Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2020, 02:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Has Pentax ever decided to...

I don't know this is the right place to start this discussion and maybe someone has asked this before, but has Pentax ever decided to relaunch a new ANALOG camera?
Because I got interested again in photography in general and my old analog Pentax in particular because of 'lomography' and the like, and I have noticed that analog film never went away completely...like vinyl records perhaps.
And the additional question: what kind of analog camera should it be?
I'm thinking myself of an analog 6x6 SLR, like a Hasselblad, but of course a Pentax one.

11-27-2020, 02:13 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

In the point where Pentax is now I think it wouldnt be in their best interest to diversify their sources, and going back to analogue slr production would be quite an endeavor. maybe they could lend their name to some 3rd part producer, but you saw what happened with the Yashica name lending...
11-27-2020, 02:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
In the point where Pentax is now I think it wouldnt be in their best interest to diversify their sources, and going back to analogue slr production would be quite an endeavor. maybe they could lend their name to some 3rd part producer, but you saw what happened with the Yashica name lending...
Indeed.But still. What about a Pentax rangefinder? With the tiny lenses of the Pentax auto 110? A (cheaper) competitor to Leica?
11-27-2020, 03:48 PM - 4 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With millions of old film SLR's still out there, IMO it would make no sense at all for Pentax to divert limited resources to that market (which I think is still a tiny part of a shrinking DSLR market anyway). I think Pentax under Ricoh has found their niche - a small range of high quality, highly capable cameras and lenses at a good price point. and most importantly - profitable for Ricoh. I think they will be fine - ironically they're probably better placed than Nikon if what I've read is to be believed.

Maybe Leica could pull off something like you suggest but I don't think Pentax could......or should.

11-27-2020, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would buy it. I doubt they would produce something like this, but you never know with Pentax. Nikon made the F6 for a long time.

Young people want to try something "retro" or "vintage" and fall in love with film. It's been growing for the last decade, but the last several years film has exploded: Eastman Kodak's still film production more than doubled in the last four years - Kosmo Foto
11-27-2020, 05:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't see how that could ever be profitable at this point.
11-27-2020, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
While I do shoot film from time to time I don't think there would be many buyers because there are exceedingly many old cameras available for the price of a meal or less.
Why would anybody beside some hard-core fans or collectors buy a analog camera for approximately 2/3 the price of a K-70?

11-27-2020, 05:55 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It wouldn't make any sense financially. They would be competing against an existing inventory of millions of analog cameras on the market, most going for pennies of their original cost. And the variety of features and functions of these bodies are is huge, from a fully manual K1000 to to an almost "DLSR" PZ-1, just to reference two ends of the Pentax spectrum, not to mention every other camera maker out there.

On the flip side, I see the toy Holga's out there that many of the younger generation buying them for the novelty of film. I don't know if that novelty holds up in the long run or if it's just a passing phase as the next generation of photographers moves on to their cell phones.

Also, when you're talking analog photography, you're really talking film. And nothing is ever going to be cheaper than a disposable camera. And I can't see any camera manufacture, who is not already in the film business, ever looking to go back.

amazon.com : Fujifilm QuickSnap Flash 400 Disposable 35mm Camera (Pack of 2) : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
11-27-2020, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think Pentax should shrink their lineup and drop the low end K-70. They should have the 645Z, K-1II, the K-3III and the KP. Future cameras and lenses should be of the highest quality.

11-27-2020, 06:55 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Reciprocity Quote
I don't know this is the right place to start this discussion and maybe someone has asked this before, but has Pentax ever decided to relaunch a new ANALOG camera?
Because I got interested again in photography in general and my old analog Pentax in particular because of 'lomography' and the like, and I have noticed that analog film never went away completely...like vinyl records perhaps.
And the additional question: what kind of analog camera should it be?
I'm thinking myself of an analog 6x6 SLR, like a Hasselblad, but of course a Pentax one.
I think if Pentax wanted to go down this path, it would have to be in 35mm.
I think as impractical as it would be to make a 35mm SLR in film these days, that pales in comparison to making a medium format film camera...
Would you be willing to pay as much for a film version of a 645 as for the 645Z?

And in 35mm, it would still be a trick.
As far as I'm aware, Pentax never made an interchangeable lens rangefinder, and their only single-lens rangefinders were autofocus point-and-shoots (so not really rangefinders in the "hey, it has a rangefinder" sense, but only in the "you don't look through the lens" sense)

I think with their all-SLR philosophy, it would have to be a SLR.
Then you've seen the arguments already... and I don't want to spend $1,000 on a new body to replace my all manual K1000 or my "modern-ish" ZX-L...

If Ricoh were going to do anything wacky, they should introduce the digital S1.
A K1ii with a M42 screwmount instead of a K mount, in silver, with a AOCo logo.
Development cost is nearly zero. Wackiness is nearly infinite...
Though I wouldn't buy that, either...
Maybe just the silver body with some cosmetic changes and package it with a M42-K adapter ring... that's a little more practical...

-Eric
11-27-2020, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote

Also, when you're talking analog photography, you're really talking film. And nothing is ever going to be cheaper than a disposable camera. And I can't see any camera manufacture, who is not already in the film business, ever looking to go back.

amazon.com : Fujifilm QuickSnap Flash 400 Disposable 35mm Camera (Pack of 2) : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
The Fujifilm Instax is basically a disposable camera, I see this when I see how many used ones are on the market. I think Fuji has made enormous profits on those toy looking camera. But I doubt there was a huge development cost to those, marketing cost were probably higher, and well worth it to Fuji.
11-27-2020, 10:08 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
The Fujifilm Instax is basically a disposable camera, I see this when I see how many used ones are on the market. I think Fuji has made enormous profits on those toy looking camera. But I doubt there was a huge development cost to those, marketing cost were probably higher, and well worth it to Fuji.
Profit indeed. I remember when Kodak first came out with their disposable camera in the 80's, with plastic lenses. Not nearly as sophisticated as today's disposable Fuji's. When my wife and I got married, we'd bought a few dozen of them and put them on the tables at the reception, so guests could take photos of the wedding. Who knew what camera revolution was just over the horizon with cell phones less than a decade later.
11-27-2020, 11:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I would buy it. I doubt they would produce something like this, but you never know with Pentax. Nikon made the F6 for a long time.

Young people want to try something "retro" or "vintage" and fall in love with film. It's been growing for the last decade, but the last several years film has exploded: Eastman Kodak's still film production more than doubled in the last four years - Kosmo Foto
Yes, a local online retailer published similar news about their sale of analog film going up.
11-27-2020, 11:44 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The Nikon F6 was only recently discontinued.

Nikon Has Finally Discontinued the F6, Its Last Film SLR: Report

If Nikon can't make it work then it's not a goer.
11-27-2020, 11:46 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
It wouldn't make any sense financially. They would be competing against an existing inventory of millions of analog cameras on the market, most going for pennies of their original cost. And the variety of features and functions of these bodies are is huge, from a fully manual K1000 to to an almost "DLSR" PZ-1, just to reference two ends of the Pentax spectrum, not to mention every other camera maker out there.

On the flip side, I see the toy Holga's out there that many of the younger generation buying them for the novelty of film. I don't know if that novelty holds up in the long run or if it's just a passing phase as the next generation of photographers moves on to their cell phones.

Well, pennies of the cost, not necessarily. Beyond the obvious ever-expensive Leica, secondhand analog camera's aren't always that cheap (I'm speaking of my region, don't know about other countries). Or perhaps there is also a rise in demand (and price) of secondhand camera's, that is possible.

---------- Post added 11-27-20 at 11:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
While I do shoot film from time to time I don't think there would be many buyers because there are exceedingly many old cameras available for the price of a meal or less.
Why would anybody beside some hard-core fans or collectors buy a analog camera for approximately 2/3 the price of a K-70?
Yes, perhaps. Would it still be 2 thirds of the price of a K70 I wonder?

---------- Post added 11-27-20 at 11:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
With millions of old film SLR's still out there, IMO it would make no sense at all for Pentax to divert limited resources to that market (which I think is still a tiny part of a shrinking DSLR market anyway). I think Pentax under Ricoh has found their niche - a small range of high quality, highly capable cameras and lenses at a good price point. and most importantly - profitable for Ricoh. I think they will be fine - ironically they're probably better placed than Nikon if what I've read is to be believed.

Maybe Leica could pull off something like you suggest but I don't think Pentax could......or should.
Leica absolutely should do this. An affordable one I mean.

---------- Post added 11-27-20 at 11:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
Don't see how that could ever be profitable at this point.
Is it all about profit? (I guess it is unfortunately)