Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-25-2021, 04:44 PM   #1

new to me super program won't fire

hey guys, first post.
i just picked up a super program with dead batteries. kinda took a gamble at $50 since i couldn't test it but it's super clean and has little wear, plus it came with the pentax-a 28mm f2.8 lens that will help build my pentax lens collection. picked up some batteries for it and the lcd is working as it should, i stuck it in auto and attempted to fire it off and the mirror got stuck in the up position.
did some searching around and found that this can happen from sitting or if the foam bumper has turned to goo, which isn't the case here. a couple threads said you can lightly push down on the back shutter arms and the mirror will fall back into place, which is what i did. that worked for the mirror, and i can wind the camera now, however it doesn't stop winding and it won't fire off.
wondering if anyone has ran into this before, or has any ideas as to what could be going on with it. i'd love to get it back to taking pictures!

05-25-2021, 05:18 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

should you decide to see if a professional might be able to help, follow the link below

QuoteQuote:
US
KEH.com (GA, Most current and vintage gear)
Eric Hendrickson (Vintage cameras, Current and vintage lenses)
Precision Camera (Authorized to perform warranty service, NC)
Advance Camera (Most current and vintage gear, Portland, OR)
General Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Garry's Camera Repair (IL, select film SLRs)
International Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Halcyon Cameras | Vintage Camera Restoration (Vintage film cameras, San Diego, CA)
Camera Repair Japan (Services Sigma lenses and more, Atlanta, GA)
Allied Camera (MN, manual film cameras)
Bill Rogers Camera (LV, NV, film-era cameras and lenses)
Phototronic (Topeka, KS, film and digital camera repair)
Lezot's Camera Center (VT, film SLRs / medium format)

Read more at: Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - Page 9 - PentaxForums.com
05-25-2021, 09:17 PM   #3

Original Poster
thanks for that but i couldn't justify sending this thing off to someone.
if i can't get it going on my own, it'll just be stuck on a shelf until forever. i may take a crack at trying to fix it, but i don't like the idea of going in not knowing what i'm doing haha.
worse case, it wouldn't take much to put the front grip and rear door with the thumb rest on my mv
05-26-2021, 02:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
At least you got a nice lens out of the deal. If you have the tools and patience you can probably fix it, the service manual is probably available. If not it may look nice on a shelf.

05-26-2021, 12:28 PM   #5

I used to play around with mechanical film cameras. Take the base off and see how things work. You may discover a cam or gear that does not seem to move correctly or a spring that is no longer attached. You have nothing to loose, the camera is not working now.

Jim
05-26-2021, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

sometimes they need some coaxing
I think the bumper for the mirror return turns to goo, but it's the one inside the camera not the one you can see.

My MESuper needed a good smack
Take the camera with your right hand and firmly smack the bottom on your left palm to unstick-it
After that you might get lucky with repairs, but I ain;t that brave

PS Service manual here: https://learncamerarepair.com/product.php?product=48&category=2&secondary=10
I think is the bumper B41 in page 30

Last edited by titrisol; 05-26-2021 at 01:18 PM.
05-26-2021, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
i found some info online and i think i can give it a solid go at fixing it. basically, a latch inside gets a bit gummed up and doesn't let things move like they should. i don't have precision JIS drivers at the moment, but i just ordered some up. once i get them i'll see what i can figure out.
in the meantime, i'm using the lens and back door on my mv. if i'm not able to fix the super program, at least it's providing some spares for my other pentaxes!

05-27-2021, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

The A28/2.8 is a very good lens, enjoy it!
05-27-2021, 08:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

And if you can't get it to work, you can just buy my perfectly working Super A (the much cooler black version of the Super Program).
06-04-2021, 10:46 AM   #10

Have you gotten it working?
06-04-2021, 10:26 PM   #11

Original Poster
not yet. i just got my screwdrivers but i haven't had a chance to sit down and take the thing apart. i have an mv and a k1000 that i've been shooting with a lot lately and the super program hasn't been on my mind a lot.
i am looking forward to cracking it open, though.