Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2021, 09:59 PM   #16

Original Poster
here is what im talking about. well, one of the issues.

Attached Images

06-23-2021, 10:04 PM   #17

Original Poster
i have almost a roll of these from today!!! what am i doing wrong?? when i load the film, it looks loose when i close the back and turning the rewind knob seems to just make it worse.
had to crop to get this.

I am a complete noob when it comes to this.. im 50 and have shot film but my EOS 1N is auto... so, im sure that it could be me.

---------- Post added 06-23-21 at 10:06 PM ----------

this is the 35mm f2
what is the best 35mm m42?
Attached Images

06-23-2021, 10:24 PM - 1 Like   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Evertking Quote
when i load the film, it looks loose when i close the back and turning the rewind knob seems to just make it worse.
had to crop to get this.
It the CLA was done locally, it may be helpful to go back to the shop and have them show you how to properly load the film. If there is a mechanical problem, they will see it then and should offer to repair for free.

For reference, the image below was taken from the Spotmatic camera manual and shows what the film should look like when loaded along with instructions. If the film is loose when the door is shut, it is probable it was not wound on enough that it is taunt between the sprockets and the canister.

Name:  spotmatic_film_load.png
Views: 265
Size:  160.8 KB

Steve
06-24-2021, 12:35 PM   #19

Do you scan your films yourself? Looks to me as if your scan scan frames dont's match the actual film frames. Maybe a scanning issue and nothing wrong with your camera?

06-24-2021, 01:14 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Probably a silly question, but if the film gets slack when you turn the rewind crank, are you turning it the correct way ? To tighten the film, turn the crank clockwise, as if you were rewinding a completely exposed film, but without depressing the rewind button on the base of the camera.
06-24-2021, 02:13 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HorstF Quote
Do you scan your films yourself? Looks to me as if your scan scan frames dont's match the actual film frames. Maybe a scanning issue and nothing wrong with your camera?
Getting two frames in one scan with no gap is pretty hard to do, even by accident.

Steve
06-24-2021, 03:04 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Apart from peace of mind that the film is advancing, there is no reason to take up the slack in the canister with the rewind crank. The film is held flat by the pressure plate and advanced by the sprockets. I must admit I'm stumped as to what is going on. It would be helpful if you could photograph a strip of film so we could see the issue more clearly. It doesn't need to be super sharp or colour balanced, just pop a strip on a light source and take a snap.

06-24-2021, 05:10 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I don't think there's anything wrong with your camera.

That looks like a scanner issue where the frames are being automatically (and incorrectly) selected.

A photo of a negative strip with these 'split' images would help immensely.
06-24-2021, 05:24 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The image you have in post#16 looks like Nick mentioned... the scanner wasn't lined up right.
That black bar looks like the normal frame spacing, just in the wrong place in the scan....

I have the 35mm f2 Takumar (the second version) and love it.
S-M-C/Super Takumar 35mm F2 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Wide-Angle Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

-Eric
06-24-2021, 10:14 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
That black bar looks like the normal frame spacing, just in the wrong place in the scan....
I did not see the black bar on first look (blame the monitor), but now I see what you folk are talking about. If that is the explanation, the rest of the left-hand image should be on the right on the next frame.

Steve
06-25-2021, 05:10 AM   #26
Pentaxian

What is the distance between black bars (clear spaces) on your film frames (how many sprocket holes)?
It seems to me that either you are shooting half frame, or your scanner holder is misaligned
Do negatives look something like this?

If there are 9 sprocket holes between frames your scanner is misaligned

Check the sizes here:
http://www.rmm3d.com/3d.encyclopedia/formats/on.film.html
06-25-2021, 05:45 AM   #27

Yes, an image of the negative showing the sprocket holes and more than two frames would be of great help.
06-25-2021, 06:19 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Apart from peace of mind that the film is advancing, there is no reason to take up the slack in the canister with the rewind crank. The film is held flat by the pressure plate and advanced by the sprockets. I must admit I'm stumped as to what is going on. It would be helpful if you could photograph a strip of film so we could see the issue more clearly. It doesn't need to be super sharp or colour balanced, just pop a strip on a light source and take a snap.
I agree. I only suggested it to find out IF the rewind knob is turning at the start - so that he knows if he got the film on correctly. Totally concur that there is no requirement to remove slack.
07-06-2021, 09:59 PM   #29

Original Poster
I'm at my wit's end!!! I taped the button on the bottom the you need for rewind cause I thought maybe I bumped it.. but still slack in the film!! I load it and make sure the "teeth" are catching the film and when shooting I still see it!! I watch the rewind knob as I advance the film and some times it moves and others it does not... It's like there is slack in the film.

What am I doing wrong??? I LOVE THE SETUP... an all black Spotmatic with the 35 f2 HELP PLEASE
07-07-2021, 12:57 AM - 1 Like   #30

Original Poster
Ok, yes... YES!!! LOL... It is my scanner. I feel so dumb... What is wrong with the scanner? It's a new Epson v600, still got the plastic on it. Thanks for all the help!!

---------- Post added 07-07-21 at 12:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
I don't think there's anything wrong with your camera.

That looks like a scanner issue where the frames are being automatically (and incorrectly) selected.

A photo of a negative strip with these 'split' images would help immensely.
Thank you... THANK YOU how do I fix this?