Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2021, 10:45 AM   #1

Pentax P30 possible battery issue

So I've recently bought a P30 (my first analogue camera), but I can't get it to work.

The film advance lever won't move the full distance. I've got film loaded (not sure if that matters) and the camera came with batteries installed. I could see the icons light up when looking down the viewfinder so wasn't sure if the batteries were the issue but I read somewhere else it could be. I have now tried several sets of brand new batteries but the issue still persists.

The only reason I still think it could be battery related is that after not touching the camera for a couple of days it worked once immediately after turning it on, then back to not working.

Any advice on this would be appreciated!

04-19-2021, 11:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is film new? Make sure it is installed correctly. If not maybe you have finished it?
04-19-2021, 11:19 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Is film new? Make sure it is installed correctly. If not maybe you have finished it?
The film is new and I'm pretty sure it's installed correctly. I found a copy of the manual online and followed that. But as the lever to advance the film won't fully move I can't advance the film at all.
05-14-2021, 12:55 PM   #4

Perhaps the film lever does move the full distance, but it is not cocking the shutter? After you wind on, is it possible to wind on another frame?
I have seen this problem reported before, apparently caused by worn rubbers in the film advance mechanism. See thread here:
The Classic Camera Repair Forum: Pentax P30 wind on problem

Last edited by andrewd; 05-14-2021 at 02:37 PM.