Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2021, 02:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

New B&W film

Anyone seen this? :- For new black and white film, say the secret codeword: "Kosmo Foto Agent Shadow"...but is it really a film noir film? | EMULSIVE

Announcing Kosmo Foto Agent Shadow black-and-white film - Kosmo Foto

Its great to see new b&w film appearing. I wonder who is making it for them?

06-13-2021, 03:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
Will be interesting to see if it's a truly "new" emulsion or just a re-branded one like their Mono film.

Phil.
06-13-2021, 05:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Will be interesting to see if it's a truly "new" emulsion or just a re-branded one like their Mono film.

Phil.
"The film is made by one of the most famous names in film production, with nearly 150 years’ experience making film and photographic products."

Well if anything, by this sentence alone that's on their Kickstarter we know Ilford is involved in making the film.
06-13-2021, 10:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

a tried-and-trusted black-and-white film now available to pre-order on our Kickstarter campaign.

So it's Kentmere 400.

06-14-2021, 01:18 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Kosmo Mono is Fomapan 100... Shadow is perhaps Fomapan 400, but Foma is only 100 years old...
06-14-2021, 07:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Kosmo Mono is Fomapan 100... Shadow is perhaps Fomapan 400, but Foma is only 100 years old...
"nearly" 150,,, could be FOMA, Ilford/Kentmere or Gevaert
06-14-2021, 07:46 AM   #7

It doesn't matter what it is. That a 'new' B&W film (or an old film re-branded and maybe tweaked) is being publicised suggests there is still a market for B&W film and there is confidence in film as a viable medium. The more manufacturers producing film, the less chance it has of becoming a niche market, surely?

06-14-2021, 08:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell W. Barnes Quote
It doesn't matter what it is. That a 'new' B&W film (or an old film re-branded and maybe tweaked) is being publicised suggests there is still a market for B&W film and there is confidence in film as a viable medium. The more manufacturers producing film, the less chance it has of becoming a niche market, surely?
Judging by film sales at my local shop, it's doing really well. They are restocking their shelves weekly. And with products like Cinestill DF96 Monobath making it really easy to develop at home, things are just getting better.

I'm with you, I don't care if stuff is rebranded as long as it keeps peeps interested/excited/happy. The packaging for this film is very cute and fun. Kentmere film (which I love) comes in about as dull packaging as you could imagine. Standard FOMA packaging is frankly depressing. Yet their retro packaging was so cool!
06-14-2021, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm a bit confused now. The Kosmo link says "Agent Shadow is an established emulsion made by one of the most respected names in film photography". So in reality its just a new packaging?
06-14-2021, 09:26 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really don't care if it is a new or re-packaged emulsion. The main story is that film is not dead. It's very hopeful to hear about "new" film rolls coming up and not only older ones discontinued. We'll see where this is gonna go. I still get out and shoot some film. Would definitely try any fresh product.
06-14-2021, 11:30 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
I really don't care if it is a new or re-packaged emulsion. The main story is that film is not dead. It's very hopeful to hear about "new" film rolls coming up and not only older ones discontinued. We'll see where this is gonna go. I still get out and shoot some film. Would definitely try any fresh product.
I'm not sure I agree with you. There is no "new film", just new packaging. I do agree that film's not dead and its nice to see people like Ilford introduce new film and Kodak and to some extent Fujifilm reintroduce discontinued films. When Fuji bring back Neopan 400 and 1600 then I'll be a happy bunny.
06-14-2021, 01:50 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Kodak were hinting they were going to release some new stuff this year (well, one new film and one resurrection). I'm happy with anything that keeps sales-up and the film world alive. Ten years ago all we ever heard about was stuff being discontinued.
06-14-2021, 01:56 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The shots and comments shared on Emulsive makes me think this film should both push and pull quite nicely. I've been really curious what this film really is. I really liked what I saw in the samples shared in Emulsive's quicky review.

Unless Ilfotec LC29 is capable of amazing feats I don't see how that film could be remotely related to Fomapan 400. Nevermind nobody going on record as suggesting that Fomapan 400 is good to push to EI 3200. I mean I like Foma 400 but I'm not crazy in that way...
06-14-2021, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell W. Barnes Quote
The more manufacturers producing film, the less chance it has of becoming a niche market, surely?
Absolutely.

Unfortunately though, repackaged films like this don't mean more manufacturers producing film, just more sellers rebranding the same old films.

To be clear, I don't have an issue with this. Anyone treating film as a viable market is a Good Thing. I'd just like to see as much attention given to genuinely new films like Pancro, as seems to be heaped on every time a film influencer designs a pretty box for Kentmere.
06-15-2021, 02:06 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote

To be clear, I don't have an issue with this.
Neither do I. How many genuinely different motor-cars are there in the world? Or wristwatches? Which is the largest, most productive part of any modern multi-national industry? That's right... It's the 'badge-engineering' department! There may only be ultimately a handful of manufacturers, but as long as they turn out something that is deemed worthy of sale, so be it. I guess the film and motor car analogy is that from time-to-time, a new model is produced that stands out and has characteristics that sets it apart from the run-of-the-mill stuff.

Brands are a big thing and it's very hard to move away from that: packaging can make all the difference. I love Kentmere 100 but I wouldn't choose the box it's in. I also love Foma 400 Action but wouldn't choose the standard packaging either. But put it in its 'retro' box and wa-heyyy!! You're buying into a world long-gone and nicely forgetting the huge industrial conglomeration that gets you there.