Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2022, 10:18 AM   #91
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was poking around on some websites looking for some color ideas if I get some good mechanical news back from Eric on an old body...

It looks like Aki Asahi is not currently shipping to the US (and I think Canada is also on that list).
Because of lingering pandemic-induced issues, they can't send "small packets" to North America...

Just thought folks might like to know...

-Eric

09-02-2022, 11:25 PM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I was poking around on some websites looking for some color ideas if I get some good mechanical news back from Eric on an old body...

It looks like Aki Asahi is not currently shipping to the US (and I think Canada is also on that list).
Because of lingering pandemic-induced issues, they can't send "small packets" to North America...

Just thought folks might like to know...

-Eric
They aren't shipping to the UK either. A bit strange as we have no restrictions. Maybe the restrictions are at the Japan post end
09-03-2022, 03:08 PM   #93
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
They aren't shipping to the UK either. A bit strange as we have no restrictions. Maybe the restrictions are at the Japan post end
I think I read recently they are still having loads of pandemic issues in Japan that Europe and the US aren't...

But yes, definitely on the Japan end.

-Eric
12-21-2022, 03:25 PM - 5 Likes   #94
Pentaxian

I just got my three K2 DMDs back from Eric yesterday, so what did I do today?

Photographed with the K-1 ii and DA 40 XS.

This is the recycled Angus leather from Hugo Studios. It's a little thin compared to the original leatherette removed from the K2 DMD, but the genuine lizard skin from Camera Leather I put on my Minolta XD11 was a little thicker than the original.

12-22-2022, 01:45 AM   #95
Pentaxian

@builttospill, I like the subtle pale shades you chose on the black bodies, very choice.
04-13-2023, 02:49 AM   #96
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@builttospill,Your K2DMD really looks great.
Thank You for sharing.
04-15-2023, 12:37 AM   #97

Hello

Is it possible to replace the Pentax mx leatherette without the need of remore the self timer leaver?

Thanks

04-15-2023, 03:08 AM   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepitajack Quote
s it possible to replace the Pentax mx leatherette without the need of remore the self timer leaver?
Short answer is yes but it is not as good as taking the lever off and applying the leatherette over the spindle.

If you look back to post #41 in this thread you can see that the leatherette from Hugo is pressed out by a leather cutting die and the hole for the self timer lever is very close to the edge. You could carefully cut the backing paper from around the leatherette and from inside the hole and test fit to see if it can be applied over the lever before trying with the adhesive exposed.

You could make a small slice between the hole for the lever and the nearest edge of the leatherette and slide it under and around the spindle of the lever. This may be slightly less robust as it leaves a couple more corners to catch or lift as the leatherette ages on the body, but it could be done.

It is a fairly easy job to remove the threaded cover off the lever using a pair of dividers or similar and this will give a better finish to the cover when applied.
04-15-2023, 09:05 AM   #99
Pentaxian

To add to Arjay's answer above, I used a spanner wrench the first time I removed the self-timer, but it was difficult because it's hard to find a spanner with pins which get close enough to each other. The second time I wanted a better solution, so after reading some discussions here I bought a cheap pair of needlenose pliers online (somewhere around $7) then used my dremel to grind the tips to points. This has worked perfectly for multiple projects.

One more tip: don't over-tighten the self-timer cap when putting it back on. The threaded shank is so thin it can't take much pressure or the head will break off.
04-15-2023, 12:28 PM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepitajack Quote
Hello

Is it possible to replace the Pentax mx leatherette without the need of remore the self timer leaver?

Thanks
If it helps, the self-timer lever on the MX doesn't require any special tools. At least, not a spanner wrench. It can be kind of a pain to get the decorative cap off because there's really no way to get under it without marring the edges. Here's what worked for me.
  1. Place a few drop of isopropyl alcohol around the edge of the decorative cap. Wait a couple minutes for the solvent to work its way under the cap and soften the glue.
  2. Use a cotton bud to push the cap around and kind of break the seal. Your not trying to pry it off with the cotton bud, just loosen it.
  3. Stick a piece of maskin tape to the top of the cap. If the glue has softened and/or released, it should lift right off.
  4. The retention screw is a regular cross-point.
07-15-2023, 04:20 PM - 3 Likes   #101
Pentaxian

I just finished this recovering from Hugo Studios today. He still needs to ship me an uncut leather woodgrain panel for the PM5 Prism Finder to match (it's been a little challenging to get Hugo to respond to emails to get this far, but last time I ordered from him he was great).
07-16-2023, 02:26 AM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I just finished this recovering from Hugo Studios today. He still needs to ship me an uncut leather woodgrain panel for the PM5 Prism Finder to match (it's been a little challenging to get Hugo to respond to emails to get this far, but last time I ordered from him he was great).
That is just spectacular
07-16-2023, 09:08 PM   #103
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I just finished this recovering from Hugo
That distressed wood finish does look good on that camera model. There are so many surfaces that have been covered that it makes the camera look wooden. On an SLR the amount of coverage is way less and to my eye the effect looks fake. The Hasselblad looks made from wood - but not fake. :-)