62, Ford Falcon I used to own.

My H1a has never done this though I suspect it could if it were cold enough.

02-17-2023, 07:11 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

As you know I'm a big fan of the S(H) series of cameras. I have posted about their history in countless other posts. The SV (H3v) and the S1a (H1a) were the longest production of the series as they co-existed with the Spotmatic (launched in 1964) for a few years. They were both made until 1968. Not surprisingly, there were some rolling changes thru the years. But there was a major update that distinguish what we now call "Early" vs "Late" models.
The new King of the hill / Zeiss Planar-killer / we'll make the world's best or bust / everybody is doing 6 or 7 so we'll make 8 elements / Super Takumar 50 f1.4 lens was released in 1964 (along with the Spotmatic). This lens protruded a bit more into the camera and could interfere with earlier M42 cameras auto pin pushbar. This prompted a redesign of the pushbar in the current cameras in production: the SV (H3v) and the S1a (H1a). In order to differentiate these, the color on the "R" in the rewind knob was changed. Bu there are other subtle and no so subtle variations. Many of these changes were most likely rolling production changes so I wouldn't be surprised if you could find cameras with some combination of them. Not to mention that in their almost 60 years history, servicing could have happened with non-identical parts.
I just restored a late version and had a chance to compare with an earlier version restored a little while ago. Here are some of the external visually noticeable changes.

Can you spot the differences?

Some of those changes are:

I hope you like this. Let me know if I missed anything or if there is any error. I'm not an expert. Just an enthusiast.

Thanks,
While checking my camera I noticed it has both early and late model appearances. I believe it to be an early model, but it does not have a top cover screw on the left side, and it has a sprung latch just like the late models. Do anyone else cameras carry both features like mine? And does this make the camera more uncommon?
02-18-2023, 05:30 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good to know! It was not the last time they changed a model while keeping the name. The LX went through quite a number of changes on the inside but nothing on the outside gave the game away.