Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2021, 09:40 AM   #1

Pentax ME Super

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Pentax ME Super, but the take-up spool isn't functioning at all. Having done some research it appears this is a common problem with this particular model and is costly to repair. My question is whether I should opt for a Pentax MX instead? I do enjoy shooting aperture priority, but using something reliable takes precedence. Have MX owners experienced similar mechanical problems to the ME Super?

Thanks

Last edited by joedonohoe22; 05-30-2021 at 09:48 AM.
05-30-2021, 09:45 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Easy answer... find another ME Super - they can be had cheap as chips...

MX seem to have a premium price.
05-30-2021, 10:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joedonohoe22 Quote
but the take-up spool isn't functioning at all.
maybe the rewind button is not disengaging......does the sprocket not turn as well? does the shutter cock?

and +1 on another MES......the mx does carry a price tag
05-31-2021, 04:03 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
maybe the rewind button is not disengaging......does the sprocket not turn as well? does the shutter cock?
The winder advance works as it should, but the take-up spool and sprocket doesn't turn at all. The film release button on the base works fine too.

05-31-2021, 04:34 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've had film transport issues on a MX before (though I understand the underlying reason and how to fix it is different).
If you like aperture-priority, definitely try another ME Super, or maybe even a Super Program/Super A
Or some of the newer P-series cameras (there are some feature differences there, though)
All of those are usually extremely inexpensive. Nice MX bodies often carry a premium.

-Eric
06-01-2021, 01:38 AM   #6

I would recommend a Pentax Super A. According to an official Pentax repair Service Partner in Germany (kamerazeit.de) has the Pentax Super A a much longer espected lifte time then the Me Super. I am very satisfied with my own Super A.
06-01-2021, 02:52 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks all for chiming in. I bought another ME Super which has been refurbished. If I experience any further mechanical failures, I'll look into the Super A!

06-02-2021, 12:05 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks all for chiming in. I bought another ME Super which has been refurbished. If I experience any further mechanical failures, I'll look into the Super A!
I have looked into the works of the ME Super from below and they are rather flimsy. Stamped tin bends and the result is winder problems. I gave up on my ME Super. My ME seems more reliable, and MY several (5) MXs are built to a much better standard. Get an MX or KX if you want a bigger camera.
06-03-2021, 04:25 AM   #9

Original Poster
Interesting that the ME seems to be a more reliable model than the ME Super. You'd think they were more or less the same, no?
06-03-2021, 04:36 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting that the ME seems to be a more reliable model than the ME Super. You'd think they were more or less the same, no?
The ME came out in 1976 when more metal was used in the construction. The ME Super came out in 1980, things changed....

Phil.
06-03-2021, 06:25 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The ME also had the Asahi brand; which the MEsuper didn't (just a curiosity)

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
The ME came out in 1976 when more metal was used in the construction. The ME Super came out in 1980, things changed....

Phil.