Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
05-01-2021, 10:19 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
I've got a roll going.

Shooting in aperture priority. I'm not super clear on how the meter should work in manual. Need to read more, I suppose.
You match the needle with the LED.

05-02-2021, 02:56 AM   #17
Pentaxian

This might help you... a full manual for the LX: Pentax LX camera manual, user manual
PDF version: https://www.butkus.org/chinon/pentax/pentax_lx/pentax_lx.pdf

Last edited by RobSpain; 05-02-2021 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Added an extra link
05-02-2021, 03:31 AM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've got a roll going.

Shooting in aperture priority. I'm not super clear on how the meter should work in manual. Need to read more, I suppose.
hope you never need it but just in case here is the pdf of the service manual:

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/lx_repair.pdf
05-02-2021, 06:07 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The ATXs were amazing for the time, and the 28-70/2.8 was a beast. I used it in Nikon mount while in college

There are advantages to "being the guy who shoots Pentax". This is the 2nd time in the last few years that a friend has said "hey, I've got an old Pentax film camera and some lenses in a box, do you want it?"

This time it's an LX with 2 eye pieces! It seems to be in great shape, but a bit dusty. Shutter seems crisp, the battery is still good.

The lenses are also dusty, but I don't immediately see anything that makes me think of fungus.

There is a Tokina AT-X 28-70/2.8 AF, which I didn't have and it fills a nice little spot for me.
There is also an intriguing Spiratone 18mm prime in there. The widest I currently have for film is 35mm, so that's a nice jump.

06-14-2021, 05:59 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Finished that first roll. No earth moving subjects, but it'll be a good test for the camera and a few of the lenses.

I'll have to check in with our developing place to see when I can get them back. Will post a few of the photos when I get them.

I really enjoy the camera, though. It'll be a nice addition to my growing collection.
06-16-2021, 04:27 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So, the roll of film is off being developed and I know a bit more about the camera.

I had trouble getting the film out and had to resort to looking at the manual and when I did, I realized that the rewind knob was missing (I thought it looked strange).

We have a good local camera repair shop and he got the film out for me and fitted a Canon knob on there for me, until I can source a proper one. He also tested my shutter speeds and said all of the faster ones were significantly off. He said it seemed to work okay in aperture priority, which is good to know.

He wasn't as impressed with the LX as we seemed to be. He has Pentax stuff in there and has never reacted that way to MXs or K1000s. Not sure what to think about that.

I'm looking forward to seeing the photos, though if he's right about the shutter speeds, some of them are likely to be over-exposed. Will post.
06-16-2021, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good luck with the film development. The latitude of film is one reason I miss using my old film Pentaxes (including an LX), so you may still be OK in spite of the shutter speeds being off.

06-16-2021, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
So, the roll of film is off being developed and I know a bit more about the camera.

I had trouble getting the film out and had to resort to looking at the manual and when I did, I realized that the rewind knob was missing (I thought it looked strange).

We have a good local camera repair shop and he got the film out for me and fitted a Canon knob on there for me, until I can source a proper one. He also tested my shutter speeds and said all of the faster ones were significantly off. He said it seemed to work okay in aperture priority, which is good to know.

He wasn't as impressed with the LX as we seemed to be. He has Pentax stuff in there and has never reacted that way to MXs or K1000s. Not sure what to think about that.

I'm looking forward to seeing the photos, though if he's right about the shutter speeds, some of them are likely to be over-exposed. Will post.
If by significant he means 5 or more stops then it might just start requiring some minor post work - depending on which film . . .
06-16-2021, 05:33 PM   #24
Veteran Member

He wasn't as impressed with the LX as we seemed to be. ...
Well, this is a Pentax forum and to join you have to worship to the alter of the LX..
06-16-2021, 09:04 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

I can understand how the Pentax LX can be overlooked but I quickly developed a better appreciation of it once I got into the history of SLRs. Consider that in early 1980, Nikon and Canon were anticipated to release their 3rd generation pro SLR. Yes, Canon actually released a first generation to compete with Nikon's F.

However, Pentax released it's one and only interchangeable viewfinder pro 35mm SLR at the same time as Nikon's F3 and Canon's New F-1 and it was top of the class!

06-17-2021, 03:22 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I can understand how the Pentax LX can be overlooked..
It's just not as well known, but honestly I think it's now better known than the Canon F1.
06-17-2021, 04:06 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Huss Quote
It's just not as well known, but honestly I think it's now better known than the Canon F1.
Canon must've been enamored with the F-1 designation so you have to be precise when refering to them as they have the original F-1 (1971), the F-1 Later Model (1976) and the New F-1 (1981)
06-17-2021, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Canon must've been enamored with the F-1 designation so you have to be precise when refering to them as they have the original F-1 (1971), the F-1 Later Model (1976) and the New F-1 (1981)
They should have named the new F1 the F4, and cut Nikon off at the pass...
06-24-2021, 01:40 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Got my roll back, honestly they didn't look all that good. I used a few different lenses, including some that I have owned and know to be good lenses. I also shot the new lenses on my K5 to confirm that they are .. you know ... in fact lenses. I completely missed focus on about 1/2 of the shots, which I could see one or two. I really don't like the focusing screen as much as the ones in my MXs. I don't know if something else is going on.

Does anyone know if Eric Hendrickson is still in business. It might need to be sent in.

06-24-2021, 05:03 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Got my roll back, honestly they didn't look all that good. I used a few different lenses, including some that I have owned and know to be good lenses. I also shot the new lenses on my K5 to confirm that they are .. you know ... in fact lenses. I completely missed focus on about 1/2 of the shots, which I could see one or two. I really don't like the focusing screen as much as the ones in my MXs. I don't know if something else is going on.

Does anyone know if Eric Hendrickson is still in business. It might need to be sent in.
You didn't say what eyepieces you got with it but most of the LX viewfinders have a diopter adjustment . . . hopefully it's just an adjustment . . .

You can contact Eric at https://pentaxs.com/