Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-17-2021, 12:02 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Bodies w/ "bar graph light meter?"

My very first SLR was a ZX-M and I very much liked it, but (stupidly) gave it away when I went "fully digital" about 10 years ago. I've recently taken an interest in film again, but don't own a working Pentax Body.

I've now bought two SF1s and a ZX-M, all untested, and none of them work.......I may be able to "frankenstein" the SF1 bodies together, but dislike the way the meter is displayed on those. The ZX-M has great controls and the same "bar graph meter" that my KP has, so I'm leaning towards tracking down a good one because the viewfinder readout is similar to what I'm used to.

Before I do that, does anyone happen to know what other film bodies have that style meter?

Last edited by trixtroll; 05-17-2021 at 12:39 PM. Reason: I thought I had a ZX-5, but it was really a ZX-M
05-17-2021, 03:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Not really, the MX might be a close match but still, very far apart.
05-17-2021, 06:36 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My first guess would be other ZX cameras. I think the ZX-L has one (I had that camera a couple years ago), and you can also check user manuals to confirm, they usually have some sort of photo of the viewfinder display.
05-17-2021, 08:08 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I have a ZX-M you can have for cheap (shipping cost) if you want. Seems like it works (i.e. it turns on, it fires), but I've never actually used it. Most of the lettering on the dials is worn off, in fact the lettering everywhere. (It doesn't even say PENTAX anymore). I only know it is a ZX-M because it came in the original box w/ manual. (I was really just buying the lenses that the guy had.) I also have "cable switch F" that goes with it.

Last edited by vonBaloney; 05-17-2021 at 08:30 PM.
05-17-2021, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A lot of the ZX cameras have "issues" that are common. If you buy one, be sure you can return it if it doesn't work. PZ-1 cameras have a vertical bar graph.
05-18-2021, 03:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
A lot of the ZX cameras have "issues" that are common. If you buy one, be sure you can return it if it doesn't work. PZ-1 cameras have a vertical bar graph.
Oh, I was not aware of the PZ-1 and nice tested examples aren’t crazy expensive.
05-18-2021, 06:39 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by trixtroll Quote
Oh, I was not aware of the PZ-1 and nice tested examples aren’t crazy expensive.
CHeck the manuals here:
https://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_pz-1.pdf
There are drawing on the viewfinder that you can compare

05-18-2021, 10:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I have a ZX-M you can have for cheap (shipping cost) if you want. Seems like it works (i.e. it turns on, it fires), but I've never actually used it. Most of the lettering on the dials is worn off, in fact the lettering everywhere. (It doesn't even say PENTAX anymore). I only know it is a ZX-M because it came in the original box w/ manual. (I was really just buying the lenses that the guy had.) I also have "cable switch F" that goes with it.
What a generous offer.
05-19-2021, 09:25 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I know it's a petty feature to want, but it's good to know there are other film bodies if I can't get one of the three working. The battery that I have for the SF1s is only reading 4.1 volts on my multimeter, so I'm hoping the new battery that I ordered off Amazon brings it to life and I can finally shoot some of the film that I have in the fridge.

Crossing fingers.
05-20-2021, 11:20 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I believe this now qualifies as a camera repair thread if any of the admins wants to move this to the camera repair section......The current state of the "collection" is as follows:
  • SF1 #1 is partially dismantled on my kitchen table. The shutter is totally borked, but the drive motors and gears look good.
  • SF1 #2 is waiting for the Amazon Delivery Driver to drop off a battery.
  • The eBay seller sent me a refund for the the ZX-M and told me to keep it. Aside from the mirror issue this thing looks like it's never been used, so I'm about to tear it apart and try to order one of the polish gears and fix it myself.
  • I impulsively purchased a P30T from KEH this morning......it doesn't have the modern display or controls that I'm used to, but there's a lot less to go wrong.
  • I have 3 rolls of Tri-X in my fridge

My grand total is now $126, including film and batteries..........Maybe I'll get to fire a roll though one of them before July?