Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2021, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
no kidding.....man thats so neat the LX does that and you have tried a good variety for the like
I had an EOS3 and took this shot on Fuji RVP100F many years before I got the Pentax LX. I didn't notice but the EOS3 was telling me underexposed because it turns out that all Canons with aperture priority - film and digital, max out at 30 seconds.

Many years later - notice there is now the bridge bypassing the Hoover Dam, I took a similar angle using my LX with Kodak Ektar 100 in aperture priority mode lasting about 30 minutes.

06-22-2021, 01:37 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Those images are stunning

Re the S1a, you're right, the ergonomics and simplicity are wonderful. The only small issue is the mirror sticking up at slow speeds. I have a light meter on my phone so that's sorted. I also have some lovely M42 lenses from 28mm-135mm. As for the P30 suggestion, my mate has one and its a lovely little camera I like the more retro silver and black look but wouldn't pass up a nice P30
06-22-2021, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I took a similar angle using my LX with Kodak Ektar 100 in aperture priority mode lasting about 30 minutes.
fantastic! too cool been avoiding the LX due to price but this may very well change my mind...... fascinated by the AE!
06-22-2021, 09:31 PM - 4 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
fantastic! too cool been avoiding the LX due to price but this may very well change my mind...... fascinated by the AE!
This might be of interest when you get the LX. The LX meters off the film and decides if it has taken in enough light for autoexposure and because of this, it has no way of telling you in advance how long iit is going to take. So during these very long exposures, I have to occassionally peak through the VF to see if the exposure has been ended. You can imagine this gets old pretty quickly as it could be hours long! So I posed this question on the forum Shutter indicator? and got a response on how to do this. I designed a cheap gizmo and detailed this in my thread Shutter open indicator for long auto exposure .

So I took this device attached to my LX to the Santa Cruz Wharf and took this shot on Kodak Ektar 100 using the LX autoexposure lasting about a half hour long.

Convenient as the LED indicator is, I still had to wait not knowing how long it would actually take!

Just so you have a reference, this is what my celphone see of the scene taken above.

The LED was drapped over to the back of my LX and you can see it to the right middle of the frame.

06-23-2021, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
So I took this device attached to my LX
thats cool and loving these auto long exposres!!
06-24-2021, 02:56 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aw, I want to put a film in my AP now!
06-24-2021, 03:51 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I actually have my eye on an me super. I really want to try out that long exposure method though

06-24-2021, 04:17 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I actually have my eye on an me super.
super choice! really enjoy shooting it and the winder makes it that much "cooler"
06-24-2021, 11:56 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
super choice! really enjoy shooting it and the winder makes it that much "cooler"
I doubt I will throw in my lot with film but I can see it becoming a reset that makes me a better photographer
06-25-2021, 04:02 PM   #40
Pentaxian

I can see it becoming a reset that makes me a better photographer
practice n improvements does make one better and film does give a mind set to slow down for the shot versus snapping away n hoping fer a good one in a bunch
06-25-2021, 08:47 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I actually have my eye on an me super. I really want to try out that long exposure method though
The ME Super is not the reliable camera your S1A is. On the S1A, your slow speed troubles with the mirror may be addressed by removing the 4 screw from the base plate and using a toothpick to dab some 3 in 1 oil onto moving parts. The S1A is a jewel.
06-25-2021, 11:56 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
The ME Super is not the reliable camera your S1A is. On the S1A, your slow speed troubles with the mirror may be addressed by removing the 4 screw from the base plate and using a toothpick to dab some 3 in 1 oil onto moving parts. The S1A is a jewel.
I actually did just that last night today is test day.
06-26-2021, 06:27 AM   #43

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's your favourite film?
I used to shoot some cheap colour negative film for some years in the past but since then I mainly focused on digital. I used to shoot Fuji Superia 400, fuji C200 and Kodak Gold 200 and was very satisfied with those.

C200 might be my current favourite, probably not the sharpest/most detailed film but it has some nice grain that I personally like. After joining a photography club, I'm hoping to get back to film photography with Rollei Superpan 200 monochrome film.
06-26-2021, 07:09 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by andrewd Quote
I have had good experience with AG photolab in the UK.
Done and dusted

---------- Post added 26-06-21 at 07:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RedRuff Quote
I use AG Photolab. Their turnaround times can be next-day via web transfer which is really convenient, and the scans come out fine:

I checked the lab in Manchester and it was £5 dearer. I have gone for prints (it being my first roll) and digital scans and the whole lot cost me £18. Future processing where I just get a digital copy is about £7 which is pretty affordable happy days if I get any decent images I will post them

Re. the S1a, oiling it seems to have worked with the sticky mirror, woohoo

---------- Post added 26-06-21 at 07:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
That's what I did, only it was watch oil, and the toothpick was a watchmakers screwdriver thanks
06-26-2021, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #45

I too have re-ignited my love for film.
I worked for Kodak for many years, so, obviously very biased towards Kodak film.
Still made on the machines that i worked on. So, if you go that route, know that I had my hands on it!

As for the gear, I shoot the K1000 + ME Super, and lately have been using the Leica R4 and R4s.