Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
05-07-2021, 01:27 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Spotmatic SP II Data back

Dear Forum

Today a rare Pentax arrived, with a lot of help from a fellow forum member. The camera is the Asahi Pentax Spotmatic II Data II. The camera was a special order, made between 1971 and 1973. I do not have any information about how many of these were made.

The same data back was also available for Spotmatic and Spotmatic SP F and the ESII. The SPF and ESII even had a MD option. Later a similar data back was made for K2 DMD, MX and LX.

These data backs are quite different to the dial backs and digital backs. The data back features interchangeable inserts: a clock insert, and a memo insert. The clock insert can print an image of an analog-clock with hours, minutes, and seconds. You can also jot down a small text on the tiny circle in the middle of the clock face. Or write a small text on the memo insert.

The operations of the data back is simple. The only fiddly bit is that you must move a small blind down to cover a portion of the film in order for the clock image to be super imposed from the back in the proper manner. To correctly expose the clock or memos image on the film you must set the correct film speed using the dial on top of the housing. White numbers for B/W and red numbers for coloured film. Connect the cable to the flash terminal. A battery test button can be pressed to test the battery status and a red led flashes during exposure and of course if the battery is tested. There is even a terminal to connect it to an external battery source.

The data back takes a 6V battery,

There was also a ready-case made for the SPII Data II.

From a Norwegian price list from 1974, the SP II data with S-M-C Takumar 50mm F1.4 listed at 3 667kr, which would be 23 920 Kr in 2020-value, or about the same as a new Pentax K-3 III, about 2 900 USD.

This particular camera was one I came across on a British camera store. It has undergone a CLA and looks and works smooth. Just need to stock it up with film. It didn’t have the actual clock insert, but I have one with a data back that was made for the LX. The inserts are interchangeable.

If you have another of these Pentax Data backs in your collection, why don’t you share a photo of it in the comments?

---------- Post added 05-07-2021 at 10:31 PM ----------

One more detail, from what I know, the K2 DMD and LX are the only two cameras designed in a manner that allows for an interchangable back cover, i.e. you can order this particular type of data back without having to make adjustments to the camera body: The blind shown in the last picture above was put there in the factory. The K2 DMD was also the first Pentax where the motor drive could be bought as an option and used without modifying the camera body.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G781B  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-G781B  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-G781B  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-G781B  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-G781B  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-G781B  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-G781B  Photo 

Last edited by Baard-Einar; 05-07-2021 at 01:32 PM.
05-07-2021, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Nice camera!

Enjoy.
05-07-2021, 03:43 PM   #3
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How awkward is it putting the camera up to your eye? The data back protrudes from the back of the camera more than I would have thought.

Added: I'm left-eye dominant so I always used my left eye when viewing through my cameras until I had my cataract operations.
05-07-2021, 04:42 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Dear Forum

Today a rare Pentax arrived, with a lot of help from a fellow forum member. The camera is the Asahi Pentax Spotmatic II Data II. The camera was a special order, made between 1971 and 1973. I do not have any information about how many of these were made.

The same data back was also available for Spotmatic and Spotmatic SP F and the ESII. The SPF and ESII even had a MD option. Later a similar data back was made for K2 DMD, MX and LX.

These data backs are quite different to the dial backs and digital backs. The data back features interchangeable inserts: a clock insert, and a memo insert. The clock insert can print an image of an analog-clock with hours, minutes, and seconds. You can also jot down a small text on the tiny circle in the middle of the clock face. Or write a small text on the memo insert.

The operations of the data back is simple. The only fiddly bit is that you must move a small blind down to cover a portion of the film in order for the clock image to be super imposed from the back in the proper manner. To correctly expose the clock or memos image on the film you must set the correct film speed using the dial on top of the housing. White numbers for B/W and red numbers for coloured film. Connect the cable to the flash terminal. A battery test button can be pressed to test the battery status and a red led flashes during exposure and of course if the battery is tested. There is even a terminal to connect it to an external battery source.

The data back takes a 6V battery,

There was also a ready-case made for the SPII Data II.

From a Norwegian price list from 1974, the SP II data with S-M-C Takumar 50mm F1.4 listed at 3 667kr, which would be 23 920 Kr in 2020-value, or about the same as a new Pentax K-3 III, about 2 900 USD.

This particular camera was one I came across on a British camera store. It has undergone a CLA and looks and works smooth. Just need to stock it up with film. It didn’t have the actual clock insert, but I have one with a data back that was made for the LX. The inserts are interchangeable.

If you have another of these Pentax Data backs in your collection, why don’t you share a photo of it in the comments?

---------- Post added 05-07-2021 at 10:31 PM ----------

One more detail, from what I know, the K2 DMD and LX are the only two cameras designed in a manner that allows for an interchangable back cover, i.e. you can order this particular type of data back without having to make adjustments to the camera body: The blind shown in the last picture above was put there in the factory. The K2 DMD was also the first Pentax where the motor drive could be bought as an option and used without modifying the camera body.
looks pretty awesome never seen one before

05-07-2021, 06:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Never knew these existed.
05-08-2021, 02:21 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Nice camera!

Enjoy.
Thanks, Kris!

---------- Post added 05-08-2021 at 11:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
How awkward is it putting the camera up to your eye? The data back protrudes from the back of the camera more than I would have thought.

Added: I'm left-eye dominant so I always used my left eye when viewing through my cameras until I had my cataract operations.
It does protrude and makes the handling harder. Using the left eye would not make it any easier.

I am sure that the use of these data backs were for some Scientific application, thus the MD versions with coupling to a timer would increase the useability. There was a timer available for the Spottie MD versions, seen them in the Pentax literature, but never seen them in the wild.
05-08-2021, 08:50 PM - 4 Likes   #7

A regular Pentax Data II vs a Zeiss databack. Note the cutouts in the pressure plate, there is a lot of information being output. The body also has the mirror lock-up mod as well as being a motor-drive body so has most of the available Pentax modifications.

The analog timer to suit the motor drive and databack combination. I don't have the cables or the instruction book so I'm not sure how it was all connected. There were two versions, one calibrated for minutes and the other for hours, both had a list price of $594 back in 1975 which was nearly double the cost of a KX body.

Two very rare cameras; the ESII with motor-drive and Data II and the K2DMD with Data MD. Despite the name it is very rare to find a K2DMD with the Data MD as it was a very costly option. In 1977 the list price for a black K2 was $471.46, a K2DMD was $566.50, plus $343.95 for the MD, $124.95 for a Battery Grip M or NiCad battery pack and finally another $447.50 for the Data MD. A grand total of $1472.90 compared to $448.50 for a plain silver K2.

05-09-2021, 12:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

🧐👍🏻❤️

(I don't normally talk in emojis but this time...)
05-09-2021, 03:09 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote
A regular Pentax Data II vs a Zeiss databack. Note the cutouts in the pressure plate, there is a lot of information being output. The body also has the mirror lock-up mod as well as being a motor-drive body so has most of the available Pentax modifications.
Two very rare cameras; the ESII with motor-drive and Data II and the K2DMD with Data MD. Despite the name it is very rare to find a K2DMD with the Data MD as it was a very costly option. In 1977 the list price for a black K2 was $471.46, a K2DMD was $566.50, plus $343.95 for the MD, $124.95 for a Battery Grip M or NiCad battery pack and finally another $447.50 for the Data MD. A grand total of $1472.90 compared to $448.50 for a plain silver K2.

What a great setup. Thank you for sharing. The timer is so cool! Actually a K2 DMD with Data MD was sold on ebay in the begining of April this year for 175 CAD. It didn't come up in my searches. And a MX with the Data II was also sold earlier this ear.
05-09-2021, 08:06 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I posted this on another thread but... I was looking for my Charger Pack M and didn't find it, but I did find my clock back for MX Data. I no longer have the clock insert or the PC socket cable though. The clock I used to carry in my pocket and lost it somewhere.

05-09-2021, 10:39 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I might have two charger Ms... I'll have to check.
05-09-2021, 02:17 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I might have two charger Ms... I'll have to check.
If you do, let me know.

05-09-2021, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
What a great setup. Thank you for sharing. The timer is so cool! Actually a K2 DMD with Data MD was sold on ebay in the begining of April this year for 175 CAD. It didn't come up in my searches. And a MX with the Data II was also sold earlier this ear.
I bought the Data MD back by itself from KEH earlier this year. It only cost me $98 but it had taken years to find one.
01-12-2022, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Dear forum

Another MD back came to my attention today, and that is the one called Data K. It is made for the KX.

This Data K is not listed here Backs for the Pentax K-Mount Bodies | The K-Mount Page. But I found a user manual for it and a reference that there were two version of this.

So looking at the user manual the KX is changed with:

1. A plate in the film area to cover up for where the image created by the Data K is exposed
2. Contact on the bottom plate connecting the body to the Data K

A second version is supposed to exist with the contact pins on the bottom plate, but a cable to connect the Data K back to the flash port.

I don't know if this combo was available also with the motor drive option.

Anyone here who owns a KX with the Data K back?

---------- Post added 01-12-2022 at 02:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
I posted this on another thread but... I was looking for my Charger Pack M and didn't find it, but I did find my clock back for MX Data. I no longer have the clock insert or the PC socket cable though. The clock I used to carry in my pocket and lost it somewhere.
If you wish to let this go, give me a shout.
Attached Images