Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-24-2021, 01:53 PM   #1

Pentax ESII mirror locked+slow shutter speeds not firing

Hi! I'm about to buy a Pentax ESII that needs repair and the ad says that the mirror sometimes gets stucked + the slow shutter speeds don't work. Any idea what could it be? Thanks a lot!

01-24-2021, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

My Spotmatic F had similar symptoms when I got it and both were remedied as part of a routine CLA (Clean Lube Adjust) by a local camera repair.

Steve
01-25-2021, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #3

Could be that the shutter is sluggish and not tripping the mirror. Pretty common in an old Spotmatic. Slow Speed escapement being gummed up also common. Plan to invest in a professional CLA.
01-25-2021, 05:11 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

My Spotmatic F had similar symptoms when I got it and both were remedied as part of a routine CLA (Clean Lube Adjust) by a local camera repair.

Steve
Thanks guys, I was pretty worried I had to do something with the electronics and end up being a paperwight. She's on the way home. As soon as I have it CLA'd I'll update.
Luis

01-28-2021, 09:20 AM   #5

Original Poster
Well, shipment arrived home today. The camera looks mint condition. Tested a Few shots and yes, mirror stays up sometimes at high SS's and when shooting slow SS's never resturns tu its standard position. Electronics work, lighmeter seems just fine, maybe it underexposes for what I've tested with other lightmeter. I'll take it to get it CLA'd this weekend.
ps: Didn0t know the lightmeter only works in Auto mode. Overall, I'm happy with this camera, it's quite elegant.
Luis
01-28-2021, 03:10 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have an ES and an ESII and although they are a bit basic compared to SLRs from even ten years later, I've always really liked mine. The ESII was a non-functioning "spares or repairs" buy that I had repaired, the ES has always worked (and I keep meaning to change the seals).

Enjoy, they are lovely cameras.

K.
02-05-2021, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
The ES II is back home. All it needed was a CLA ($70) and now I think she has to be in a museum. Everything works as it should, shutter and electronics. Thanks for the help my friends!

02-05-2021, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AnalogLuis Quote
The ES II is back home. All it needed was a CLA ($70) and now I think she has to be in a museum. Everything works as it should, shutter and electronics. Thanks for the help my friends!
Yay. Great news. I'm very fond of my ESII and am heartened to hear this.

K.