Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2021, 09:53 AM - 6 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Adventure: Pentax MG. The forgotten Pentax?

Hello,

Sometime probably around 1982-83 or so, I vividly remember a family visit to a relative who just had a baby. I was 12-13 years old or so. Our relative's husband was(is) one of those cool guys I could talk for hours about cars, technology, cool gear etc.
That particular time, he showed me a Pentax MG. It was a beautiful camera that looked like an evolution of the K1000 my dad used at his job. Did not shoot with it but I remember holding and looking at it and thinking "Cameras are so cool"
A few years ago I asked him about it but he has no idea what happened to it.
As I got into cameras and photography later, I was surprised nobody knew what a Pentax MG was. It seemed it was just a tiny sidenote in history.
The MG was made from '82 to '85 but some sources say '81 to '84. So it was only made for about 4 years. Some sources say about half a million were made. It is an Aperture Priority only camera with no manual override. Just 1/100 sync and B are the mechanical options. So not much in terms of manual control.
It was a lower cost evolution of the ME and it kind of replaced the MV1. Except for the shutter speed indication in the viewfinder, it is very similar in specs to the MV1.
(Side note: a black MV1 was my second SLR in the 90's and it is the one pictured in the forum's review database)
So I finally got a cheap project MG and it is a black one. At a whopping $3 and $9 shipping this is my entertainment equivalent to a movie ticket but lasts much longer than a movie

As expected, jammed solid and dirty but it seems complete.

The battery cover is corroded and deformed. Can't get it out. So been the smart a$$ I am I thought "I'll just take the bottom plate out and the cover will come out with it so I can....

UH OH!!

So you want to pick a fight? Meet Mr. PB Blaster accompanied by Mr. Drill and Mr. Spanner.

Who's tough now?

UH OH!!!

Sledge hammer? Arc welder?
I'll let you know how this ends up...

Thanks,

01-10-2021, 09:59 AM   #2

Wow, really putting up a fight! I got an MG as part of a job lot but someone sprayed WD40 into the shutter and it got everywhere including the focus screen. I think the meter is dead anyway. I do have an MV and an MV1 kicking about.

01-10-2021, 10:07 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
here is the link to the owners reviews:

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The Pentax MG is another simplified, low cost variant of the Pentax ME. As opposed to the MV the MG retains shutter speed readout in the viewfinder.
Read more at: Pentax MG - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
01-10-2021, 11:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Admittedly my experience is more on old cars but often a bit of heat can help.
Maybe a soldering iron touched carefully onto the battery cover?

01-10-2021, 11:39 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
UH OH!!!Sledge hammer? Arc welder?I'll let you know how this ends up...
Uh oh, it's really seized in there.

Could you remove the battery compartment? There are two screws, but one looks a bit corroded. Then unsolder the (probably) black wire from the terminal to free the entire compartment. Soak in Mr. PB Blaster for a few hours or overnight.

PB Blaster is my penetrating fluid of choice, but I find that an attack with a long soak is required sometimes.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 01-10-2021 at 04:09 PM.
01-10-2021, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I can see another epic coming on.
01-10-2021, 12:23 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd try scraping off as much corrosion from around the battery holder as you can. Then apply your PB Blaster, then some (more than?) gentle rapping on the holder all around its rim might jar it loose.

01-10-2021, 12:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hee hee - too funny! Did you give the PB penetrant at least 24 hours to do its thing? There have been very few things I couldn't loosen with a product called Liquid Wrench, but it often takes 12-24 hours to loosen badly rusted/corroded parts.
01-10-2021, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

small chisel and large hammer ?
01-10-2021, 01:37 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yikes. That is one tough battery compartment!
01-10-2021, 02:19 PM   #11
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
They say Pentaxes are built like tanks ........ maybe you need another tank to free the stubborn part .. ?
01-10-2021, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Laughter

Best laugh I’ve had all day.
01-10-2021, 06:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I’m curious where you find these cameras so cheap. Seems like on eBay clearly broken cameras are sold as “untested” but at working camera prices. Great job on the MX.
01-10-2021, 06:43 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is a cute little camera. As far as busting that battery lose I would almost try using something slightly acidic and put a few drops on it. Let it dry and put a few more drops on and keep going for a couple of days. Think of it like filling the cylinders of an engine block with coke to free rusted in pistons. I would think a mild acid like vinegar would work since you are dealing with a stuck leaked alkali battery.
01-10-2021, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Side note, is it sad that I read the title and hoped it was by you?