Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2020, 03:22 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
KX metering

I am running a roll of film through my KX at the moment. I have a horrible feeling it has been a while since I last used it. The needle is doing something odd. When I half press the shutter button, it meters, but then tends to flicker upwards, and then back to the reading. This isn't normal, but I was wondering if it is the result of the batteries not being, perhaps, as fresh as I hoped? I have ordered some new ones, but I thought I would check in here first as I know there are some KX fans on the forum.

Thanks, Kris.

12-09-2020, 03:47 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I’m not a great data point, as I don’t use it much, but mine’s never done that...

-Eric
12-09-2020, 05:54 PM   #3

Hopefully, the new batteries will fix it . Similar thing happens with my MX and, sometimes, I don't get a reading so I just eyeball it and, luckily,
so far, I've gotten lucky

Cheers,

Jack
12-09-2020, 08:54 PM   #4

What happens when you press the battery check button (left of the prism housing)?

12-10-2020, 06:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
What happens when you press the battery check button (left of the prism housing)?
The needle drops to the 1000 mark.

K.
12-10-2020, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #6
Banned

If the batteries are good, the needle should be at 125 or lower. If not, the batteries are dying. I have a KX and the manual. Best Pentax mechanical camera there is. Also, do not leave the batteries in if you intend not to use for extended periods.
12-10-2020, 09:03 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is possibly the meter needle. They sometimes get that way. My guess is a stress crack in the spring in the meter needle assembly but have never taken the time to do the work to know for sure. K1000 meter needles can be that way also.

12-10-2020, 10:05 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Either batteries are not fresh, or you need to clean the contacts.
I have left the meter switched on for too long and discharged the batteries
as Hawkfan said, needle should hover around 125 or 60 but not go to 1000

Check page 7 of the manual in Kim Coxon's site:
Pentax Manuals
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I am running a roll of film through my KX at the moment. I have a horrible feeling it has been a while since I last used it. The needle is doing something odd. When I half press the shutter button, it meters, but then tends to flicker upwards, and then back to the reading. This isn't normal, but I was wondering if it is the result of the batteries not being, perhaps, as fresh as I hoped? I have ordered some new ones, but I thought I would check in here first as I know there are some KX fans on the forum.

Thanks, Kris.
KX is an awesome camera,
12-10-2020, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks all. When the new batteries arrive I'll see if that improves things.

I've had my KX for a while, and used it on and off, but generally tend to use my other Xs (the LX and MX) more. One silly little feature -- the fact that the wind-on lever has to be out for the meter to work -- drives me nuts because after almost 30 years using an MX I always forget. I try to make sure that all the functional cameras in my little collection get used every-so-often but I am not very organised about it, and I fear it may have been a while since the KX had an outing.

Many thanks, and I'll report back when I get new batteries.

Kris.
12-15-2020, 04:57 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just report back that with nice new silver oxide batteries everything is fine. I thought the previous ones were relatively new, but perhaps not... ops:
12-15-2020, 05:27 PM   #11
Banned

Just report back that with nice new silver oxide batteries everything is fine. I thought the previous ones were relatively new, but perhaps not... ops:
Thanks for updating. One of my pet peeves is posters who never respond back. Good job. Glad it worked for you. Don't forget to click the rewind lever forward when done so you don't drain them, and always remove them if you don't plan on using camera for extended times. Love my KX although it sits in a box in storage. One day I plan on putting some B&W in and developing myself. Kudos to you.
12-15-2020, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #12

It's difficult to tell how fresh batteries are unless they have an expiration date on the package. Back in the day when there was a Radio Shack store in practically every shopping center I stopped buying batteries from them because they were always old and would poop out quickly.