Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Clean/Buff viewfinder Eyepiece? (LX)

Hey, I picked up a late model LX with an FA-1 finder a month or so ago, and had it sent off for a CLA as a premature caution against sticky mirror syndrome. Seems to be working great, and compared to my MX I love the brighter viewfinder & easier to rotate shutter speed dial.

However, on the outermost eyepiece of the FA-1 finder, there are quite a few micro-scratches from previous attempts at cleaning it by the previous owner(s?). This means that there's a noticeable slight 'haze', which becomes quite annoying when shooting in bright light or if there's a light source in the frame.

As replacement finders are quite rare and pricey (as much again as an LX alone!), I was wondering if there are some products like iPod screen cleaner that will fill in the micro-abrasions, etc. Or if there's a way to disassemble the diopter assembly and remove that piece for easier cleaning. I'm a little worried that the SMC coating has taken a beating.

11-24-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
If it is plastic, meguires makes a plasti-x polish for car headlights that seemed to removed the film from my ist* viewfinder.
11-24-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CSoars Quote

As replacement finders are quite rare and pricey (as much again as an LX alone!), I was wondering if there are some products like iPod screen cleaner that will fill in the micro-abrasions, etc. Or if there's a way to disassemble the diopter assembly and remove that piece for easier cleaning. I'm a little worried that the SMC coating has taken a beating.
Email Eric at Pentax Camera Service for advice - if he doesn't know, no one knows!!

Home - Pentax Camera Service
11-24-2008, 11:05 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the referral, I will send him out a message.

11-26-2008, 08:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't laugh, but I have read that Lemon Pledge furniture cleaner/wax will help with scratches in plastic. I tried it with my PZ-1P top display and it did seem to help. I also leaves you camera smelling lemony-fresh
11-27-2008, 04:21 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Hey baldeagle21b, I'm trying real hard not to laugh, but failing, what happens if your allergic to lemons, does pine fresh work OK
11-27-2008, 05:49 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Hey baldeagle21b, I'm trying real hard not to laugh, but failing, what happens if your allergic to lemons, does pine fresh work OK
Hmm, a little too clinical for my taste, but who knows, it might. Now that I think about it, the lemon stuff might help to dispel cigarette smoke odor, too. Offered FWIW.

11-27-2008, 06:39 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CSoars Quote
Thanks for the referral, I will send him out a message.
The LX finder is glass, not plastic. I had a rear eyepiece glass made years ago by an optical lab. It wasn't terribly expensive to do, although it was a bit of a hassle.
I had to send the camera for disassembly, they sent the eyepiece glass to me, I had the replacement glass made, which I then sent to the repair depot for reassembly.
I don't know if I would go to this much trouble now, but the LX is a very nice camera.
11-27-2008, 08:26 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The LX finder is glass, not plastic. I had a rear eyepiece glass made years ago by an optical lab. It wasn't terribly expensive to do, although it was a bit of a hassle.
I had to send the camera for disassembly, they sent the eyepiece glass to me, I had the replacement glass made, which I then sent to the repair depot for reassembly.
I don't know if I would go to this much trouble now, but the LX is a very nice camera.
Eric replied that the eyepiece is likely still available from pentax and that it's not an expensive fix. I've taken the finder cover off to check the ttl connections and aperture window, but didn't recall any hardware holding the diopter/viewfinder assembly together, otherwise I'd try and replace it myself. I suspect he has easier access to parts as well.

I was pretty sure it's glass, and SMC coated to boot. You're right, the LX is a very nice camera, barring the shutter's metallic 'ping' after being tripped. The crisp snap of the MX's cloth unit is somehow more comforting.