Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-29-2021, 12:45 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Expired Kodak High-Speed Infrared, what are the odds...

In my latest box of finely curated photographic gear junk, I got an unopened roll of Kodak HIE, expired 11/2006.

No way that's been stored properly this whole time, so what are the odds it will still do anything fun?

Has anyone here shot this stuff when abused? And how about a guess at ISO?

Then I'll have to develop it... yeah, that's not going to the lab... anyone have a preferred developer?

I probably haven't shot IR on film in 20 years... though I still have my filters...

-Eric

03-29-2021, 01:38 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am looking forward to seeing your results. I have a box of 25 4x5 sheets of HSI 4143 that expired in the late 1990s and has been stored unopened and frozen since purchase.

Steve
03-29-2021, 02:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Unless it has been stored frozen (and even then), HIE probably won't survive for the time span you mentioned. It was a fairly high speed emulsion to begin with, and had very poor keeping qualities. I would imagine if you do manage to get any IR images, there will be a lot of fog and decreased IR sensitivity.

That said, if it were I, I would still shoot that roll just to see what happens. Don't forget to compensate for the shift in IR focus (which you can't use a focusing screen for), and shoot with as small an aperture as practical to improve depth-of-field. You might want to cut the roll into sections and test each section to see if you can learn anything along the way. Load in total darkness and there is no safelight recommended for HIE

If you have the box, exposure recommendations are printed on the inside.

Last edited by Bob 256; 03-29-2021 at 02:47 PM.
03-29-2021, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Could you shoot a few frames at multiple exposures, then shoot a couple of blank shots (lens cap on) then go into a darkroom open the camera without rewinding and cut the film and put into a reel and develop it? This test would give a insight of how exposure needs to be treated to get results.

You’d lose some film to this process but the rest wouldn’t be complete guesswork.

03-29-2021, 09:44 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Has anyone here shot this stuff when abused? And how about a guess at ISO?
This might be interesting...

Shooting a roll of Kodak HIE infrared film with a Nikon F-301 - by Charles Higham. - 35mmc

Steve