Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-30-2021, 12:10 AM - 1 Like   #1

Zenit Automat - erratic speed dial behavior

While searching for a good Helios with K mount for my K1 I came across this Automat–Helios combo for a very good price. The idea was to keep the Helios and sell or give as a present the camera. Indeed its a very nice camera, it looks like a 1970/1980 Ricoh and is aperture priority only. Similar in functionality to the MV/MV1from pentax: no speed is indicated in the viewfinder but when bot red leds flash the speed is above 1/30, when only the upper one is on we have overexposure, only the bottom one it indicates underexposure.
The speed dial has 4 positions: L (lock), B (bulb), X (synchro flash, approx 1/100) and A (aperture priority).
ok, on L, B, X it works fine, while in A I have to jiggle to find the right position otherwise the camera fires on X. I took the dial apart and realized that the whole assembly is very sensitive to pressure and even if the dial engages correctly the slot, a simple pressure on the plate causes the camera to fire in X.
I was wondering if anyone has experience on this.
Incidentally, the lens, is quite good and on the K1 is a good combination.

Attached Images

Last edited by bengi; 01-30-2021 at 12:22 AM. Reason: add another photo