Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2021, 09:41 AM   #1

Pentax MX body material

I managed to scuff my silver Pentax MX a little bit, right over the Asahi logo - nothing too bad, though I am pretty sensitive with this stuff, especially since the camera looked almost brand new prior to this.

I use the camera a lot, almost daily including winter time, so I guess it was bound to start showing some marks sooner or later.

Out of curiosity, what material is the MX - it seems to scuff/scratch more easily than most metal bodies. The bottom plate basically reveals every time it was moved around on the table. Brass with some sort of metallic coating on top?

The area under the scuff reveals a very shiny silver surface, which makes the scuff unnoticeable at some angles and -very- noticeable at other angles. I suppose trying to retouch it with anything would make matters worse...

01-01-2021, 10:15 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by film-love Quote
I managed to scuff my silver Pentax MX a little bit, right over the Asahi logo - nothing too bad, though I am pretty sensitive with this stuff, especially since the camera looked almost brand new prior to this.

I use the camera a lot, almost daily including winter time, so I guess it was bound to start showing some marks sooner or later.

Out of curiosity, what material is the MX - it seems to scuff/scratch more easily than most metal bodies. The bottom plate basically reveals every time it was moved around on the table. Brass with some sort of metallic coating on top?

The area under the scuff reveals a very shiny silver surface, which makes the scuff unnoticeable at some angles and -very- noticeable at other angles. I suppose trying to retouch it with anything would make matters worse...
I believe it's brass like the previous K Series bodies.

Phil.
01-02-2021, 02:39 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I believe it's brass like the previous K Series bodies.
Ok, thanks for the information Phil.
01-02-2021, 04:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You may have just polished the satin surface. Try giving it a rub with a pencil eraser (suggest trying on the base plate first just in case). Sometimes this can restore minor blemishes.

01-02-2021, 10:38 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevejo Quote
You may have just polished the satin surface. Try giving it a rub with a pencil eraser (suggest trying on the base plate first just in case). Sometimes this can restore minor blemishes.
Polished - seems about right, yep. Good tip, thank you - though it seems that the 'polished' scuff (2mm-wide stroke on the Asahi text - very very shiny) doesn't seem to react to a pencil eraser.

Ideal thing would be to make it more 'matte' somehow, as the super bright shine really pushes through next to the satin/metallic finish.

A silver paint pen on the other hand, might make the surface appear uneven/bumpy.
01-02-2021, 10:42 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Polished - seems about right, yep. Good tip, thank you - though it seems that the 'polished' scuff (2mm-wide stroke on the Asahi text - very very shiny) doesn't seem to react to a pencil eraser.

Ideal thing would be to make it more 'matte' somehow, as the super bright shine really pushes through next to the satin/metallic finish.

A silver paint pen on the other hand, might make the surface appear uneven/bumpy.
Just go light...under the silver vernier (aluminum ?) Is brass.

01-02-2021, 10:55 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
Just go light...under the silver vernier (aluminum ?) Is brass.
Ah, ok. If I read you correctly, I should probably not try to 'sand' down the layers any further, as brass would then have more of a golden appearance, popping out even more..

01-02-2021, 12:26 PM   #8

Ah, ok. If I read you correctly, I should probably not try to 'sand' down the layers any further, as brass would then have more of a golden appearance, popping out even more..
On my film cameras, Nikon FM & FE2, I always kept them in their form fitting ever-ready cases when using them. The bottom part which stayed on the cameras when using them protected them from most such scratches. I assume Pentax had such cases available although they are probably pretty rare by now.
01-03-2021, 04:43 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BryantCP Quote
On my film cameras, Nikon FM & FE2, I always kept them in their form fitting ever-ready cases when using them. The bottom part which stayed on the cameras when using them protected them from most such scratches. I assume Pentax had such cases available although they are probably pretty rare by now.
Would be good practice for sure, though personally I never quite got used to the bulky feeling of protective cases.
01-03-2021, 11:31 PM   #10

Original Poster
Reporting in case someone is wondering about the same thing:

I improved things a bit by "sanding" (more like micro-scratching) with a Mirka pad (similar to sandpaper). The scuff is less obvious now.

I had cut down the abrasive pad, bent it so I don't "sand" around the scuff and used the absolute minimum of force, more like tickled it. It was enough to remove most of the glossy shine and give it a more matte appearance.

Camera looks clean enough. Back to shooting.

(As for the cause of the scuff - I actually think it was caused by the grommets on my new leather strap, while putting the camera in my bag - so if you're wondering if the protective leather pads you sometimes see come with these, serve any purpose, they do...)
01-04-2021, 04:44 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Would be good practice for sure, though personally I never quite got used to the bulky feeling of protective cases.
Wasn't the old saying that pros had scruffy cameras and pristine everyready cases and amateurs had pristine cameras and scruffy cases? Something like that, anyway...
01-04-2021, 06:36 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Wasn't the old saying that pros had scruffy cameras and pristine everyready cases and amateurs had pristine cameras and scruffy cases? Something like that, anyway...
Haha, I like that
02-25-2022, 03:23 PM   #13

Does anybody know if the Super A has a metal body.
02-25-2022, 03:27 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Marsland Quote
Does anybody know if the Super A has a metal body.
I'm trying to post a picture. This looks like brass to me, but I have been told that it is "metalised plastic". Does anybody have a definitive answer?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-A405FN  Photo 
02-26-2022, 07:46 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by BryantCP Quote
I like to use the Funper brand leather half case for my MX. These are readily available on Ebay. It is much better quality than the genuine Pentax cases for the M series which were made with fake leather that cracks with age. I find the slight increase in thickness makes the camera more comfortable to hold.

I suppose the pros never liked cases like these because it adds 30 seconds to the film load time.