Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2021, 02:25 PM   #1

Spotmatic SPII help, please

I purchased this camera and when I took it out to shoot the SW button fell off, it's a metering switch, I think. But can the camera be used with out it?

---------- Post added 03-13-21 at 03:45 PM ----------

Here is an image of the switch. Sorry about the mess of a post, I'm with the kids in a park and the switch pops off.

---------- Post added 03-13-21 at 03:45 PM ----------

Here is an image of the switch. Sorry about the mess of a post, I'm with the kids in a park and the switch pops off.

---------- Post added 03-13-21 at 03:47 PM ----------

I don't need a meter, but boy does it hurt to have a messed up camera!! Paid for mint condition through KEH and I'm sure I'm at my 14 day return cut off. Love this camera!!

03-13-2021, 04:41 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That switch only runs the meter, so it will work fine without it. I’d put a piece of opaque tape over it to keep the yuck out.

In the past, cameras I’ve bought from KEH came with warranties outside the return period. I’d check that, too.

-Eric
03-13-2021, 04:44 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
That switch only runs the meter, so it will work fine without it. I’d put a piece of opaque tape over it to keep the yuck out.

In the past, cameras I’ve bought from KEH came with warranties outside the return period. I’d check that, too.

-Eric
THANK YOU.. thank you so much.. I was worried. I had just stuck a roll in here and taken some beautiful shots of my kids.
03-13-2021, 05:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would suggest a dab of superglue, with care not to stop the switch from working!

03-13-2021, 06:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Evertking Quote
THANK YOU.. thank you so much.. I was worried. I had just stuck a roll in here and taken some beautiful shots of my kids.
Right! I believe there is a 180 day warranty. Give them a call or email, I'm sure they will make it right.
03-14-2021, 12:13 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Evertking Quote
I don't need a meter, but boy does it hurt to have a messed up camera!! Paid for mint condition through KEH and I'm sure I'm at my 14 day return cut off. Love this camera!!
Your purchase should be covered under warranty and KEH will repair or replace with same grade within six months of purchase.

Steve
03-14-2021, 06:09 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd get a 2 part epoxy glue.

03-15-2021, 07:30 AM   #8

I would not suggest any glue. The part is not broken. The screw has backed out. Not that uncommon. If there is some relief following up on warranty, that is the best bet. Repairing it does require a bit of disassembly, so may need to go to a pro. I think it is beyond DIY for most.
03-17-2021, 08:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The meter switch also stops the lens down to the working aperture, so it works as a depth-of-field preview, as well as turning on the meter.

With most Pentax brand lenses, there is an A/M switch. Sliding the switch to the M (manual) position, will also stop it down, so you could live without the switch.

Still, I would contact KEH. They have a good reputation and might well have another SPII that they could send you.
04-28-2021, 06:15 AM   #10
tpd

QuoteOriginally posted by Procrastinator Quote
I would not suggest any glue. The part is not broken. The screw has backed out. Not that uncommon. If there is some relief following up on warranty, that is the best bet. Repairing it does require a bit of disassembly, so may need to go to a pro. I think it is beyond DIY for most.
+1 this -- don't glue it! Either the screw has backed out or the thread is stripped in the button.

Fix is straightforward. It does involve removing the leatherette and opening the front of the camera, so probably not a first-time DIY repair. However, you'd need to do the same for any competent CLA on this camera.

I have an SP1000 with the same problem. If I grab the screw in just the right way with my fingertips I can still trip the meter. Rest of the camera works fine without the meter. Good luck!