Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2021, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I purchased a tatty silver MX that was in non functional condition. Sent it to Eric in Tenessee to bring back to working status.

Eric noted internal bits bent from a poor attempt at repair by a previous owner and some water ingress damage. I have put about 7 or 8 rolls through the camera since the repair so functionally okay but still looked worn. The black paint on the edges of the film door has deteriorated and the metal has gone rusty. No dents in top cover, small one on bottom cover.

The leather is intact but quite worn and discoloured with a greyish mouldy look. I have ordered new leather from Hugo Studio and am in the process of removing the old leather.

The true state of the leather was revealed as well as the deterioration under the leather once it was removed. More liquid ingress damage which has affected the leather glue. Any ideas on best product to remove the residual gunk?

Philosophically, i have no problems with doing the leather on this camera as it is a revenant camera anyway. This model has the plastic film box lid holder on the film door. I am waiting for the new leather to arrive before working out what to do with the old leather that sits beneath the plastic. Cut it off or pry it from under. Will show pictures as project continues.

Last edited by Arjay Bee; 03-06-2021 at 12:25 PM.
03-06-2021, 03:18 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
but I'm not sure what colour would go well with the black body.
Orange? Yellow?

Steve
03-06-2021, 03:20 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Any ideas on best product to remove the residual gunk?
Ronsonal lighter fluid?

Steve
03-06-2021, 03:45 PM   #19
Pentaxian

@vendee A friend and I may well be there too around then ! Quite a hectic week - NNR Monday, Cley NWT Tuesday, Wells later in the week, and then 70 on Saturday !!

Last edited by 35mmfilmfan; 03-06-2021 at 04:16 PM.
03-06-2021, 04:35 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Orange? Yellow?

Steve
Yeah, it would have to be something light. Yellow would be ideal although Hugostudio don't seem to do that colour so I'd have to look elsewhere. White would be interesting but I guess that would get grubby with regular use. I would be reluctant to get the orange again even though I admit it might look good on a black body.

---------- Post added 03-06-21 at 11:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
@vendee A friend and I may well be there too around then ! Quite a hectic week - NNR Monday, Cley NWT Tuesday, Wells later in the week, and then 70 on Saturday !!
We have got a couple of 4 night stays booked in our regular Airbnb in Wells in July and September and we are so looking forward to that. I love the MNR for b&w shots, especially at Yaxham station. Oh..... happy birthday for that Saturday.

03-07-2021, 05:34 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah, it would have to be something light. Yellow would be ideal although Hugostudio don't seem to do that colour so I'd have to look elsewhere. White would be interesting but I guess that would get grubby with regular use. I would be reluctant to get the orange again even though I admit it might look good on a black body.
As a K-01 owner, I can say that yellow also gets grubby. It’s still a fun color to have, though

-Eric
03-07-2021, 04:25 PM   #22
Pentaxian

---------- Post added 03-06-21 at 11:45 PM ----------

We have got a couple of 4 night stays booked in our regular Airbnb in Wells in July and September and we are so looking forward to that. I love the MNR for b&w shots, especially at Yaxham station. Oh..... happy birthday for that Saturday.
Thank you for your good wishes.

03-08-2021, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ronsonal lighter fluid?
Thank you for the idea, Steve but where I live it comes in 500ml containers and I will never need that amount ever... Found this product at a local haberdashery/general store. Can also be used to free stuck fingers after using super glue...

Made in China so there should be some similar product available anywhere in the world. Love the Australian badging - but fully imported.

I used cotton tipped sticks and a sharp edge and managed to remove all the worst of it. The new leather should go on now with no issues.

So hear is Maxi in all her naked beauty. As can be seen there's a bit of brassing here and there that I may touch up. Next pics will be in a couple of weeks once the new leather arrives.

03-08-2021, 04:04 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote

So hear is Maxi in all her naked beauty. As can be seen there's a bit of brassing here and there that I may touch up.
Obviously each to their own but my own view would be that unless I was sure that any "touch up" was 100% invisible, I would rather keep the brassing. I think that a bit of brassing looks "honest" but a badly touched up camera looks terrible. As I said.... just my own opinions and bear in mind, this is the guy who has just put bright orange leather on his K1000 haha. I'm sure your MX will look good with the new leather.
03-08-2021, 02:36 PM   #25
Pentaxian

The brassing was caused by me as I took off the bubbling crumbling paint that was sitting on top of the oxidised metal. Maxi was quite tatty. Film door edges were worse. Will give it a try. Can always rub back if it looks bad.
03-14-2021, 01:22 AM - 4 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My LX that I canged the leatherette to Blue from Aki- Asahi.
03-19-2021, 05:29 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So in the end I went for the Moroccan Orange genuine leather from Hugostudio. It might not please the purists but I really like it. Of course I'll keep the original black leatherette (which came off without damage) in case I or a future owner wants to go back to original.

Would I do another one?...... Not sure. I'm happy with my silver ME Super as it is. My black MX is a bit dented and brassed on the top cover and fresh leather on that might look odd. I do have a black MV which is in very good condition but I'm not sure what colour would go well with the black body.

How was your experience with them? I have an ME that needs recovered and they only offer a kit for the ME super. I emailed them and asked if they had a kit for the ME, and if not, could I get the front cover pieces for the super since they are the same, and a blank film door piece since the film doors are slightly different. That was a week ago and still no answer.
03-19-2021, 06:23 PM - 5 Likes   #28
Veteran Member

I couldn't decide if I wanted black, or red, or white, or green, or brown, or yellow, or orange...

So I did all of them.

03-19-2021, 09:22 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Huss Quote
I couldn't decide if I wanted black, or red, or white, or green, or brown, or yellow, or orange...

So I did all of them.
So nice!
03-20-2021, 03:15 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sam_I_am Quote
How was your experience with them? I have an ME that needs recovered and they only offer a kit for the ME super. I emailed them and asked if they had a kit for the ME, and if not, could I get the front cover pieces for the super since they are the same, and a blank film door piece since the film doors are slightly different. That was a week ago and still no answer.
My experience with them was fine but restricted to their automated ordering system. Delivery to the UK took a couple of weeks but that was within their 9-16 day quote.

Hopefully they get back to you with a ME specific solution but otherwise you would end up buying a ME Super kit for the front and something like a K1000 kit for the rear which you would obviously have to trim down.

Alternatively, perhaps you could find a cheap ME super for spares and fit the rear door to your ME, assuming that it fits. What is the difference in rear doors between the ME and the Super?