Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-08-2021, 08:52 AM   #1

ME, ME Super, Super Program

I found these cameras in the closet last week while looking for the lenses. I have a couple of questions about these old cameras.
First are these bodies of any value? I am not planning on using film again, but just don't want to trash them.
Second question is are the K mount lenses from the 1970/1980 usable on the newer DSLR bodies?

04-08-2021, 08:58 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes and yes.

There are many caveats to both of those, but there is potential value in those bodies assuming they are in good shape and functional.
Similarly, the lenses will be compatible with modern digital cameras to various levels.
Their value will be driven by the specifics of what they are. A Focal brand 50mm f2.0 isn’t worth much, but a Pentax 28mm f2.0 may be worth quite a bit...

-Eric
04-08-2021, 09:02 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The answer to both questions is yes. The film bodies may have issue or may be fine, condition is important too.

The light seals disintegrate over time so will need replacement, there are Youtube videos and websites for this.

The lenses can have issues, depending on their storage situation. Fungus, haze, and element separation are the common problems.

Post some photos and list the lens names written on the front of the lens usually, a better idea.
04-08-2021, 09:03 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have 2 ME Supers and 1 ME Super Program. I still use them. The lenses for these cameras can be used on Pentax digital cameras. No autofocus and unless the lens is a KA, which the Super Programed used, then the settings will be manual just like with the ME Super. As far a value for the camera bodies they do not command a high price but are still wanted on the used market. The nice thing about Pentax is that all the lenses can be used by digital cameras. The K mounts without an adapter and the M42 screw mounts with an adapter. Hope that answers your questions.

Herb

04-08-2021, 10:19 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes and yes, with market for the bodies being film photography enthusiast. Market for the lenses is much broader because they are usable on any K-mount camera and adaptable to many modern digital cameras. Value of bodies depends on condition with the ME being worth somewhat less than the ME Super or Super Program. Value of the lenses depends on condition and model.

Steve
04-08-2021, 10:20 AM   #6

I just paid to have an ME Super serviced so as above, yes and yes!

What part of the world are you in, that will likely affect prices if you plan to sell them?
04-08-2021, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

this chart could be very helpful

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-mount Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2020 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.
https://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensCompatibility.html

and the OP might want to review this article

QuoteQuote:
Manual Focus Lens Choices for Pentax
That old glass is amazing!
By K David in Articles and Tips on Jul 19, 2015

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/manual-focus-lens-choic...#ixzz6rSzMuxi9

here is the section of the forums where the OP can go to find out about the lenses:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-08-2021 at 10:41 AM.
04-08-2021, 03:19 PM   #8

Original Poster
I am not trying to sell any of the items just thinking about buying a DSLR, Pentax K-70 maybe, and using the "öld" lenses.

Below is a list of the bodies and lenses:

Manufacturer
Series
Size
Diameter
f Number
S/N
Comment

Bodies

Pentax
ME

Pentax
Super Program

Pentax
ME Super

Lenses

Pentax
SMC Pentax-M
50mm

f 1:7
w/ME
Pentax
SMC Pentax-A
50mm

f 1:7
w/SP
Pentax
SMC Pentax-A
35-80mm
49mm
f 1:4-5.6

Quantaray

85-210mm

F 4.5

Soligor

80-200mm
55mm
F 4.5

SEARS
80-300mm
62mm
f 1:4.0-5.6

Albinar

80-200mm
55mm
f 1:3.9
04-08-2021, 03:40 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Pentax A lenses will meter happily on a digital body. The M50mm f1.7 will work, but you’ll need to fiddle a bit more.

The longer zooms I can’t tell without seeing them... if they have an A on the aperture ring, they will likely be fine for metering.

On the non-Pentax branded lenses, there may be an extra pin on the mount (to work with older Ricoh cameras). Those pins have a habit of getting stuck on Pentax autofocus shafts like those on dslrs...
occasionally, lenses like that may also have a large flange protecting the aperture level that may bump into things.

-Eric
04-08-2021, 05:33 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Yes! All off those will works in manual focus mode
The 2 A lenses will work in full program mode, and the M lenses in Av mode
Since you have both the 50/1.7 in M and A just use the A in the DSLR and leave the M in the ME Super.

The Quantaray, Soligor and Sears I don;t know in which light metering mode.
If they have contacts in the mount area they will work as the A, otherwise as the M
04-09-2021, 05:42 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RMS52 Quote
I am not trying to sell any of the items just thinking about buying a DSLR, Pentax K-70 maybe, and using the "öld" lenses. . . .
another article the OP might want to review when considering using those lenses on a modern Pentax DSLR

QuoteQuote:
Pentax Green Button Guide
A look at one of Pentax's secrets
By johnhilvert in Articles and Tips on Aug 15, 2016

John Hilvert delves into the charms of the misunderstood "green button" on Pentax cameras.

It may not change your life. Yet with just one press it can reset your camera's exposure back to defaults, offer you a dandy spot meter for non-automatic lenses, support you when using manual mode, speed up settings adjustments in the menu, and a lot more! . . .

Read more at: Pentax Green Button Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

if looking for " experienced " equipment, be sure to check out the forums marketplace " buy/sell " I have had very good luck buying such equipment from forum members there

it can be sorted by country:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/?security...d+States&all=1

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-09-2021 at 06:09 AM.