Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2021, 04:52 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
FA-1 diopter adjustment

I am wondering if someone could shed some light on how to adjust the diopter of the LX FA-1. Well, I use contact lenses, and on my left eye, which I look through the finder with, I use - 1.5 in strength. I wear contact lenses when photographing, should the diopter be set to "0". When adjusting the diopter, should the lens be taken off, or left on?

I am grateful for any advice about FA-1 diopter adjustment!

06-02-2021, 06:00 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If your eyes are "fully corrected" with contacts or glasses, then set the diopter to 0.
06-02-2021, 06:27 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you ProfessorBuzz! My eyesight is in fact a slightly more complex issue. Without contact lenses I have perfect vision for about 1 meter, then things start to get blurry. I am near sighted. With contact lenses my eyesight is great from about 1 meter till infinity, so I have to use reading glasses in combination with the contact lenses. In other words, my eyesight is not fully corrected.
06-02-2021, 06:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You should be fine with the 0 diopter setting ProfessorBuzz suggested. That makes the viewfinder emulate what a person would see looking at an object placed at infinity. In this case that would be the screen and any framing lines (reticles) placed on that screen. Since you can see well at infinity with your contacts, you should see the VF image ok. If not, just adjust the diopter setting to where the framing lines are sharpest and that should be the proper setting for you. Then if the image is fuzzy, it's the camera that's out of focus - not your vision.

06-02-2021, 07:43 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you Bob! I fact, I had to adjust the diopter to about -1 to achieve a sharp viewfinder. Now everything is okay
06-02-2021, 12:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bjolester Quote
My eyesight is in fact a slightly more complex issue. Without contact lenses I have perfect vision for about 1 meter, then things start to get blurry. I am near sighted. With contact lenses my eyesight is great from about 1 meter till infinity, so I have to use reading glasses in combination with the contact lenses. In other words, my eyesight is not fully corrected.
That is not really complex, it is very common. I'm the same, as is anyone who is basically short-sighted, wears contact lenses for it, and is over the age of about 40 (and hence diminished ability to accomodate for distance). My FA-1 is also set to around 0 - for someone who's eyes focus on infinity (with or without contact lenses).
06-02-2021, 12:37 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Tweak it until the shutter speed numbers in the viewfinder are sharp then you're good to go. Same as with the modern digitals, tweak the dial until the read-outs are clear.

I can never make my mind-up whether to set things up to work with or without my glasses. Doesn't help that many of my cameras don't have the ability (or only via slip-on correction lenses which tend to slip-off and get lost).

K.