Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2021, 12:39 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Skux Quote
More custom Spotmatics!
Look great! Now you can colour code match each to a different film or Takumar lens... Also will go nicely with a range of braid (hippy) shoulder straps.

08-30-2021, 11:33 AM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got a spotty for the lenses, then someone lent me an old Leica iii and the film bug bit. There are no light leaks on the spotty but I may replace the light seals anyway, so, question one,

are they just at the hinge and clip ends of the film door or are there others?

Also, the leatherette is peeling. The only thing that puts me off is the timer, delay lever thingy on the front. Does that need to come off or do the patterns work round it?

Now, time to pick a funky colour

---------- Post added 30-08-21 at 11:44 AM ----------

I went for navy blue lizard
08-30-2021, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #63
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Film door light trap channels in addition to mirror foam. As usual, I suggest one of Jon Goodman's kits. They are complete, easy to do, and come with excellent instructions.

Steve
08-31-2021, 12:14 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Question, how do you clean the aluminium on the spotty?

09-06-2021, 02:02 AM   #65

I got a spotty for the lenses, then someone lent me an old Leica iii and the film bug bit. There are no light leaks on the spotty but I may replace the light seals anyway, so, question one,

Also, the leatherette is peeling. The only thing that puts me off is the timer, delay lever thingy on the front. Does that need to come off or do the patterns work round it?

Now, time to pick a funky colour

---------- Post added 30-08-21 at 11:44 AM ----------

I went for navy blue lizard
To apply the leatherette you will need to remove the self-timer knob. To do this you'll need a lens spanner.

The alternative is to cut the replacement leatherette close to the hole and you can work the cover on to the surface without removing the knob. However this will leave a small cut mark which will be visible on lighter colours.
09-06-2021, 06:59 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To apply the leatherette you will need to remove the self-timer knob. To do this you'll need a lens spanner.

The alternative is to cut the replacement leatherette close to the hole and you can work the cover on to the surface without removing the knob. However this will leave a small cut mark which will be visible on lighter colours.
Thanks I need to buy a lens spanner anyway as I have some helicoid greasing to do

---------- Post added 06-09-21 at 07:08 AM ----------

Footnote. My navy blue leatherette arrived from Aki Asahi in six days and it is excellent. You even get a set of skins for a practice run. Brilliant
09-06-2021, 11:52 AM   #67
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Footnote. My navy blue leatherette arrived from Aki Asahi in six days and it is excellent. You even get a set of skins for a practice run. Brilliant
I really like Aki Asahi. Their product is first rate with service to match.

Steve

09-07-2021, 03:56 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What sort of glue should be used to attach the new cover. Does the glue come with the cover? It could be a messy job for the unwary I'm sure.
09-07-2021, 07:19 PM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
Does the glue come with the cover?
The new material has a sticky backing - quite easy to apply - read instructions in the packet or on supplier's website for application tips.

I have ordered Dark green vintage leather (looks like licorice) from Hugos. Will post images when K1000 is redone.
09-12-2021, 11:18 PM - 4 Likes   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aki asahi rules I can't wait to take out my new best pal
Attached Images

10-16-2021, 11:50 PM - 3 Likes   #71
Pentaxian

Well the K1000 is back from Eric. So many swapped out bits and peces it could well be a new-old camera. New serial number on bottom plate is near to the old plate so it is still a Japanese origin K1000. Looks great and works well so that is great.

The camera leather came in from Hugo Studio, quite a bit lighter in colour than i expected- more like malachite than licorice.

Stripping the original off was quite easy but left a lot of glue and crumbs around the edges

Isopropyl Alcohol swabs and the solvent mentioned in the post earlier pulled that off in a few minutes.
A sharp pointed stick moved the gunk out of the creases and crevices.

Placing the new leatherette on and pushing it in place went easily, Whole replacement operation took less than 30 minutes.

The final new look with below the the K55 F2 that the original K1000 was supplied to me with. Above, with the M 50 F1.7. My son has my K55 F1.8 and Vivitar 28 F2.8 Close Focus, the only other K series lenses I currently own.

Last edited by Arjay Bee; 10-16-2021 at 11:56 PM.
10-17-2021, 01:03 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Well the K1000 is back from Eric. So many swapped out bits and peces it could well be a new-old camera. New serial number on bottom plate is near to the old plate so it is still a Japanese origin K1000. Looks great and works well so that is great.

The camera leather came in from Hugo Studio, quite a bit lighter in colour than i expected- more like malachite than licorice.

Stripping the original off was quite easy but left a lot of glue and crumbs around the edges

Isopropyl Alcohol swabs and the solvent mentioned in the post earlier pulled that off in a few minutes.
A sharp pointed stick moved the gunk out of the creases and crevices.

Placing the new leatherette on and pushing it in place went easily, Whole replacement operation took less than 30 minutes.

The final new look with below the the K55 F2 that the original K1000 was supplied to me with. Above, with the M 50 F1.7. My son has my K55 F1.8 and Vivitar 28 F2.8 Close Focus, the only other K series lenses I currently own.
That looks brilliant. These colours make the old cameras look the business. great job
10-17-2021, 03:08 AM   #73
Pentaxian

That looks brilliant. These colours make the old cameras look the business. great job
Thank's Cerebum. Yeah, I like the new look leatherette as well. Black leatherette is so last century
10-24-2021, 10:04 PM - 3 Likes   #74

More custom skins from Hugo Studio!
1. Recyled leather Angus white
2. Genuine leather Moroccan orange
3. Recycled leather Culebra green
4. Recycled leather Culebra blue

Last edited by Skux; 11-12-2021 at 12:38 PM.
10-25-2021, 12:43 AM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More custom skins from Hugo Studio!
1. Recyled leather Angus white
2. Genuine leather Moroccan orange
3. Recycled leather Culebra green
4. Recydled leather Culebra blue
ERM, .... I really like the white one! .... Does that make me a bad person?