Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2008, 09:25 PM   #1

Asahi ME worth repair?

i just got a Pentax Asahi ME i not sure how old it is or if it works. i replaced the batteries and the light meter seems to work but im not sure the shutter is working. the shutter lever doesnt seem to be going back all the way, and nothing happens when the release is pressed. it has a SMC pentax -m 1:2 50 mm ashai optical co lense on it. my question is...should i spend the 115$ i was quoted for a general shutter repair.

11-25-2008, 10:10 AM   #2
Banned

it could be a very simple problem, with a very simple fix. who quoted you that price and what did they say was wrong with it? do you live in or outside of the US? its really kind of hard to tell you without knowing more details, particularly the overall mechanical/cosmetic state of the camera and lens.
11-25-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A very warm welcome to the forum, Roberta.

Have a look on this site:
MyPentax. Camera servicing tips for Pentax and other cameras..
It'll give you some idea of what's involved in taking one of these beasties apart. If you're a bit handy you might be able to fix it yourself. As Seamuis said, it could be something really simple. For starters, try setting the right hand dial to X125 (might be 120 in your case) and see if the shutter works. If it doesn't, try B. On my ME-F the shutter lever doesn't go all the way back unless you deliberately push it. It's part of the way the metering works.

It would be worth your while downloading a manual. I can't remember the website, but just google "pentax manuals" and you'll find it.

Would I pay $115 just for a shutter repair? Frankly, no. There are squillions of used Pentaxes around and all the bayonet lenses fit the K mount ones. I'd get another ME body for $60 or so and keep your current one for practising taking it apart. Then you've got some backup spares, too.

At the very least you've picked up a nice lens cheaply!
11-25-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roberta Quote
i just got a Pentax Asahi ME i not sure how old it is or if it works. i replaced the batteries and the light meter seems to work but im not sure the shutter is working. the shutter lever doesnt seem to be going back all the way, and nothing happens when the release is pressed. it has a SMC pentax -m 1:2 50 mm ashai optical co lense on it. my question is...should i spend the 115$ i was quoted for a general shutter repair.
Go HERE Home- Pentax Camera Service and contact Eric Hendrickson.

Read his history. Read his prices and his mail-in / free-return policy.

He is the absolute best, and he will not charge you for an evaluation. If your cost is more than $75 to bring your ME back to perfect, I'll sell you mine, recently serviced by Eric, for that price.