Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2021, 07:17 PM   #1

50mm F1.4 8 Element on an with K Mount adapter MX

Hello,
Can anyone help me with whether an early 50mm 1.4 8 element M42 screw mount lens
will work, or interfere with a Pentax MX camera with non-flange M42-K mount lens
adapter?

As I understand the 50mm 1.4 8 element M42 lens was not recommended for
use with cameras other than the new Spotmatic which it was launched with. That is,
the earlier M42 mount cameras may interfere with the protruding rear element.

Will this lens interfere with the mirror on the MX with a non-flange adapter? I really don't
want to damage either the lens or my MX. So BTDT would be great, or advice on how to
test (tape on the back of the lens?) would be great too?

Thanks, Mike

04-09-2021, 12:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You could open the back and lock the shutter open with a cable release. Slowly screw in the lens checking that it doesn't touch the mirror looking through the back of the camera.

My guess is that it'll be fine as the lens was incompatible with cameras older than the Spottie, but is fine with M42 cameras later than it. I suspect that would carry over to the K-mount bodies.

K.
04-09-2021, 12:16 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I have this lens and it works fine on MX. (I use genuine Pentax adapter)

Last edited by BarneyL; 04-09-2021 at 12:50 AM.
04-09-2021, 08:01 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

As far as I understand, the interference was with the auto pin pushbar in screwmount cameras, not the mirror. K mount don't have that pushbar.

Thanks,

04-09-2021, 10:44 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

As far as I understand, the interference was with the auto pin pushbar in screwmount cameras, not the mirror. K mount don't have that pushbar.

Thanks,
Rear element/collar impinges on the push bar.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-09-2021 at 12:46 PM.
04-10-2021, 10:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The 8 element Tak works fine with the MX. I use that combo frequently.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikehopton Quote
As I understand the 50mm 1.4 8 element M42 lens was not recommended for
use with cameras other than the new Spotmatic which it was launched with. That is,
the earlier M42 mount cameras may interfere with the protruding rear element.
Not quite. The 8 element Takumar was released well before the Spotmatic line, and all Spotmatics are compatible. The compatibility issues are with some earlier S-series bodies (S2, S3, S1a etc) that had a different design for the aperture push lever. This isn’t model specific (ie. some SVs are fine while some will jam), and the easiest way to tell is the colour of the ‘R’ on the rewind crank. Red R means all is good, green R means it won’t work*.

*Note that all Spotmatics have a green R but all are compatible. The colour only has significance on the S series.